1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"HD Ready"

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by rhawk, Mar 7, 2005.

1. rhawk

rhawk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everyone. I'm near to completion in converting my garage into a dedicated home cinema room. Now to buy all the kit !! I'll be getting Sky Hi-Def when it appears but I'm unsure whether or not you need (or if there's such a thing as) an "HD Ready" Amp as well as the TV screen to receive the "HD" pictures. :confused:

2. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    most amps state in their brochures whether the component switching is HD ready!

3. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    Afaik there are no amps on the horizon which have the next-gen codecs (DTS/DD lossless etc.) Apart from that, amps are beginning to appear which have DVI and HDMI (although this is at the higher end of the integrated market).

Just to remind you, a display device has to cover the following requirements to be awarded the label "HD ready":

1. Display, display engine - The minimum native resolution of the display (e.g. LCD, PDP) or display engine (e.g. DLP) is 720 physical lines in wide aspect ratio.

2. Video Interfaces
    * The display device accepts HD input via: Analogue YPbPr1; and DVI or HDMI

* HD capable inputs accept the following HD video formats: 1280x720 @ 50 and 60Hz progressive ("720p"), and 1920x1080 @ 50 and 60Hz interlaced ("1080i")

* The DVI or HDMI input supports content protection (HDCP).

4. rhawk

rhawk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks lads. So to sum up, to receive Sky hi-def when it arrives, will I need one of the newer amps that has a DVI/HDMI input. :)

5. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Not quite.
    Those inputs will likely be pass throughs.

You need to wait for newer amps that have the newer HD codecs. (ie Dolby Digital HD and DTS HD)
    Once these codecs are out, new amps will include them.

Conection wise, you need to make sure the new amp has an HDMI input that accepts the digital surround sound signal from the player. (HDMI also works to pass the sound from the player to the amp)
    Current amps that have HDMI only pass the signal through like a switch box. (picture only)

There are no HD ready amps out there yet. It will take at least another year. So be patient and wait. If you splash out on a top of the range amp now, youl have to replace it in a year or 2 from now. If you want to get underway sooner with DVD. Then get a much much cheaper amp for the time being. Same for DVD playback.

Once Blu Ray and HD DVD are out, then you can get the new amp and players depending on which format you choose to follow. (again need to watch out here!)

Make sure as Tejstar said, to get a display that is true HD ready.

Make sure it has the propper conection and resolution for the future. Im sure you dont want to spend a lot of money on something that wont work a couple of years down the road!

6. rhawk

rhawk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks so much, you explained that very well. One last question ..... Is it possible that an adaptor will be made available with the new codecs to make current amps 'HD Ready' or will it have to be a brand new 'HD Ready' amp ?

7. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    Only the higher grade amps have upgradeable firmare. Most integrated amps around at the moment would not support the hd-codecs afaik. I would have thought that you have to buy a new amp to take advantage of them, although not much info has been released on this yet. :)

8. rhawk

rhawk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Tejstar. Do you have any examples of upgradeable higher grade amps available at the minute. I was looking at the Marantz SR7500 or the Panasonic SA-XR70 but feel it would be pointless buying one of these if I'll need a new amp for 'HD'. :)

9. rhawk

rhawk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, at last I've made my decision. After weighing up my options, I am going to go for the Marantz SR7500. I've been offered a set of Jamo E 700PDD speakers at a reasonable price. The Jamos get great reviews, does anyone know if the Marantz and the Jamo will compliment each other, or are there any potential problems ?? :)

10. rhawk

rhawk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just one problem !! I can't find anywhere online selling the SR7500. Could anyone who has this amp please let me know where they got it. :smashin:

11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    other thing to look for is 6/8 channel analogue inputs as it might be possible to buy players with new codecs for audio on them when the formats appear...

12. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    Try AV-Land.

13. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    An important point to make is that DTS-HD and Dolby Digital Plus will be backwards compatible, that is Blu-ray and HD-DVD players will be able to downconvert the respective audio formats into legacy DTS @ 1536kbps (when needed) and Dolby Digital @ 640kbps. The new audio formats won't make old equipment obsolete, they'll just give us something new to hunger for. ;)