HD player to DVD question

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by steveenduro, Mar 8, 2006.

1. steveenduro

steveenduro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All.
    I'm relatively new to video processing/editing and have a question regarding compatibility.
    I have copied some old 8mm camcorder footage to the HD on my Toshiba RDSX32. I wish to do some very basic editing and copy it to DVD. I have a pc with DVD-RAM capability. I am thinking of copying my footage to DVD-RAM on the Toshiba, saving it to hard disk on my PC, then editing and burning onto DVD-R or DVD-RAM. Is this possible? I'm unsure of the formats involved.
    Is this the best way to accomplish this, or should I struggle along and edit on the Toshiba and then burn directly to disk on this machine rather than pc?

Any help appreciated.

2. steveenduro

steveenduro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All.
    I'm still struggling with this one.
    I've now transferred some 8mm video onto my Toshiba rdsx32 recorder hard disk.
    It is DVD-VR format. I would like to be able to transfer it to my pc for editing, but I am stuggling to do this. Windows Movie Maker does not recognise it.
    Any thoughts?
    Cheers.

3. felix2

felix2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Hi!

Yes, you can do basic editing (cutting and splicing) on the Tosh hard disk (although you might get a slight pause at splice points), and burn it onto DVD-R (or -RW or -RAM).

But you're right, you'll be able to do more with your editing by transferring it onto the PC (via either a DVD-RAM or DVD-RW). The video will be MPEG2 format. To get Windows Movie Maker to recognise that they are MPEG files, you may have to rename the .VOB files (in the VIDEO_TS folder) as .MPG, although I think some people have had problems getting the sound to work. Also, WMM will not save the video back to MPEG nor burn a DVD.

But there's all sorts of other software that might be able to help (and usually import the MPEG video straight from the DVD). A basic DVD Authoring programme (e.g. NeroVision, sometimes free with a DVD writer) should let you do editing slightly better than the Tosh. I use Ulead DVD Movie Factory 4, which is good for DVD editing and authoring. "Proper" video editing programmes will give you more flexibility, and most should do a decent job with MPEG. And there's specific MPEG editing programmes (e.g. Womble, Video ReDo, TMPGenc MPEG editor). A lot of programmes are available for 30-day free trial downloads. And for best quality, since MPEG is a "lossy" compression, you want something that re-encodes the MPEG as little as possible.

Have a good search on the "Camcorders & Video Editing Forum" on here for MPEG editing - that should help you on your way, but do ask any more questions as and when!

[PS. "HD" tends to stand for "High Definition" in the video world now, easier to use "HDD" for hard disk drive!]

4. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    You seem to be going a long way round for this.

You can record to DVD-RAM on your Toshiba and then edit the RAM disc on the Toshiba.

It's possible to do this on the Panasonics so I do not see why it cannot be done on the Toshiba. No PC involved.

5. Stevie DVD

Stevie DVD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If you do decide to go ahead and use your PC for the editing then Computeractive recommends three disc-burning applications: Roxio's Easy Media Creator 8 (£60); Nero (£60) or as a free download Deep Burner. Hope this helps.