1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD player for HD DVDs...When...and what?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by indyjones, Mar 18, 2005.

1. indyjones

indyjones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    OK, so I'm going to buy a HD projector (720p) soon......HOWEVER.....I hear that the first HD movies (apart from wmv format for the PC) are being released by the end of this year. I don't want to buy an expensive DVD player with HDMI/DVI now, if in half a year, I've got to buy another one to support HD DVD. Are there any players out already that support the new format (whatever that's going to be)? If not, when do you expect the first ones to be available? Any news?
    This transition time always sucks! :rolleyes: You're kinda stuck between the old and the new. I don't want to buy any DVDs now, if they're going to dramatically improve by next year. It's like going from tapes to Cds....
    Any insights?????? :lease:
    Thanks, Indy

2. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    Im going the HTPC route as you can swap drives as they become avialible. You could have a HD DVD and Blue RAy in one machine. I have a 65' DLP HD set and a HTPC connected I have around 10 WMV HD discs, most from germany and a lot of HD downloads. I wount be getting a new top of the range dvd player because as you say the format war is going to begin in a years time. At least with a HTPC I can keep my options open and when the dust settles I will opt for a new player if then need arises.

If you look in the high def section of these forums there is a list of all the HD DVD's out this year. I think theres over 80 titles mentioned. :) Roll on HD

3. indyjones

indyjones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Oh, and I just read some CeBIT news. Appearantly the two formats HD DVD and Blu-ray-Disc WILL NOT be available on the same disc drive!!! what the fudge! Does the industry expect me to buy 2 DVD players so that I can watch movies from all companies. Otherwise I'll be limited to movies supporting one format.
    But maybe this news is wrong....I hope so....anyone else hear anything? :rolleyes:

4. zeropoint

zeropoint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I think Samsung are already showing a player that combines Blu-ray & HD-DVD - sh-b022a.

5. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

Thanks for info zeropoint. A 2 in 1 pc drive. Great news, I wonder how much it will cost? :clap:

6. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +907
    there is a post for this razor in the hidef section but yeah samsung is doing the dual player :thumbsup:

7. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

Excellent :)