HD-recording

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Mar©, Nov 1, 2004.

1. Mar©

Mar©

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am a newbee considering DVD-recording, but I am a digital photographer, so I am familiar with computers etc...

What I was wondering: how can a DVD-recorder keep its harddisk "clean" ???

I mean: on a PC you have to defragment your harddisk regulary an to chek it on errors etc...

How does a DVD-hardisk recorder manage this ???

2. sweat100

sweat100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If i am not wrong, there is a format function on the DVD recorder itself. So it will start recording from the start of the HDD again after you done a format. And this is how they prevent fragmentation. Fragmentation is only likely if you do alot of ads editing of a movie and so on. I dont see that the HDD "slows" down because of this.

3. Mar©

Mar©

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your (quick) reply ! :smashin:

4. Nelviticus

Nelviticus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Also, the files on a HDD recorder will all be very large. Even if you do get fragmentation after a time it won't be as bad as on a PC's hard drive where there are thousands and thousands of files, mostly tiny.

I'm guessing that the logic used to write files to the disc will be different to the logic that Windows uses. Windows' file system is designed to cope with constant changes to many of the files, which can each grow or shrink in size many times during their lifetimes. The file system that a HDD recorder uses won't need to cope with this so it can be designed differently - your files may shrink when you erase bits but they will never grow. It's files growing that's the biggest cause of fragmentation, because there's not always room for the new data next to the old data.

I suspect that it would take a very long time before a HDD recorder's disc became fragmented enough for you to have problems, if it ever happened at all.

Regards

Nelviticus

5. Nelviticus

Nelviticus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    D'oh, I've just realised what I said about files never growing. That's complete nonsense of course - when you hit the 'record' button that's exactly what happens until you stop recording.

Nevertheless the argument for a file system designed to cope with a different style of file access still holds true.

Regards

Nelviticus

6. Mar©

Mar©

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Nelviticus ! :thumbsup: