1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD Ready vs HD Compatible

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by ABBASAAM, Oct 12, 2005.

1. ABBASAAM

ABBASAAM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Could I apologise for my lack of knowledge but could someone out there explain what the difference between a HD Ready tv and a HD compatible tv is. I am contemplating buying a Sony KDEV42A12U Plasma TV. Some retailers say it is HD Ready whilst others say its HD compatible. The Sony Centre in Ealing Broadway has a HD Ready sticker on the TV but Sony's Website makes no reference to its HD status.

Also I've seen it advertised by Robert Whyte : £1550 which includes a 5 yr warranty - has anyone seen a better offer on this TV.

Many thanks in advance

2. tjradiohead

tjradiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Try a search, this subject has been done to death, so you are unlikely to get a detailed response because its all been talked about before. But do a search because the info you are after is here :smashin:

3. Jim_Fear

Jim_Fear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    The TV is HD Compatible simply because it doesn't not have a minimum of a 720p reolution, thats usually the best indicator but they also have to support 1080i at both 50 and 60Hz and a few othe specs. HD Compatible means it can accept a high definition signal but it will scale it down to a non high definition resolution.

HD Ready means it can support the features and resolutions properly, but some manufacturers bend the rules slightly.

Than Sony panel only has a resolution of 852 x 480 meaning its a standard definition display. You could get a better plasma if you wanted, you could get a panasonic PWD8, its quite possibly the best SD panel you can get but you'll need a few extra goodies such as extra input boards and a sound system.