HD-Ready LCD: worthwhile just for TV?

H

House Song

Just read that an HD-ready LCD (like the Samsung LE26R41 I'm about to get) might not give the best picture with a standard definition (SD?) signal.

I don't have Sky (am not likely to) and don't watch many DVDs so, just for TV (through my freeview box), am I about to waste my money?

More to the point, if an HD LCD is going to be distorting an SD signal, will my picture suffer against the standard CRT I'm used to?

Help! About to purchase, now crisis of faith!

Do people actually regret buying their screens for this reason?

cheers

House Song said:
Just read that an HD-ready LCD (like the Samsung LE26R41 I'm about to get) might not give the best picture with a standard definition (SD?) signal.

I don't have Sky (am not likely to) and don't watch many DVDs so, just for TV (through my freeview box), am I about to waste my money?

More to the point, if an HD LCD is going to be distorting an SD signal, will my picture suffer against the standard CRT I'm used to?

Help! About to purchase, now crisis of faith!

Do people actually regret buying their screens for this reason?

cheers

Hi House Song

If your after the best SD LCD then you're better off with the Sharp P50 Series. The following is quoted off the Sharp website -

"The new P50 Series Panel has been specifically designed by Sharp to ideally match the dot configuration of PAL standard broadcasts systems as well as DVD picture signals. The benefit of the NEW 960 x 540 x 3 resolution reproduces a picture without signal compensation or reduction. Resulting in crystal-clear pictures comparable to cathode ray tube televisions (CRT)."

There are a few decent threads in this forum that'll give you more info on the subject

I'm reading that your concerned that LCD in general woun't be good as CRT for standard signals?

If that's the case your absolutely right. For a standard def signal I reckon a CRT is far more forgiving of these sources than any LCD will be, and I also think thats down to the tech. CRT and phosphor produces a soft image that works well with interlacing and has very high contrast and brightness ratios, far higher than LCD.

Your right to be worried, especially if HD is not really on your agenda. However, for most people LCD is partly down to a 'lifestyle' choice - modern, slim, elegant, chassis that can do a reasonable picture that scales well without needing a box the size of a 400 pound gorilla in the front room.

None are perfect, you just choose what suits your needs best.

I have been condidering the Sharp P50 series for the reasons outlined above , watching dvd and freeview.
But will the Sharp be unsuitable to display HD material when available ?

lurcher said:
I have been condidering the Sharp P50 series for the reasons outlined above , watching dvd and freeview.
But will the Sharp be unsuitable to display HD material when available ?
Not unsuitable no, it will display HD at the Sharps lower native resolution which has been deliberately chosen as being exactly 1/2 of 720 and 1/3 of 1080 so in fact there won't be any complicated scaling issues which should produce quite a good image albeit not strictly HD but probably better than SD.

you're right there's the lifestyle angle.

Very keen on an LCD, just confused whether I should go for a Samsung LE26R41 as I intended, or the Sharp P50 as it's supposedly better for normal TV/Freeview (rather than Sky, DVDs, gaming etc).

I don't want to buy the Sharp for SD and then have to buy a new HD LCD in 2 yrs or so if the signal of the day is higher standard.

Likewise, I don't want to go for the HD Samsung now and then have to wait 2 yrs until I get the best out of it!

I don't even know whether HD will be the standard (and certainly 2 yrs is an uninformed guess)!

btw why does Sharp always appear in red in everyone's posts? Looks suspicious to me!

Would the other Sharp range be a more sensible purchase over the P50 ? I"m thinking of the HD ready GA6 series. Looking at HD for the future .

House Song said:
btw why does Sharp always appear in red in everyone's posts? Looks suspicious to me!

It's the search function. :D If you do a search for Panasonic all the posts with the word Panasonic will be in red too. :)

Btw I can recommend the Sharp for normal SD TV it's excellent! :thumbsup:

Most people keep their set for 8 years or so. I'd buy HD ready just in case. The BBC is likely to Broadcast HD freesat in 2006...certainly in the next 8 years!

The BBC won't be broadcasting HD over Freesat next year or anytime soon. Mainstream HD TV although beginning next year with the arrival of SKY HD wont be a mainstream free to air service until at least after digital switchover and thats 2010 at the earliest.

Thanks Hamster, that makes sense. Tending back towards the Samsung LE26R41. I can't imagine the SD picture is that bad, as the general concensus on the forum is that it's a top TV.

Thanks Gordon - in retrospect, that was quite a stupid question on my part!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom