hd ready pj?

klacey

Ok its probably been asked tons of times, but im going to ask anyway. Im looking to get a hd ready projector and have seen that the res on them is 1280x720. But hd dvd and blu-ray go up to 1080. So which do i go for a pj that does 1280x720 or one that does 1920x1080 as the price difference is quite large. Is it worth paying the thousands more?
Thanks
Kevin

Sly

what i did is go 4 a 1280x720 pj now (cost about £1200) enjoy the films i have (dvd's) then in a year or so i will get a 1920x1080 pj as they will be about £1200 by then.

klacey

Sly thanks for the reply.
Was thinking of doing the same, any recommondations?

cyberbob69

Will they really be that cheap by then 1080p PJ???

If so I want..:D

I'm just about to spend that on one now....either the panny AE900 or the Hitachi 200, which are both LCD but now I've heard DLP will give you much more a cinamatic experiance.. and you can get them roughly the same price..

klacey

I already have an infocus 5700 with is dlp and its fantastic, but not hd ready.:(

klacey

Can you stretch to £1500 - the new HD72 may be worth a look !
Yeah i can stretch to that, who makes it?

klacey

Thanks sniffer66 very interesting read, may take a look.:smashin:

mallidiv

Novice Member
1080 I think does not worth it... unless you make looooooooooooooads of money... and can throw it...

wait first until dvd's start to get out massively...

720 is lovely already...
settle for nothing less :)

klacey

thanks millidiv was looking at the new infocus in76, what do you guys think?

mkjustuk

Novice Member
I think it will come down to how much of the HD material is 720 and how much is 1080. I think it may be a good while before a 1080p device is really needed so a good 720p device now still makes sound sense. After all a 720p native PJ will make a fine job of 1080i as and when 720 material starts to fade away.

klacey

Thanks mkjustuk, i think thats the path i will go down, get myself a 1.5k - 2k pj that does 720. Then when 1080 picks up get one, probably at the same price by then. I think the average price at the moment is about 6k for a good 1080 pj.
So in the long run would work out cheaper.

Sly

klacey said:
Sly thanks for the reply.
Was thinking of doing the same, any recommondations?
i went for a sanyo z4 hd ready projector mainly due to the following:
i had a z1 before that gave me excellent service,it had a 3 year g'tee (a lot dont),it had 2 component inputs and a spare bulb (these are expensive).

your looking to spend more than i did though and can afford to get a projector with better performace than mine!
as to what to go for i didnt look at anything other than what was in my budget so i cant name a particular model i would recommend,but what i would do is read as much as you can on these forums,other sites,magazines,etc.
it also maybe worth speaking to a few good retailers like ken at http://www.ivojo.co.uk/ or the guys at http://www.discounttv.co.uk/,the latter also have a shop in Colne,Lancashire if you wanted to have a demo of a few things.

good luck,and i am sure you will enjoy whatever you get!

klacey

Many thanks sly, i will let you know how i get on.

Sly

cyberbob69 said:
Sly.

Did you go anywhere local to demo any PJ?

Since we both live in the same are...:D
no,
i did pester my local av place (sound academy) for a possible demo but it seemed it would be a special request to get a machine in so i looked at online dealers instead.
i was gonna drive to discount tv's place but ivojo was cheaper and offered the same dead pixel check,free bulb,etc.
also the customer service i got off ken @ ivojo was spot on.
i think all the pj's around that price point are pretty similar performance wise from what i have read,and are a vast improvement on my z1.

A

andyturner28

klacey said:
I already have an infocus 5700 with is dlp and its fantastic, but not hd ready.:(
I have fed some 720p and 1080i clips from the Sky website to my 5700 and they look dramatically better than SD Sky, so much so that i will get Sky HD when it comes out.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom