1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hd Ready And Hdmi...whats The Difference?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Darrenwooly, Oct 18, 2005.

1. Darrenwooly

Darrenwooly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi guys

Just want to say what a great website this is for info but i need help. I recently purchased a samsung PS42S5SDX from martin dawes. (being delivered on Monday)

Now im just the average joe who likes to have a nice looking telly and i have always used samsung products and loved them.

I was told that it was a HD TV. now after looking into it i have now been told that it is a HD TV but not HD Ready?? surely if it has a HDMI connection (which it does) means it is HD ready or am i just missing something here.

So my question to you all is what is the difference between hd ready and HDMI?

and will it work with a Samsung HD 850/950 dvd player?

2. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +837
    Have a good read of this thread - it should be compulsory reading for all newcomers!

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2045388#post2045388

HDMI is just the interface; HD ready is lots of other things, too. It requires a display to accept 720p and 1080i video over DVI/HDMI and component inputs at 50 and 60 Hz and display on a wide screen with at least 720 horizontal lines of physical resolution.

I checked with some specs, and they all said it was 852 x 480 resolution, which is standard definition. It may be able to accept an HD input, but it will not be able to display it.

It most definitely is NOT HD ready, so you can not get a high definition picture when Sky HD and BluRay arrive. Sorry, HD ready seat invariably cost rather more.

Nick

3. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    HDMI is a digital connection that carries video signal & audio signal (bit like a digital scart). There are different specs though 1.0 will only carry stereo audio & 1.1 will carry 5.1 audio.

As for HDTV & HD-Ready
    http://www.digitalconnection.com/FAQ/HDTV_6.asp

4. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +763
    Yes - some AV merchants are sneakily describing displays as "HDTVs" or "HDTV Ready" when they aren't able to claim they are formally "HD Ready" as it refers to the European HD Ready standards.

This is usually because they don't accept both 1080i and 720p at 50Hz as well as 60Hz, via either their component or HDMI inputs.

5. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,292
    The EICTA HD Ready Logo was designed to avoid this sort of confusion. Any set displaying the logo will meet the requirements outlined by welwynnick above and will work with all currently planned HD broadcasts.

6. wyrdness

wyrdness

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    If it was mis-sold as HD-ready, then demand your money back. I can't see this model on Martin Dawes web site, but I did notice that several companies are advertising it as HD-ready:
    http://www.bennettsonline.co.uk/entertainment/televisions/plasma-tv/samsung-ps42s5sdx-01785064
    http://www.rgbdirect.co.uk/referrer.asp?SKUNumber=103545&ReferrerCode=4
    http://www.tribaluk.com/samsung-ps42s5sdx-plasma-tv-01785064.htm

These companies are deliberately misleading consumers. Don't buy from them.

The HD-Ready FAQ says:
    With reference to resolution, the core of the "HD ready" minimum requirements is: minimum 720 physical lines in wide aspect ratio (i.e. lines used to display a wide aspect ratio image).

7. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +790
    And not only that the picture is awful on the Samsung plasmas, worts I have ever seen on a plasma screen. Cancel the order now!

8. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +790
  9. Darrenwooly

Darrenwooly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi guys thanks for all this I was furios with martin dawes, the story is that i have three plasmas with them and i dont really buy Plasmas i always rent.

After everyones help and advice i decided to go back and fight my case. They assured me the screen was HD ready and that IT WAS carrying the HD ready Logo?!?!? on the base of the stand and on the back of the screen

Also i was told that samsung have released three models with the exact same numbers the difference is :

1 has freeview built in but no HDMI
    2 has no freeview but HDMI only
    3 has HDMI and is HD ready

I personally think its cr*p but i phoned warrington, stockport and Altrincham branch and they all assured me it was HD ready??

To be honest i would rather believe you guys, however they have told me that if i am unhappy with the new rental i can take it back and exchange it for another model?

as for gizlaroc comments and on other threads im not really worried if i can see colour banding (whatever that is) as im not really that sad to be studying a picture, personally when i watch the 5th element i would rather watch the film than see colours change as she nose dives of a building (the film i thought was Cr*P anyway)

wyrdness the website is very poor, however there products are always up to date and they are really good at sorting out deals for customers.

I shall see what happens and take it from there. at least i know that because i rent i can just swap it or upgrade it whenever i want.

Anyone else got an opinion on the Samsung HD950 dvd Player? is it all its cracked up to be?

10. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +790
    The point of the 5th Element reference was it is one of the best dvd transfers and even with that the screen looks like you are viewing in 256 colour mode, with poorer transfers and TV it gets even worse.
    I was only trying to help and point out that there are a lot of unhappy owners out there, but if you are not bothered about getting a quality product or not I'm sorry I wasted your time.

11. Darrenwooly

Darrenwooly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    :smashin: sorry gizlaroc, im just so annoyed with Martin Dawes after being a loyal customer of 3 years!!!!

i will see what happens and keep ya posted

12. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +790
    good man! :)