HD PQ Ashes

Such

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Is it me or is the PQ on SS1 cricket not good?

Is it me or is the PQ on SS1 cricket not good?

Just had my HD channels activated so that was my first HD broadcast. I thought it was OK, not mind-blowing. How do you know which stuff is genuinely shot with HD cameras and which footage is just upscaled?

Not quite sure, but if you get a decent HD feed during sports you can tell with the amount of fine datail in the background. Also, somtimes you can get a quick glimpse of the HD sony cameras being used!

Press the 'i' button, you will then see HD or W to let you know what's being broadcast.

ATB

Max

its a poor doo when you need to pull up a menu to see if its HD.
proves my point that HD is ok, but not mind blowing otherwise YOU WOULD KNOW THE DIFFERENCE.
HD is simply... a progression NOT a revolution.

As far as I know, the ashes aren't being recorded with HD Cameras. Channel 9 is Aus hold the rights, and they're not broadcasting it in HD.

Probably because it's not a HD transmittion.

:rolleyes: May be going out on a limb here but i think this is why you dont notice much difference in the picture quality:rotfl: :rotfl:

yep - def not a HD transmission - can tell straight away no diff and was confirmed whn you press the "i" button, no "HD" tag

ASHES down under from day one, has never been broadcast in HD.

its a poor doo when you need to pull up a menu to see if its HD.
proves my point that HD is ok, but not mind blowing otherwise YOU WOULD KNOW THE DIFFERENCE.
HD is simply... a progression NOT a revolution.

Maybe Im speaking too soon only having had HD for one morning but thats the conclusion Im coming to. Its clearly a step forward but by no means the revolution Sky have hyped it up to be. Maybe that'll be whenever 1080p broadcasts eventually happen?

You don't have to press the "i" button to see if it's being broadcast in HD...if it is, then HD will follow the Sky Sports 1 logo on channel 408 and Sky Sports 2 logo on 409.
I didn't see the cricket last night or this morning, but if there was no HD in the logo in the top right hand corner of the screen, it was upscaled SD.
Same goes for Sky One HD.

Maybe Im speaking too soon only having had HD for one morning but thats the conclusion Im coming to. Its clearly a step forward but by no means the revolution Sky have hyped it up to be. Maybe that'll be whenever 1080p broadcasts eventually happen?

No disrespect to you or jamespickles but how can you say HD is not a 'revolution' if you are judging it by watching a SD (upscaled) transmission. The Ashes may be on an HD channel but it is not shot on HD cameras.

Sport captured with Hi Def cameras is IMHO generally superb and is revolutionary.

We have to accept that, at the moment, not everything shown on the HD channels is true HD.

with respect, I think it's a little premature to be making judgements just after installation, if you had seen chelsea v arsenal last sunday you might have changed your views, the PQ was awesome.

I do have to feel sorry for some who are confused by seeing sports for the first time on the SS1HD and SS2HD channels. Basically if the Sky Sports logo doesnt have HD in it, it's upscaled.

Throughout the summer the HD cricket was stunning. Theres a massive difference and the nature of the sport highlights the benefit of switching to HD (much more than football IMO).

I agree with the others - too early to say that broad statement - some shows/channels are better than others, prob to do with bitrate and you do notice the difference

having said that i didn't think the PQ for Lost HD this week was consistently good - the darker shots didn't seem to be that brilliant. Outdoors was fine

I do have to feel sorry for some who are confused by seeing sports for the first time on the SS1HD and SS2HD channels. Basically if the Sky Sports logo doesnt have HD in it, it's upscaled.

The Untouchables on S1HD during the week had "HD" after the logo and it was just upscaled.....

Oh god, the level of idiocy in here is frightening. People slagging off the quality of Sky HD based on watching an SD programme!

Oh god, the level of idiocy in here is frightening. People slagging off the quality of Sky HD based on watching an SD programme!

No need to be a t055er...

if someone doesnt understand, then feel free to inform them!! :nono:

Even if the Ashes was filmed in HD, then there would need to be enough bandwidth on the link(s) delivering the pictures to Sky for transmission and of course that would cost.....

The Untouchables on S1HD during the week had "HD" after the logo and it was just upscaled.....

If it had HD after the logo then it was in HD. How can you tell it was upscaled? It's not possible IMO - it's either HD or SD. I'm sure Sky would land themselves in trouble with somebody if they said they were broadcasting in HD and then upscaling it...there's a major difference between the 2. If there wasn't, why would we bother with Sky HD...why not just buy a good scaler and upscale everything...?

The original source material for The Untouchables is neither SD or HD, it is 35mm film. We must assume the transfer to a digital medium resulted in a HD copy. Some transfers are better than others just as some 35mm show prints are clearer/sharper than others.

ah....ok!

Glad to be wrong here...i'd read elsewhere it was just upscaled :smashin:

I got HD yesterday and am watching the Ashes at this moment (shame about no first innings lead)
I noticed that the broadcast was not in HD despite it being on "Sky Sports 2HD" but the picture quality is still an improvement on what I was getting in my "Sky + via Scart" days.
Is this down to upscaling or HDMI ?

Ron J.
ps I think the BEEB film everything in 720p. They were certainly using 720p cameras for the Bill Oddie thingy at Martin Mere(only transmitted in SD of course) and I've seen similar gear being used when watching some of the Planet Earth stuff. I don't know whether Sky use 720p cams for live broadcasts.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom