• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

HD settings and stuff

Monarch

Distinguished Member
Hello people,

I've just bought a Panasonic TH-37PX80 and set up my PS3 on it for my first HD gaming experience and was wondering about the settings and stuff. I set it to automatic and it set it to send a 1080p signal, even though the TV is 720p (because it can proccess a 1080p signal). Anyway, I was wondering whether it would be better to set it to display 720p instead so does anyone have any input?

Also, what about the other other settings? what else should I turn on/off?

I've had a slight problem as well which I've read a bit about and there doesn't appear to be a specific solution to. On the picture (most noticeable on the XMB) there is a kind of static interference (like 'snow' on an untuned analogue channel but green-ish). I've got 2 different HDMI cables and it happens on both. There not too bad cables, they were both about £5 each (one was reduced from about £20) and they're both short (1.5m). Is this because it's sending a 1080p signal or is it something else? I haven't had a chance to get it back on since I noticed it earlier. It isn't noticeable from further than a couple of feet away but it's annoying me :thumbsup:. And this doesn't happen on SD when watching normal TV, I didn't notice it on the Blu-ray movie I watched either (through the PS3) but i didnt look for it then

thanks

alffjeld

Established Member
i would have set the PS3 to send 720p, so you dont let the tv do one extra scaling. set the output on the PS3 to rgb limited ( i think it is the right), not full. that may help your green snow.
if not, set the telly to a black screen, if the "grenn snow# is visible, try to lower the contrast, and see if that helps, it helps on my old plasma.
dont know if it will help you m8, but might be worth a try :)

matr69

Established Member
Hello people,

I've just bought a Panasonic TH-37PX80 and set up my PS3 on it for my first HD gaming experience and was wondering about the settings and stuff. I set it to automatic and it set it to send a 1080p signal, even though the TV is 720p (because it can proccess a 1080p signal). Anyway, I was wondering whether it would be better to set it to display 720p instead so does anyone have any input?

Also, what about the other other settings? what else should I turn on/off?

I've had a slight problem as well which I've read a bit about and there doesn't appear to be a specific solution to. On the picture (most noticeable on the XMB) there is a kind of static interference (like 'snow' on an untuned analogue channel but green-ish). I've got 2 different HDMI cables and it happens on both. There not too bad cables, they were both about £5 each (one was reduced from about £20) and they're both short (1.5m). Is this because it's sending a 1080p signal or is it something else? I haven't had a chance to get it back on since I noticed it earlier. It isn't noticeable from further than a couple of feet away but it's annoying me :thumbsup:. And this doesn't happen on SD when watching normal TV, I didn't notice it on the Blu-ray movie I watched either (through the PS3) but i didnt look for it then

thanks

Turn the brightness down a bit but not too much to ruin the blacks (as in too dark). You can't eliminate it altogether but you can reduce so it is virtually invisible in all but the darkest scenes. Contrast doesn't really alter it much at all.

I have found the best setting using either normal or cinema is having the brightness 2 or 3 clicks below halfway. If you are on limited with the PS3 then that is fine, it is the TV that has this effect not the PS3.

The PX80s have this as did the PX70s before it, not all people see it though.

Do you have Virgin cable by any chance?

Last edited:

Monarch

Distinguished Member
Turn the brightness down a bit but not too much to ruin the blacks (as in too dark). You can't eliminate it altogether but you can reduce so it is virtually invisible in all but the darkest scenes. Contrast doesn't really alter it much at all.

I have found the best setting using either normal or cinema is having the brightness 2 or 3 clicks below halfway. If you are on limited with the PS3 then that is fine, it is the TV that has this effect not the PS3.

The PX80s have this as did the PX70s before it, not all people see it though.

Do you have Virgin cable by any chance?

cheers for the advice, the problem isnt actually noticeable from further than a few feet away, i feel like im missing out though so i'll try and fiddle with the settings on the TV, however, i am getting another TV for my bedroom which will be used for my PS3 so hopefully that wont have the problem (its not a panny).

And i do have virgin cable, although in the nearish future i may be changing to sky HD, will that have anything to do with it? what if i unplugged it from the TV before i turned on the PS3?

blackpants

Established Member
Set the tv to cinema, contrast and brightness halfway, colour to suit, sharpness all the way down, colour balance warm and all other processing off.

Set the PS3 to automatic detect. It will then do blu-ray at 1080 and games at 720. RGB limited is correct and you should also set it to superwhite on and everything else auto.

About the green snow. It is perfectly normal and just the way panasonic pdp shades black to make grey. If you want to further your knowledge get stuck into the calibration threads here and all will be revealed. In short though if you run a pluge to set black level. The black and btb area of the pattern should have no fizzing(green snow) and the 2% above will have fizzing. The black level is set correctly. As you have found though further than 2 or 3 feet you can't see it anyway. Nothing to worry about

thanks

Monarch

Distinguished Member
Set the tv to cinema, contrast and brightness halfway, colour to suit, sharpness all the way down, colour balance warm and all other processing off.

Set the PS3 to automatic detect. It will then do blu-ray at 1080 and games at 720. RGB limited is correct and you should also set it to superwhite on and everything else auto.

About the green snow. It is perfectly normal and just the way panasonic pdp shades black to make grey. If you want to further your knowledge get stuck into the calibration threads here and all will be revealed. In short though if you run a pluge to set black level. The black and btb area of the pattern should have no fizzing(green snow) and the 2% above will have fizzing. The black level is set correctly. As you have found though further than 2 or 3 feet you can't see it anyway. Nothing to worry about

thanks

cheers, at least i dont have to pay for new stuff and as long as it doesnt effect the TV in general its ok. Im getting another TV for my room soon, it wont be a panasonic (it will be a plasma), is this problem specific to Panny panels or could it come on another one, im thinking about the 32PG6000 because its not too expensive, maybe not as good as a panny but only £359

and the stuff in bold I dont understand :confused: could you explain a bit more, cheers :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom