1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD Question.

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by evolution400, Sep 30, 2005.

1. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I am sure you all have heard that they are planning 24mb ADSL lines for the UK is this enough to stream HDTV ?
    Reason I ask is I use windows media center there is a piece of software called webguide which allows you to access your MCE pc via the web record tv programs and if you have fast enough connection you can view the recorded tv, my videos etc.
    My parents live in the USA I was thinking if 24mb ADSL is fast enough to setup a MCE server with HD card in there record all my favourite USA TV eps and Movies in HD then use this webguide software and view it all in the UK on my PC.
    As you know you can get cheap lines in the USA so I could probably get a 24mb up and down line for cheap enough.
    Thanks in advance for your input.

2. sprattgraham

sprattgraham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    NTL said they might be using ADSL +2 to stream HD. But it's not been confirmed.

They are in the process of upgrading 3MB customers to 10MB I think Telewest have upgraded 40,000 customers in Glasgow

3. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    so 10mb is mimimum for HD streaming ?

4. sprattgraham

sprattgraham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Think NTL tested 18MB

Channel’s like Eur1080 are using MPEG2 at 17MBPS

5. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    I would have thought closer to 20MB.

6. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Yes I thought that which is why I thought 24mb will be more than adequate for streaming HD.

7. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    24Mb upload will cost a fortune, ADSL / cable is cheap because it is Asymmetric (faster download than upload). I have a 4Mb symmetric link (i.e. 4Mb up and down) and it costs many times more than broadband.

Besides, recent studies have shown that broadband in USA is relatively expensive compared to most other OECD countries so I think "cheap lines in the USA" is an incorrect assumption.

Some of my friends in London have already signed up for 24Mb broadband, and it's quick, but they've had telephony issues and cancelled even though it only costs £24 per month (or £30 with UK Online). Sure they'll sort the problems out eventually.

For MPEG2 perhaps 20Mb, but MPEG4 should be half that and about 10Mb. However, processing power required to transcode MPEG2 stream into MPEG4 is significant, most PCs can't even decode MPEG4 in realtime. On the plus side, the next generation of ATi graphics cards have AVIVO function which will handle MPEG4 transcoding and decoding.

But even a 10Mb upstream from USA will cost you a fortune.

What you could do would be to setup server in the USA to record, and sync it to a server in UK overnight or suchtime rather than in realtime. However, broadband caps and connections dropouts will be hard to avoid.

Either way, this could be considered dropping into the realms of video piracy.

StooMonster

8. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    why do you need upload to watch HD? surely 24mbps download and about a meg upload would be fine?

EDIT: just reread first post :rolleyes:

the real problem is 24mbps is only realistic about 1km from the exchange, further than that it decreases at alarming rates.

9. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    The problem is how to give the server that you are downloading from a 24Mb/s upstream speed.

10. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks for the info re the 24mb line.
    I am looking into the prices in the USA as we speak I will post results.
    Yes I am aware of the cost of a lease line in the UK £1300 a month fora 2mb is not cheap at al so if you have a 4mb then I bet it is double the cost :)
    As I stated I will be watching the files only.
    How can this be considered as piracy if the server is located in the USA and I am just viewing them from there no data will be downloaded/kept on my HD in the UK at all.
    I like many others just want the best HDTV available which is the USA for content.
    Thats why I started this thread to see if this was possible.

11. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    I have a 4Mb/s wireless leased-line (i.e. a microwave link) which is a much cheaper solution than regular leased-line, but just as fast and robust; also have NTL 3Mb line for backup and low pings on game servers, but don't upload with it's puny 256Kb.

StooMonster

12. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Yep the cost of uploading is maddness we have had to use a 2mb lease line because we run a VPN and large dtabase server etc now we have just got rid of the 2mb lease line for SHDSL at 300 per month good cost saving but still a few hundred punds just to upload.
    These students have it good staying in halls of residence and having 100mb pipes to play with :)

13. sprattgraham

sprattgraham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    BT Tested ADSL 2+ 8MB was tested by a ISP that I will not name. They didn’t say how many people they had on the test but did say only one of them was able to get 8MB and the rest could only managed 4mb at most.

He said if you can only get a 1MB line on ADSL the chance of you getting ADSL 2+ is very unlikely.

That where NTL have the advantage because 95% of there customers are within 1KM of there High Speed Network Hubs where BT is something like 10%.

As far as I know NTL HD test on ADSL2+ 18MB lines where successful

14. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    This is an interesting question - as in effect you are doing the same thing as an Orb TV user or a Slingbox user, and are place-shifting, not copying.

However as it is unlikely your US location will be able to deliver 24Mbs upload speeds (most high speed ADSL will be massively Asymmetric, and whilst you may get 24Mbs download speeds at either end, you may be limited to less than 4Mbs upload speeds) so you will need to compress, or download slower than real-time. Once you are downloading the situation is different I guess...