HD Ready TV is not required

Phazers

Currently using a 28" Widescreen CRT from Panasonic. We have been offered a hand-me-down 32" Philips LCD (non HD) from the in-laws as they are moving up to a larger screen.

Now I have done my homework and understand what HD is about and I believe we don't currently need a HD Ready TV.

Reasoning:
  • HD is currently unavailable on Freeview and won't be until at least 2011/2012 in our area
  • Any current TV with a Digital TV reciever built in will not receive HD and additional set top box will be required.
  • I won't be paying Sky minimum of £25 per month plus £300 setup and hardware for limited HD (no sports or movie channels in package)
  • I don't watch many DVDs so even an upscaling player won't be purchased
  • I won't be buying an XBox 360/ PS3 so won't utilise the HD element of those either.

My logic following this reasoning is to have the hand-me-down TV then in 5 years time buy a True HD TV when HD becomes more widely available.

Have I missed something here - convince me otherwise.

Thanks

Note: I am suggesting it is not required for my circumsatnaces/reasons only not for all.

BioHzrd

I may be wrong in some sense...But as far as i know the reasons you have givin are good enough to say no you do not need an HD TV for the things you will be using it for and waitin the said 5 years to purchas one would in my mind set be a good idea....

P

pegasus101

If you do not feel you need one why buy one ? If you have seen Hi Def pictures on tellys in shops and thought its not for me yet fair play.

rounddodger

Standard Member
Currently using a 28" Widescreen CRT from Panasonic. We have been offered a hand-me-down 32" Philips LCD (non HD) from the in-laws as they are moving up to a larger screen.

Now I have done my homework and understand what HD is about and I believe we don't currently need a HD Ready TV.

Reasoning:
  • HD is currently unavailable on Freeview and won't be until at least 2011/2012 in our area
  • Any current TV with a Digital TV reciever built in will not receive HD and additional set top box will be required.
  • I won't be paying Sky minimum of £25 per month plus £300 setup and hardware for limited HD (no sports or movie channels in package)
  • I don't watch many DVDs so even an upscaling player won't be purchased
  • I won't be buying an XBox 360/ PS3 so won't utilise the HD element of those either.

My logic following this reasoning is to have the hand-me-down TV then in 5 years time buy a True HD TV when HD becomes more widely available.

Have I missed something here - convince me otherwise.

Thanks

Note: I am suggesting it is not required for my circumsatnaces/reasons only not for all.

So hang on..

You don't watch many DVDs.

You don't play games.

You won't buy SKY.

Why in the hell are you even considering a new TV let alone a HDTV!

rogerft

The things you have not mentioned is if you are happy with the picture performance of the Philips you have been offered and how old it is.. How good is its freeview performance and how does it compare with your CRT. Have you been to somewhere like John Lewis who usually set their TV's up wel and seen the latest sets showing Freeview.

One thing that has happened with LCD's is that they have improved considerably over the past few years and their scalers are much better.
The only non HD TV that did not require some form of scaling was the Sharp 26/32" P Series where the LCD pannel was specifically desigbed to match the PAL TV signal. NON HD Sets still have to Scale to fit and this can compromise the picture, thats why you n ever used to see LCD's displaying TV only DVD's.

The latest LCD's ie HDef 720p have good scalers that can make freeview pictures look very good such that you can appreciate extra detail in HD programmes being broadcast now.

The other things are how often you watch TV, and if you can afford to buy new... Forget about HD as it is a bit of a red herring in your arguments ... and of course ... where will you be in 5 years time !!!

Broxi1979

So hang on..

You don't watch many DVDs.

You don't play games.

You won't buy SKY.

Or hanging around a forum for AV enthusiasts and telling everyone why he doesn't need an HDTV. Which it really sounds like you don't IMO.

Are you saying that you are being given an old LCD TV for free? if so, what question are you putting forward?
:confused:

P

pegasus101

If people cannot afford Hd tv dont buy one there is no pressure, there are good hd ready sets that would be fine to use at least they are HD ready. I watch dvds, xbox 360 and will get the hd add on.

In five years who knows what will be out there. Thing is how much will it cost ?

Phazers

If you do not feel you need one why buy one ? If you have seen Hi Def pictures on tellys in shops and thought its not for me yet fair play.

Thanks for the responses

Why 'obtain' a different set? Simple - space. Put the LCD on the wall opens up the corner where the CRT currently resides in a not a particularly big lounge.

rogerft - some interesting points. I haven't compared it to our existing CRT but I could do that. I haven't seen it on Freeview as they can't get it. Could afford to by new if need be.

Phazers

Or hanging around a forum for AV enthusiasts and telling everyone why he doesn't need an HDTV. Which it really sounds like you don't IMO.

Are you saying that you are being given an old LCD TV for free? if so, what question are you putting forward?
:confused:
:suicide:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom