1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD Ready or compatible?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by drb5, Aug 30, 2005.

1. drb5

drb5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    What would be better in your own opinion's please?

If i were to go Compatible, then what is then needed to broadcast HD on the TV?

2. Chavvychase

Chavvychase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I'm no expert but my understanding is that if a TV has the HD ready logo, it will be able to receive and play HD programmes in HD format. If its HD compatible, it will be able to receive HD and play programmes, but it will not be able to play these programmes at HD quality. At least this is my understanding, but no doubt more knowledgeable and technically minded people on the forum will be able to expain it a lot better than I.

3. scarty16

scarty16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    HD Ready = What you want
    HD Compatible = marketing speak for "bugger we have a TV that isn't HD ready and nobody will buy it, so we need a phrase to confuse the public, so they buy ours without realising we have sold them a pup"

4. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Most experts seem to agree that HD content on an SD (HD compatible) screen looks way better than DVD or SKY. Some even say that at a reasonable distance they are indistinguishable from an HD (HD-Ready) screen. I'm not convinced by that last one, but either way it will be quite a while before there's much content to watch it on.

Perversely, it may be gamers who notice the most benefit, since they will tend to be a lot closer to the screen when playing. So XBox 360 users should probably plump for the HD screens.

5. tscotsman

tscotsman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Which is exactly the reason why Im waiting to get my PV500, cant wait to try my Xbox 360 with my new Plasma, next couple of months is going to be exciting in my house.

Now if only the PV500 would come down by £2-300 pounds cause of the new Pioneer at £2500 I would be well chuffed. That would mean I could get it for about £1900-2000 from JL.

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Sulis is quite right, HD material always loks better whatever screen you have, but it looks better on a HD screen. The point about gamers is well made, the further away you are the less difference it makes. If you stand 20ft away from your plasma complete rubbish would do the job, you could save some money and buy a Daewoo! On the other hand, moving to a bigger house so you can have a cheap plasma... maybe not so smart!

7. drb5

drb5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Thanks guy's.

Much appreciated.:cool: