Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

hd ready / hd compatible

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by vx220, Oct 3, 2005.

Tags:
  1. vx220

vx220

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    whats the difference between the 2 if the both have the same resolution?? i have a hd compatible set with a hdmi input so what does this mean?

2. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    If you have a screen with a resolution of 1280x720, actually it's a minimum vertical line resolution of 720 thats officially required, or higher and with both HDMI/DVI and Component inputs and it can display either 720p or 1080i then it's classed as "HD Ready". HD compatible screens tend to be those with lower resolutions that can still "accept" a HD signal via HDMI/DVI or component.

3. mr-monday

mr-monday

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Is it the Sharp P50 by any chance? This is the only set I've seen advertised as HD compatible. It can handle HD sources up to 1080i, but downscales them to 540i/540p. The P50 series hasn't been given much time on the forum because most of the members are what I'd call 'hardcore' home cinema enthusiasts who see it as a backwards step as it isn't true HD.

I've seen it running and think it looks excellent. As I have no intention of getting Sky HD, I'm just waiting to see how the Xbox 360 looks in it. One chap on here watched a film via an upscaling DVD player at 720p and said it looked better than many of the true HD panels. Do a search for P50 and you'll probably find it.

4. daxie

daxie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What's the use of upscaling to 720p if your display only displays 576p??
    Regular dvd player with progressive outputs will do fine for this screen.

5. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    There isn't but they probably just tried it to see how it looks like at 720p.

6. vx220

vx220

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    no its the philips 32pf9956 i got it from richer sounds and been looking at the catalogue and it says h/d compatible but on this website i found one for sale for 1500.00 and it says hd ready??? so i dont know what i have really??? mind u i got it cost price... 900.00 so im not gonna moan, just wanna know if its worth buying a hd dvd player and xbox 360????? cheers

7. vx220

vx220

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    so anyone here know the specs of my lcd? i wanna know how many lines etc it supports and whats its insputs and outputs r like!

8. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    You might want ot contact Philips themselves about this one. Although the screen resolution is 1366x768 and it's got an HDMI input I can't see any mention of displaying 720p or 1080i in either the manual or spec sheet. Try their website.

9. echelon

echelon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    actually the Sharp P50 series displays 540p. It can then scale HD 1080i by exactly 50%, or 720p input by exactly 75%. Apparently these scaling factors are pretty simple and dont require the TV to "make up" information for extra pixels, and so result in an excellent picture.

all explained at http://www.sharp.co.uk/pal.html, and this method of downscaling really works according to testomonies on this forum.

10. RockySpieler

RockySpieler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    HD compatiable Digital example:-
    Some 720/768 lined screens can have HDCP enabled DVI (or HDMI) which happily accept 720p/1080i 50/60Hz, but will not accept analogue HD material. Such as my Tevion.

HD Compatiable Analogue example:-
    Other 720/768 lined screens, do not have a digtial input, but happily display HD via component or VGA. It is rumoured that the first generation Sky HD box will have HD component out, newer versions will only have the HDMI (to keep Hollywood happy). So you could have XBox360 via VGA and Sky HD via component, and have a cheap HD panel that most people wouldn't touch as it did not have Digital inputs. Such as Sharp Aquos GA5E.

11. vx220

vx220

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    i tried the website but cant find anything regarding if it displays 720p or 1080i so does anyone here know or have the same set with hdmi dvd player?? also what is the difference between 720 and 1080???? thanks...

12. Jaffatubes

Jaffatubes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Vx220 - it looks like you are in the same boat as myself.

I've been looking for a flat panel tv for a few months now - (wife was complaining about space taken up by CRT), and had begun to research HD tv's with the announcement of HD Sky.

I was in my local branch of Richer Sounds for a looksee at what they had on offer at the end of August, and they were just in the process of setting up a 32pf9956 LCD. Myself and the Asst Mgr started talking and we spent about 30 mins playing with various settings and comparing the TV to others in the shop. I explained I was looking for a HD LCD and this looked like the Bees Knees. Plus the wife liked the style of it, compared to the Tosh 32wl56 that I had been previously looking at. Added WAF is always a bonus. :smashin:

I bought the unit there and then for £1200 and have been learning about it since...........

I believe the picture quality is pretty good, but then again it is my first LCD, and compared to my old curved screen 28" CRT Philips, it is bloody fantastic. PQ over RGB scart from the Toshiba DVD player is excellent. I have found though that it is best to turn off all the electronic trickery except PP1 to get the best picture. So no digital noise control, active light control, or digital motion control on my screen - all switched off!

Also, I did have a problem in the first few days where the tv would not retain the personal picture settings when it was switched off. After calls to Philips, RS shop and much internet trawling, I found that you have to set the input menu to Other on each input, otherwise the TV defaults to what it believes is the best picture setup every time you switch it off. This is not explained in the manual nor was it explained to me in my 1 hour long call to Philips customer service!! :mad:

However........

It is not HD Ready as I was led to believe in store, based on the screen res of 1366x768 and a HDMI input. (I've since found out about the EICTA std for HD Ready!). The TV is incapable of displaying anything other than a std PAL or NTSC interlaced or progressive picture.

I have been experimenting tonight with my PC connected to the panel via a dvi-hdmi cable, and I have confirmed what it states in the manual, that it is incapable of displaying anything other the a Std def picture. The only res where I could get a stable picture is 720x576 pixels at 50Hz - std def PAL size. I could not even get it to display in native 1366x768.

So I'm left with an admittedly pretty attractive LCD tv which my wife likes and I like the style of, but it is not what I wanted nor believed I was buying.

It is now 6 weeks since I purchased it from Richer Sounds and I am considering going back to them, to see if they will take it back. I now see it is advertised in the Richer Sounds flyer as HD Compatible - but just how that is, is beyond me, yes it will connect to the HD sky box or DVD player via HDMI, but will only show pictures in SD format - whats the point?????? :(

Can anyone suggest any other alternatives in my situation, or had experience with returning items similar to what I have described?

BTW, this is a great forum/site and I felt I had to join and give my tuppenth worth - hello everyone. :hiya:

13. RockySpieler

RockySpieler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    Talk to Richer Sounds, make sure you pick outthe same assistant that sold you it. You should be entitled to a full refund as you were miss sold.

Remind him that he told you it was HD ready, and that you want to take it back. If he refuses you could threaten action from trading standards.

Did any Richers Sounds Adverts or leaflets have HD Ready on for your Philips? this would help in any negoiations.

As a LAST resort offer to accept a credit note instead of a refund.

If all fails a letter to Juiian Richer may work.

14. vx220

vx220

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    thats odd... i to got my screen from a r/s store as my friend is the manager there and i got it for just over 900.00 so cost price! even he has told me its hdmi compatible and i dont think he genuinley knows the detail of every screen they sell but he has rigged up 2 of the samsung hdmi players to the philips and he and the other staff advised me that the picture quality is second to none... im not hugely into all the lcd jargon but what i do know is that i got looked after.. why would it say high def compatible if it wasnt??? they would surely get done for trade description by selling something its not? u have left me very confused though lol.... let me know what occurs with ur efforts and whatever u decide to do... i have only had mine a week so got another 4 weeks to decide if i wanna keep it!

15. Jaffatubes

Jaffatubes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Rockyspieler - RS promo material that I have now states HD Compatible, but their website only shows it as a High Resolution screen.

TV and Video Direct.com show this model as HD Ready - http://www.tvandvideodirect.com/product.php?xProd=1145&xSec=30.

Philips website doesn't mention HD compatible or Ready - only High Resolution.

Very confusing, but it doesn't matter as it doens't meet industry guidelines for HD Ready regardless. I should have done my homework before hand, but I have had very good experiences with RS staff before especially at my local branch, and you trust that they know what they are talking about.

I'm going back to the shop on Saturday to ask for a full refund, on the basis of miss-selling. I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers

16. vx220

vx220

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    r/s catalogue always has stated it as high def compatible for the reason when it comes to pc connectivity it only lets u achieve 640+480 and that same display mode on all dvi-equipted devices as stated in the instructions... it quotes

HDMI is the leading new standard for digital video and audio interconnection, eg with a set top box or compatible dvd-r av reciever, with dvi-equipped devices like a pc (only640by480 display mode), ...

so in other words depending on what device u connect different quality is achieved?? my r/s mate told me he hooked up a samsung dvd recorder and chose the option of 1080 whatever that means and its a stunning picture! im picking one up with a good hdmi lead on the weekend to see what the fuss is all about....

17. bbdivo

bbdivo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I think the key difference between being HD compatible and HD ready is that HD ready requires that the DVI/HDMI connectors must have HDCP on them.

HD compatible probably means that it will display a progressive picture through component, DVI or HDMI.

Dont forget the HD Ready logo can only be put on sets that comply with the standards laid down by EICTS or whatever they call themelves.

It is possible for a TV to be able to display Hi-def pictures without actually having the HD ready logo, it just means when that when we eventually get sky-HD and they say that you can only connect to an HD ready display then the 'HD compatible' sets will not work (because of the encryption)!

18. Jaffatubes

Jaffatubes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Went to RS - Leicester this morning with the TV all boxed back up in the car to get a refund.

Found the staff member who served me - who remembered me from 6 wks previous - and I explained the problem.

He was very understanding and admitted that the 32pf9956 model has been causing a lot of confusion in the store with debate raging about whether it would or would not display a HD picture - they had even tried to obtain info from Philips about it to no avail. Apparent conclusion is that it is now a very expensive SD LCD screen which happens to have a HDMI port, but no word on HDCP?!?

He offered a full refund or credit against another item in store, and explained they had just taken delivery of 5 Hitachi 32LD7200's and still had three in stock. I accepted his offer of a 32LD7200 in replacement, with a small cash adjustment from me to him as the 32ld was a bit more expensive.

I'm happy and he is just as happy as they still retain my custom - customer service like that makes me want to use them, even if they are a bit more expensive than a dedicated internet site. And definetly a better experience I imagine than that I would have got from a Dix-o-Com-o-Curry's clone.

:smashin: I can now heartily recommend the services of Richer Sounds - Leicester and their Deputy Manager, Tim. :thumbsup:

By the way - as at 1200 today they still had 2 32LD7200 LCDs in stock and waiting to go!!

19. vx220

vx220

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    what is an sd lcd?

20. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    SD = Standard Definition as opposed to HD (High Def). The Sharp P series LCDs are optimised for standard def PAL broadcasts and as such have a lower resolution of 960x540 but are classed as HD compatible as they have all the inputs to receive and display HD content albeit at the lower resolution.

21. vx220

vx220

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    so (jaffatubes) says its sd but in the manual and on the box it reads

pixel plus for more and better detailed pictures
    lcd HIGH DEFINITION wxga display, 1366 x 768p
    full active control with light sensor
    digital media reader and usb reader
    highest quality HDMI connectivity

SO WHAT IS HE TALKING ABOUT? confused the hell out of me... plug a samsung dvdhd950 player in which incidently costs a little over 100.00! and u have stunning visuals!... anyone else know any different or have the same set?

22. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    Although this model does have a HDMI input, which is HDCP by default, unusually the TV can only accept 480p and 576p (480i, 576i) signals via this. So even though the screen has a High Resolution screen it can't accept a HD signal and therefore it's classed as HD compatible. This is all according to the manual anyway, how it works in practise is another matter.

23. RockySpieler

RockySpieler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    Result, Glad it worked out for you. I have always found Richer Sounds Staff to be very accomodating particularly if "you clearly know your stuff Sir", they love taking about the latest kit, as opposed to answering questions like "does it come in Silver" or "where are the free lollipops!".

Were you tempted by the Panel Protection scheme, I do not think LCD's are covered by Richer Sounds 50% Buyback warrentry?

Regarding the HD ready / HD Compatibility mess just check out ebay for 32" LCD's, if they are being dumped on ebay, then they are most likely Hd Compatiable. True Hd ready sets willl sell easily through retail channels.

Once XBox360 is released, and SkyHD broadcasts, there will be consumer uproar over HD Compatiable screens, imagine paying for Sky HD box, and new contract and then finding out the screen does not display HD properly. It will be all over Watchdog type programmes and HD Compatiable LCD's will be impossible to sell.

24. THOMAST

THOMAST

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I been reading your messages on the 32pf9956 as I have this particular model and have been very intresed in all your comments and also shocked. I purchase my tv back in september 2004, after first contacting Philips and asking if this tv was HD ready. They told me that it was and that I would have no problem watching HD pictures. On that info I bought this set thinking that it would be future proof. It was only the other day when I tried to play my xbox 360 via HD that I discovered that It wouuldn't accept HD. So I loged on the web to see if any other people had the same problem that I discover that I am not alone. I have since contacted Philips who have now advise me thta the tv will not accept HD. Yet I still see some shops advertising this model as HD. As the set is now 18mths old I stuck with this set unable to watch HD which I almost registered for. I'm not a happy chappy at all.

25. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,312
    Welcome to the club. Bought a Sony KLV-26HG2 in September 2004 (sounds familiar hmm?). Sony sold me it as "HD Ready". I knew the TV did not have a digital video input (replaced with a frickin' SCART input on the European model - good deal or what :mad: ) but at the time I assumed that Component would be good enough for most HDTV.

A few months later the whole DRM issue reared its ugly head and Sony promptly edited their web site to read "HD Resolution" :suicide:

Still a fantastic TV, just don't understand why they had to cripple it for Europe.

26. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    The 'HD Ready' designation was not announced until January 2005.