1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD ready Easter at Comet...?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Faust, Mar 26, 2005.

1. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I was passing my local Comet today and picked up their Easter flyer focusing on Slim Vision. On page one they go into some detail about High Definition extolling its virtues etc. They then say that before you part with your hard earned cash you should look for the European directive HD Ready logo. I excitedly turned over the next page expecting to see lots of gleaming LCD and Plasma HD Ready panels. Did I? no - apart from the Pioneer all the other pages displayed not one HD Ready t.v. What on earth are Comet playing at, I thought the Philips 9986 was HD ready but not according to the flyer -see enclosed page.

2. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Faust,

The new HD Ready logo has just recently been introduced and many older sets were released on the market without the sticker.

Perhaps some of the other pages in the leaflet had HD Ready logos on them and this one didn't? Just ignorance on Comets part in that case...

Jimmy

3. crazyswede

crazyswede
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

<-------- I got my sticker :D

4. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    One could say that the Phillips is not HD ready by the spec as it does not have component AND DVI/DVI-HDCP, but we also know that it will work with SKY HD when it arrives!

5. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    No Jimmy, that is just the point I was making, Comet are saying don't part with your hard earned cash unless you see the logo, they then produce a nineteen page glossy flyer listing nothing but t.v.'s and the only HD Ready logos they could point to are a 43" Pioneer Plasma and two DLP's. If you were looking to buy from Comet, then I would view this flyer as something of an own goal don't you think?

6. Taz69

Taz69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    l would view this as Comet are at last participating in Customer Service, lol, the new HD ready Logo is now meant to be store wide and its not Comet's fault that the only HD ready sets conforming to the 720p@50Hz HD Ready for SKy is the pioneers etc, many of the sets out there are HD Ready but not at 50Hz for Sky, then again Sky havent really made their minds up yet, lol

RS have stickers on their panels stating NOT HD Ready.

People should be aware if parting with their cash for a 2K plasma etc that its not going to be out of date if they wish to join SKy's HD service next year, if they are not then they can at least make an informed decision.

Taz

7. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Are you saying that their panels are or are not going to be out of date as the quote as me somewhat confused?

8. Taz69

Taz69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Most of the panels that are being sold will not display TRUE Hi-Def display as they will need to downscale the picture to the Plasma's native Res ie 840x480 not 1280x720 which is hi-def, even then some plasma's will need a scaler to display it at 50Hz as most of them seem to be 60Hz, they also need a DVI or HDMI connection that supports HDCP,

(added a couple of words to make it clearer) People should be aware if parting with their cash for a 2K plasma etc that its not going to be out of date if they wish to join SKy's HD service next year, if they are not going to join hi-def then they can at least make an informed decision as all panels will be ok for standard TV. Its then down to a matter of Quality, whether you want LG or Panasonic on the front panel, same as it is now for CRT Tv's

Taz

9. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    True, but this a LCD forum! ;)

10. Taz69

Taz69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    The same principle applies to either Plasma's or LCDs and I was just replying to the question asked.

:hiya:

Taz