HD Player (for the 360)

v CJ v

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Right, i am on the lookout for a 360 HD player, but before i invest, i wanted to know your opinion.

Do you have one? What's it like? Worth the cash?

I don't want to waste my money, £100 is £100.

I'm currently using a Samsung 50" HD plasma, and the 360 is awsome on it.

Honest opinions welcome :thumbsup:

I had one for Christmas but I still havn't watched a HD DVD yet, all the good ones are still out of stock. The choice isn't brilliant, some releases don't come out on HD where as some other wont come out on Blue Ray.

I'm sure the quality will be great, but I would think twice before getting one as I'm not sure if HD DVDs will be around for me longer.
It will probably be clearer in a month or so, or you could buy a player that will play both, but they are ~£500.

Now really isn't the time to be investing in HD DVD; it's future is precarious until Toshiba make some proper announcements.

It's maybe a bad time to 'invest' in HD-DVD - many pundits are predicting it'll lose the format war following Warner's recent announcement that they're going exclusively Blu-ray. Check out the HD-DVD and Bluray forums.

...but if you DO still want to get one, I've had mine a while now, and I can't fault it. Picture quality is superb.

Not sure about the earlier comment re the good HD-DVD movies always being out of stock: I get my movies from MovieTyme (HD-DVD is region free), and I've always been able to get stock. Plenty of good films to choose from.

But the others are right - probably worth hanging on to see how things play out re formats...

The other thing is £100 for the addon is cheaper that the cheapest bluray player ie. playstation 3...

hmmmm.

Thanks Nick for the info on the Play.com DVD player.

The Mrs. will love my new conversation tonight.

Now i need to decide what to do.

The HD player would connect to the TV via HDMI.

But the xbox one is cheaper........ :rolleyes:

I don't like my 360 HD DVD addon, mainly due to the background fan noise of the 360 while I'm trying to watch a film. If you keep an eye on the classifieds you should be able to pick up a secondhand HD-E1 for £100 or less, or an EP30 for a little over £100, either of which is a much better investment than the 360 drive and gives you a nice upscaling dvd player to boot.

Got one for christmas its great, as for the format war there is aload of good titles out on HD more will still be coming out and people not buying HD will be what kills it off. Psus you get 5 free films for another couple of weeks i believe so at the UK price of roughly £20 a film theres your money back straight away. Watched both HD and BD and got to say prefer HD looked alot crisper and blacks were deeper and more distinguishable from the greys. As for noise i watch my films loud through my surround sound so don't notice it.

hmmmm.

Thanks Nick for the info on the Play.com DVD player.

The Mrs. will love my new conversation tonight.

Now i need to decide what to do.

The HD player would connect to the TV via HDMI.

But the xbox one is cheaper........ :rolleyes:

The noise from the 360's fans can be off putting when watching films, I had a 360 HD-DVD drive for 4/5 months but recently upgraded to an EP-30 and while the picture quality is the same, not having the noise of the 360 whirling away definitely makes a difference, at least it does to me.

I was gonna get one to but i won't bother now. Why do the film companies have to be one or the other why not release films on both formats ?

There's not much point getting a HD DVD player / Add-on even if it is cheaper. Paramount & Universal will likely be switching to Blu-Ray in the next few weeks (Or if not switching altogether, at least releasing on both). Any initial savings will be offset by the need to get a Blu-Ray player in future due to lack of content.

Hold off a few weeks at least & see what announcements are made. But some sort of miraculous conversion to HD DVD is unlikely. New Line for example are Blu-Ray only now so you'll not be seeing Lord of the Rings, etc.

i have a hddvd player - got it second hand for forty quid:) picture quality is really great, if you can get it for a good price i say go for it.

Now is the perfect time to buy a HD-DVD add on. I just got mine and its awesome. Performance is widely accepted to be superior to bluray and it has extra features etc. Bluray is currently having a bit of a tough time due to this issue of keep changing specs due to being released before it was standardised, in other words rushed out. Early adoptors are being stung in that their players are not going to work with new releases.

Of course you also get 5 free HD-DVD films when you buy the add on. Currently you can get £60 or £70 for these discs on ebay so £99 for the player is nothing.

Choice of films is excellent both now and planned for the future. Check out here for info http://www.hddvdeurope.com/

CJ I'm currently selling my HD player due to my 360 breaking so I have no use for it. My mate has bought all my discs but you can buy my player for £70 delivered. Its like brand new as has only been used a handful of times before my 360 let me down.

PM me if you're interested!

Now is the perfect time to buy a HD-DVD add on.[/url]
How'd you figure that? The only remaining HD DVD producing studios are Universal & Paramount. Warner Brothers, Fox, Disney, New Line, HBO, Sony... are Blu-Ray only (Warner ceases HD DVD production in May).

I myself have the HD DVD add-on only but I know I'm not buying any more HD DVDs unless there's some monumental announcement on the way.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom