• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

HD Resolution Output

davybaker

I'd set the HD output of the box to 1080i. Most if not all of SKY's HD content will be (or have been) filmed in that. Even if your screen is not a full 1920 by 1080 pixel layout it'll still look pretty good!

colin45

Standard Member
davybaker said:
I'd set the HD output of the box to 1080i. Most if not all of SKY's HD content will be (or have been) filmed in that. Even if your screen is not a full 1920 by 1080 pixel layout it'll still look pretty good!

Thanks for the quick answer I have a Sony X and have been using the Automatic setting, will 1080i be the best setting be for SD viewing as well

Tony Hoyle

With 1080i you don't get widescreen switching, so it really depends on how much 4:3 material you watch. Personally I think Automatic also gives a much better SD picture but it depends on the TV I guess... try both.

colin45

Standard Member
Tony Hoyle said:
With 1080i you don't get widescreen switching, so it really depends on how much 4:3 material you watch. Personally I think Automatic also gives a much better SD picture but it depends on the TV I guess... try both.

I am a bit new to all this but on SD when I tried the Automatic setting (the resolution was set to I think 576p) the program planner was not very clear I tried it on 1080i and the planner was much clearer but I do not know if this is a good guide to use. It seems to me that depending on what program I watch the PQ. is different so I am having problems deciding which is best

Tony Hoyle

The planner is scaled to the resolution so isn't really a good way of comparing - you need to look at SD programming and see what you prefer.

For me it's no contest since some of the channels that I watch (SciFi, Paramount Comedy) are not widescreen so 1080i simply won't work.

B

btocher

Tony Hoyle said:
For me it's no contest since some of the channels that I watch (SciFi, Paramount Comedy) are not widescreen so 1080i simply won't work.

I'm in the same position. I much prefer viewing widescreen, but I do watch some stuff that's 4:3 (CNN and some old TV series, for example). The automatic setting works just fine for me.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom