1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD Set - Enquiry

Discussion in 'TVs' started by soni, Nov 29, 2004.

1. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Can somedbody please clarify the following:-

I went to Comet in Greenwich yesterday, to see the Tosh DLP. I travelled from Maidstone in Kent. I fell in love with the design immediately, it looked absolutely beautiful and i personally believe that it’s the best looking DLP R/P. However, what I didn’t like was the picture quality. The picture looked grainy and bitty, and this was standing 8 ft away. I presently own a 28” 100hz Tosh, and a Tosh DVD player, and due to knowing my DVD players capabilities, took this along with an expensive scart lead. When I arrived, the Tosh DLP was already linked up to a Tosh DVD player via component, and the picture as I said looked bitty and grainy. I then asked them to link it up to my DVD player – as I’ve never had a bad picture produced by it, along with my scart. The picture was exactly the same as with their Tosh DVD player via component, it was no better, no worse. My question is this:-

Is the picture quality an issue with the TV/DLP technology, or is it a combination of the quality of DVD’s and the size of the TV it was being shown on – i.e., 46”. Would the bitty and grainy picture be cured once hi def is broadcasted, and the blue-ray movie format is released, or will it be a permanent issue with any media fed to it.

I don’t mind purchasing the set and having less picture quality than my current 28” if its only going to be for a year until Hi Def is broadcaster, but what I don’t want is to spend the best part of 2K on a set that is not going to be capable of producing as good a picture as my 28” – just to have a bigger screen size – it think this would be pointless.

Any replies/comments to the above would be very much appreciated.

2. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681

I've seen similar issues with the SAGEM DLP set in John Lewis in Oxford Street.

When fed a PAL analogue off-air signal, or a DVB-T RGB feed, the picture is really rather nasty - with loads of artefacts, and really noticable grain. I wouldn't be able to watch this as a normal TV.

When fed an HDTV feed from an NEC PC running HD replay, the quality is massively better - though still not perfect (and not the same quality as HD CRT displays I've seen in the US and in the UK fed from HD VTRs)

This seems to imply to me that either the SDTV to HD processing used in the set is not great, or that it is displaying all the nastiness we don't normally see in SD signals.

My feeling is that in some cases the processing in the set is to blame, as the artefacts looked very similar to those of cheap 100Hz TVs. I'm used to watching SD stuff on Grade 1 and 2 broadcast monitors, and the SAGEM was showing stuff that I wouldn't expect to see on a high quality SD monitor.

3. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Stephen: What HD CRT's are their available in the UK? I've just posted this to you on another thread, but just in case you don't get it, i thought i would ask here to.

As i said, i looked at the Tosh DLP in Greenwich Comet, and the set looked lovely apart from the DVD picture not being as clear as i would have liked. However, since then, i have been to Sevenoaks Sound & Vision in Sevenoaks, and they showed me a Denon DVD 3910 player attached to a Sharp LCD panel (i think). It looked absolutely brillians, and the guy said that the player upscales the picture to either 720 or 1080, i've since decided to get the 2910 as apparently its as good on video but not as good on audio. The guy said that this player would probably sought the picture out on the Tosh as although they don't sell the Tosh DLP he thinks that the problem was with the player on display in Comet and mine for that matter, not having a scaler! What do you think?

4. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Apart from broadcast monitors, the only 50Hz HD CRT TV I know of is a JVC model. Not sure how good it is.

I believe that some of the Philips HD sets sold in the US will work with 576/50i inputs - not sure about 1080/50i.

As for the other stuff - I'm not an expert - though I have a critical eye. The problem is likely to be the scaler/de-interlacer process - so if the DVD player does it better than the internal TV device then benefits may well be seen...

5. Quickbeam

Quickbeam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are a few 1080i RPTVs available, such as the Samsung SP43W6HLX, but I don't think any of them have HDMI inputs, which would apparently make them unsuitable for Sky HDTV broadcasts. Another point worth noting is that if 720p is the primary format used by Sky and other UK broadcasters, the 720p signal would end up being sliced and diced to 1080i with an inevitable reduction in picture quality as very few CRT HDTVs, if any, can display 720p natively.

I have to agree with the comments on the Sagem based on the demo I saw. Maybe it was poorly set up and not a true demonstration of what the Sagem can do, but the WMV-HD demo looked a bit noisy to me, and my overall impression was of a slight improvement over PAL, but no 'wow' factor.