1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD Questions

Discussion in 'TVs' started by HeweyBoy101, Oct 10, 2005.

1. HeweyBoy101

HeweyBoy101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    A couple of issues I have been mulling over. Probably no definitive answers as yet but woirth pondering anyway:

1) My (non-HD ready) Philips Plasma will not accept any progressive signal via component (only interlaced). So, I am assuming (but not sure) that it would accept a 1080i signal, by virtue of the fact that this is interlaced! Philips customer help line are next to useless on this. Anyway, my question would be - do we think the new Sky HD box could be set to permanently output a 1080i signal (i.e to upscale 720p if necessary). Don't know if this would be an option or not.

2) Assuming NO to the question above, then I will have to ditch the Philips and buy a new HD ready model. This brings me to my second point. As I understand it, the Sky HD box will output either 720p or 1080i via HDMI. But what about the standard resolution channels? Will SD content also be squirted down the HDMI cable (as 576p), or will we all have to retain scart connections for analogue RGB? Would seem sensible if HDMI is used for everything. Firstly this could be a welcome quality upgrade for SD material, and secondly, wouldn't it be good to be able to ditch all those wretched scart cables!

2. Quickbeam

Quickbeam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ATSC receivers are switchable between 720p and 1080i. This is in part due to the fact that a lot of US HD CRTs won't take a 720p signal. It's quite possible that Sky's receiver will have a similar option.

The HDMI cable will carry SD signals, possibly as 576p, maybe as 720p or 1080i, or maybe not upconverted at all. Who knows?