HD ready panasonic

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by northern boy, Nov 6, 2005.

Tags:
  1. northern boy

northern boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there, :hiya: I'm looking for a HD ready TV and have narrowed my choices to the panasonic TH37pv500 or the TX32lxd500. I know there is great debate about the pros and cons of LCD and Plasma, but would like an opinion based on my veiwing requirements:

Sky TV Mainly football & motorsport, DVD's. :)

also if anyone has any other manufacturers they'd like to recommend it would be much appeciated.

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    plasma baby plasma best bet is get a footie DVD and an F1 DVD then go watch both at a locaql retailer and let your eyes decide

3. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    Plasma. Provided you buy a decent one. LCD's suffer more from motion smear but as Horny says take along a DVD of football and check it out for yourself.

Besides those extra 5 inches make all the difference :rotfl:

4. Deleted member 92943

Deleted member 92943

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think that if your watching alot of DVDs then a Plasma is great. As i will be connecting my PC to my screen i am getting the Panny d500 LCD because i am too woried about screen burn

5. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +921
    Plasmas

Pros :
    Good black level performance and colourimetry
    Good motion rendition

Cons :
    Screen burn with static image content
    Can be slightly noisy as they often contain cooling fans
    Can still suffer from some dithering/sub-field artefacts because of reduced greyscale performance

LCDs
    Pros :
    High resolution (LCD cells can be made smaller than plasma cells)
    Better greyscale performance - but poorer gamma
    Almost no screen burn issues (though I have seen LCD TVs and monitors with burned in images)

Cons :
    Poorer motion handling
    Poorer black levels, gamma and colourimetry

For viewing of TVs and Movies I'd probably still jump for the PV500 - they seem to be among the best non-CRT HD displays I've seen, and more watchable than an LCD with standard video material. Real pictures seem to look better on the PV series (and the high end Pioneers) than on any LCDs I've seen.

For PC / Games work, then an LCD may be a safer bet to avoid screen burn and benefit from the higher resolution they can offer, though look carefully at the motion rendition - as LCDs can still suffer from motion smearing. Their performance with real pictures doesn't ever seem as good to me.

6. northern boy

northern boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for the responses. Have watched football on an LCD at the pub and wasn't convinced, although it wasn't a panasonic. Never though of doing a screen test with a dvd, that's an excellent idea. Cheers all
    northern boy

7. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd go with the plasma :thumbsup: .

:smoke:

8. mcav

mcav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I have the Pioneer 435 XDE and it is silent, has excellent picture quality, and though you can get slight after image if there is a strong still on part of the screen, you would have to try VERY hard to burn the screen.

Plasma all the way for me.

Oh - it is true though - you should start your plasma at a fairly low brightness and contrast setting for the first 50 or so hours

But honestly - the pic on it is fantastic - thats from the pioneer dvd 585 on component (van damme) and sky+ on scart (techlink)

Buy one buy one buy one.

:clap: