HD-Ready Small screen LCD's

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by cerebros, Mar 26, 2006.

Tags:
  1. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hi all,

I'm looking into getting a small screen (19" - 23") for use in my study. As I plan to have the screen for a number of years and to ultimately distribute HD around the house, the set must be HD Ready. It also needs to be properly compatible with 16:9 input from a PC, preferably over DVI or HDMI (i.e. not need to fiddle around with resolutions on the PC end to get the set to display a picture))

I know that the 23" Samsung that's used with the Xbox 360 demo units is available in a HD Ready version, but I think I've read that there are some issues with outputting to it from a PC.

Are there any other sets I should be looking at in this size range?

thanks

2. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    So no-one got any suggestions then?

I see Philips do a few 23" models which they claim are HD Ready (see link below), although they're that hideous speakers at side of the screen design, rather than speakers underneath.

Doesn't seem like the other big name TV companies (Toshiba & Sony) do an small HD Ready sets (unless they're hiding it well in the specs on their sites). Guess this currently leaves me with the Samsung as the only option?

(btw, anyone know what's up with the URL insertion tool for the forums? It used to allow you to insert the link like a normal hyperlink, now it just seems to put the whole URL in as seen below)

http://www.consumer.philips.com/consumer/catalog/catalog.jsp?activeCategory=TV_GR_GB_CONSUMER&fhquery=fh_location%3D%2F%2Fconsumer%2Fen_GB%2Fcategories%3Ccatalog_gb_consumer%2Fcategories%3Ctv_gr_gb_consumer%2Fcategories%3Cflat_tv_ca_gb_consumer%2Fcategories%3C%7Blcd_medium_21_29_su_gb_consumer%7D&clickEventData=fh_location%3D%2F%2Fconsumer%2Fen_GB%2Fcategories%3Ccatalog_gb_consumer%2Fcategories%3Ctv_gr_gb_consumer%2Fcategories%3Cflat_tv_ca_gb_consumer%2Fcategories%3C%7Blcd_medium_21_29_su_gb_consumer%7D&fredhopperpage=index.jsp&language=en&country=GB&catalogType=CONSUMER&proxybuster=LNLR43AH30NAXJ0RMRESHQNHKFSEKI5P"

3. lance23

lance23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would recommend my TV, the Samsung LE23T15B. It's HD Ready and works well with PC.

4. RunDMC

RunDMC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    According to issue 306 of What video and widescreen TV, the 20" Toshiba WLT56 will accept 720p (but not 1080i) over the component input (also has two scarts).

Also, the 'HD ready' spec only applies to sets over 26" I believe, so you will never see a 'HD ready' set below that size (even if they can cope with some of the inputs).

5. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    As far as I'm aware, the HD ready spec makes no requirement on screen size, just the type of inputs that must be present, minimum number of lines displayed and the picture formats the display can accept.

As I mentioned earlier, the Philips site has several 23" sets they're saying are HD Ready so that would seem to confirm that there's no screen size minimum.

6. lance23

lance23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, and my 23" is HD Ready

7. Kokinho

Kokinho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was of the understanding (maybe wrong) anything less than 32" you will not see any difference in a HD input compared to a SD. So something like a 19" LCD with HD compared to SD will not be noticable as the picture quality is better on the smaller LCDs. So anything smaller than 32" LCD with HD, is more there for a gimmick than anything else. So from the graph on this website:

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article.asp?section_id=5&article_id=1137

You would need to sit less than 4ft away before you notice a difference between SD and HD.

8. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Depends on your viewing distance. For the screen I want for my study i'm going to be viewing from not much over a meter away, and I'm more interested in being able to send a reasonable PC resolution to the screen at present than a HDTV signal (although I future I hope to be able to distribute a HD signal around the house to which this TV would be conected)

9. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,107
    sony has 2 new budget sets due out in sept, KDL-20u2000u and KDL-262000u
    they will both be hidef ready with freeview tuners,1xhdmi 1xcomponent 2xscart 1xsvideo and a pc input:thumbsup:

10. madfish_den

madfish_den

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been very happy with the 19" samsung syncmaster SM940MW.

1440x900 resolution meant it handled the PC and HD inputs without issue.

http://www.samsung.com/uk/products/monitors/lcd/lcdtvmonitors/ls19dowssedc.asp

Bought as a widescreen (16:10) monitor for the PC, has a tv tuner built in and was excellent over composite playing the 360 until I got the living room Lcd sorted out. Has a DVI connection. PIP. no hassles. just very happy!

Denny

11. RunDMC

RunDMC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I stand corrected. Thanks for the info...

12. Rob1698

Rob1698

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you will have to decide between a good PC screen that can function as a TV, and a good TV that can perform somewhat as a PC monitor. Reading the above I think a good PC monitor is what you want, and I would be very careful when using a TV for that.

My PC monitor is a Dell 2405FPW and it can display HD content but has no HDMI. I think the successor (2406?) will have that. The 2405 version has VGA, DVI, S-Video, composite and component inputs.

TVs used as PC screen usually have pixel-mapping issues, overscan that cannot be turned off, and potential problems with the value range used for RGB.

13. NackNack

NackNack
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    The HD spec did require it to be 26" minimum, but they changed it fairly recently that I'm aware of.
    It really does depend on the viewing distance of course - my 26" is clear in its difference between SD and HD, simply because I sit between one and two metres from the screen most of the time.

14. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Thing is this isn't something that's replacing a monitor - it's something that will be used primarily for TV but that i will want on occasion to handle output from a PC (as secondary display). That's why I'm looking at LCD TV's rather than monitors