HD->SD conversion problem

akkers

I have come to realise that I will not be able to edit in HD; my pc is just not up to it. So I have decided to go down the SD route.

I have tried converting the AVCHD footage to SD avi using TMPgencEx software (MS AVI codec) but the results have been very poor. The resulting SD footage is very poor in terms of colour and it has artefacts. Totally no go.

Is this the correct codec to use (its the only one for avi that I can see)? Also what size should I be setting? I guess 1920x1080 does not quite downsize to 720x576.

figrin_dan

I have just discovered AVS Video converter which has done a nice job for me taking the .MP4s from my camera and converting to dvd files. You do have to pay a little amount but the demo version clearly gives a guide to how the outcome will look so you wont be buying blind. It's also much quicker than the bundled software I got.

I am now trying to see if it will output an HD file that I can play on my new Blu Ray player.

akkers

Footage is from Canon HF100. I want to convert this so that I can use in premiere. As I said before my pc is ot powerful enough to edit HD in premiere.

senu

Distinguished Member
I would convert to HDV ( mpeg2 1080i)which is likely to remain same quality as AVCHD but much easier to edit and play on most modern PCs
The poor quality of the SD from AVCHD is down to TMpegEnc and how you are using it
. You could tre y Adoobe Premiere Elements 7 is you must edit with an adobe product..:)

akkers

I am having a nightmare here. I have tried converting the HD vids to HDV format (1270x720 and 1440x1080) and try to edit in premiere. I can just about edit but the video is not very stable (it is kind of jittery/shaky especially when there is movement). I have tried various other permutations but no success. I get jittery videos and sometimes the video is stuck in middle of a black square. All this on TmpgEx.

I have tried a demo version of VoltaicHD but this produces a full size 1920x1080 avi file which is way too big to edit in premiere. Worse than where I started off with.

There has got be a way of converting HD video to SD or something similar. This is crazy!

senu

Distinguished Member
Do you have Nero Vision?

senu

Distinguished Member
Nero Vision 5 ( from Nero 8)
Ironically wirk flow would be
Make a DVD.. AVCHD
then output as files HDV..
Worth a go
Otherwise Adobe Première may not be what you need unless you have CS3/4 and a super PC!:)

akkers

Assuming that I am going to edit in premiere and burn to DVD what settings should I be using to generate the file for editing?

16x9 or 4x3

128-x720 or 1440x1080

Progressive or interlaced

A n d r e w

Assuming that I am going to edit in premiere and burn to DVD what settings should I be using to generate the file for editing?
You need to import into your NLE at settings that match the source video, in your case 1920x1080 interlaced 16:9. As for outputting a file suitable for burning to DVD, stay with 16:9 and keep it interlaced (assuming the DVDs are destined to be viewed on television sets), but as for the size / resolution options - what editing software are you using?

senu

Distinguished Member

16x9 or 4x3

128-x720 or 1440x1080

Progressive or interlaced
For DVD (SD) 576 x 720 is the standard otherwise it will still be scaled down to that for PAL mpeg2
However you can retain the 1440x 1080 and edit as HDV , then output to DVD ( which will still result in 576 x720 resolution files)
As adviced keep it interlaced and dont change the aspect ratio from 16:9

akkers

I have found that I can load the raw HF100 files into AP pro and then export out in avi format at 720x576 with 16:9 ratio. This gives me good enough quality. The resulting avi I can load in AP and edit as usual.

However, when I create an AP project (DV/Widescreen) and import the converted avi files, the footage seems to have the top and bottom of the picture cropped. So peoples' heads and feet are chopped off.

What I would like is a setting where the whole picture shows, even if it means letterbox at top/bottom (although I dont want bars at the side). So that I will get a letter-box pic on older tvs and a proper ful picture on a widescreen tv.

Are there any further settings which would give me this?

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom