HD PVR Hauppauge - need help please :(

im_loving_it

Standard Member
Hi,
Im never on this site so I dunno if this is the right place to ask this but im buying a hd pvr for my ps3 i just wanna know if my laptop will work with it please, this is what my laptop is,

HP laptop (HP g7000 notebook pc)
Windows Vista Service pack 2
Intel Celeron CPU 560 @ 2.13ghz 2.13.GHZ
RAM 1gb
system type 32-bit

thats all it says when i right click on my computer and press properties, i dunno how to check the graphics, im not good with computers and stuff, can someone help me please and thanks..

here is what is says on the hauppauge website

• Processor Requirements (minimum):
    • Dual core CPU.
  • Microsoft® Windows® 7 (32/64bit), Vista (32/64bit) or Windows XP Service Pack 3.
  • Graphics with 256MB memory (or greater)
    Note: the playback of high definition H.264 requires a fast CPU and at least 256MB of graphics memory.
  • Sound card.

will my laptop work? :( pleaseeee someone must know :(

Gavtech

Administrator
Hi,
Im never on this site so I dunno if this is the right place to ask this but im buying a hd pvr for my ps3 i just wanna know if my laptop will work with it please, this is what my laptop is,

HP laptop (HP g7000 notebook pc)
Windows Vista Service pack 2
Intel Celeron CPU 560 @ 2.13ghz 2.13.GHZ
RAM 1gb
system type 32-bit

thats all it says when i right click on my computer and press properties, i dunno how to check the graphics, im not good with computers and stuff, can someone help me please and thanks..

here is what is says on the hauppauge website

• Processor Requirements (minimum):
    • Dual core CPU.
  • Microsoft® Windows® 7 (32/64bit), Vista (32/64bit) or Windows XP Service Pack 3.
  • Graphics with 256MB memory (or greater)
    Note: the playback of high definition H.264 requires a fast CPU and at least 256MB of graphics memory.
  • Sound card.

will my laptop work? :( pleaseeee someone must know :(
I'm afraid it falls at the first requirement.

The CPU560 only has a single core. See here.

avhpmassive

Novice Member
****, i was hoping it was ok, do you think it will work on it tho?
It might work, but the dual-CPU requirement is there for a reason.

You'd most likely get choppy performance at best.

Then again, the software probably wouldn't install when it checks your hardware and sees that it doesn't meet the minimum spec.

Sorry bud, looks like you're outta luck.

Last edited:

im_loving_it

Standard Member
i was hoping it would work :(, but nevermind i guess i need to buy a new pc, do i just look for one that has fast speed and a graphics card?

i might look on ebay for one, i saw one for £200....

Gavtech

Administrator
...do i just look for one that has fast speed and a graphics card?
Look for one that can at least match the required specification you laid out in your first post.

im_loving_it

Standard Member
thanks for helping me - this means alot, nobody else is helping me, and your right im looking on ebay now for one that meets the requirments for it.

There is a guy on YouTube who has his hauppauge hd pvr connected to his tv and pc and the pc is connected to the tv - he uses his hd tv as the monitor , lol i think i want to do the same cuz it will be cheaper for me to buy just the tower. i got a 1080p 32" toshiba tv already :)

before i buy on eBay can i show you the link so you can tell me what you think please?

and thanks for helping....thumbs up :smashin:

Gavtech

Administrator

im_loving_it

Standard Member
i just got back from football and saw your comments, thanks for replying it really means alot to me.

avhpmassive - i think the 1st link you sent me looks good, and its not too expensive either, will i be able to use my hd tv with it or do i have to buy a monitor for it?

and can i go on the internet with this wireless, the router is in my mums room and i use wifi to conenct to the wireless network fot the internet with my laptop, is the same for this pc or do i have to put that in myself?

Last edited:

avhpmassive

Novice Member
avhpmassive - i think the 1st link you sent me looks good, and its not too expensive either, will i be able to use my hd tv with it or do i have to buy a monitor for it? or do i just buy this tower and im all good to go?
The Graphics card in that PC has HDMI, DVI and VGA outputs. So you could hook it up to an HDTV using HDMI.

Bear in mind, the first one I linked to is old tech, hence the price it is. It will still do what you are wanting, the Core 2 Duo chips were pretty good. The good thing about the one on E-bay is that the guy has already slipped in a graphics card that will also do what you need. However, I think this machine would maybe be pushing it for HD content.

I myself would just go for the 2nd option, a newish spec PC with lots of memory and drop in the graphics card. For 220 quid all in, it really aint a bad deal that one. The CPU is an Intel Celeron type, which I'd normally not be so keen on. However, the dual-core 3400 Celerons perform pretty good for what they cost. It's an entry level processor that actually has some guts. Paired with that ATI card I linked to, it'd be a 'bang for buck' solution, which should also be powerful enough to do HD.

Both of these would hook up to your HDTV providing that has the right inputs. You need to check what you can connect to your TV.

We don't know your budget though, I have advised you looking at about 200 quid, you may have more to spend. And bear in mind, I am not responsible for any advice you may follow.

Do a lot of reading around the net for what others are using with the Hauppage gear as well.

im_loving_it

Standard Member
dont worry im not holding anyone responsible - im just looking for help :)
i guess my budget is around £250, this is what i wanna do with the pc:
1. use hd pvr hauppauge
2. go on the internet to use youtube and gmail wirless cuz the router is in my mums room.
3. use microsoft word
4. i wanna edit my gameplay footage so i guess software comes with the hauppage or i can use movie maker or pinnacle.

Overall i just want something that does the job really and not looking for a pc that will be beast...

thats all i need the pc for

my tv has 4 hdmi slots, its a 1080p and has loads of other slots at the back of it aswell.

im going sleep now, but thanks for your help, in the morning i will have another look on eBay and wanna show you guys some links and see what you think,
thanx guys, one love!

avhpmassive

Novice Member
you connect the hd pvr to the pc using USB,
Happy days then, I'm not so well up on the kit itself. The composite video must be for when outputting from the PVR into the PC :)

The second recommendation I gave you is one we also now know works on the basis of what was said in that Hauppage forum , not bad for 220 quid, not bad at all.

avhpmassive

Novice Member
yeah, by the way - which pc you got?
Mine? It's old now. It's a Gigabyte mainboard with an Intel E7200 chip and 6 Gigs of RAM. The only reason this thing keeps up with anything any more is because I have it clocked at 4Ghz. It's been clocked at that speed for almost 3 years since I built it. I've an ATI 5850 graphics card too, so can game a bit with it.

Good job it still works, cos I'm skint..

;)

im_loving_it

Standard Member
oh, i dunno what clocked means but it sounds good, im on ebay now looking for more, i will show you thinks before i buy it

im_loving_it

Standard Member
ive decided to go with the first link you sent me Dell Inspiron 530 Desktop computer cuz its the cheapest one and it does the job!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

avhpmassive

Novice Member
ive decided to go with the first link you sent me Dell Inspiron 530 Desktop computer cuz its the cheapest one and it does the job!!!
Well it should do the job for you, bear in mind that the one I linked to is not any old Dell Inspiron 530, it has an upgraded graphics card. Almost every other Inspiron 530 you'll see will just have standard integrated graphics.

avhpmassive

Novice Member
Well it was a good price, but you can still check around for others and post them here. if I'm around, I'll have a look for you. Others will too.

That second option of mine would last you longer though, it's not a bad deal.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews

Latest News

What's new on Netflix UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Warner Bros 2021 movies coming to HBO Max and cinemas simultaneously
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
4K Streaming impacts carbon emissions says Royal Society
  • By Andy Bassett