HD playback question

meefster

Apologies if this is covered elsewhere but i've been searching for some time with no success.

I am soon to upgrade from Sky+ to SkyHD and currently use an AV sender to watch live/recorded programs in two further rooms. This works well at present but i was hoping to confirm that i can play back programs recorded in HD using the scart socket. I appreciate that they would be downscaled to SD - it just makes sense to record as much as possible in HD so that i can watch it in that format if the opportunity presents itself.

Also, i am planning to replace one of these additional TVs with an HD ready one in the future. Is there an affordable AV sender supporting HD or is this a non-starter (i.e. should i be looking at laying cable)?

Thanks,

Meefster

Last edited:

jezzer256

Content recorded in HD can be watched in SD via the scart socket. Therefore using a scart AV sender would work fine, but as you say, you'd only watch it in SD.

Sending HD wirelessly isn't really possible yet because of bandwidth issues. I'm not sure whether any HD wireless senders exist - if they do, they're probably very expensive. You'd probably also lose quality.

Go for cable... it's a faff but once it's down it's definitely the best option.

Jez

NicolasB

Distinguished Member
i was hoping to confirm that i can play back programs recorded in HD using the scart socket. I appreciate that they would be downscaled to SD - it just makes sense to record as much as possible in HD so that i can watch it in that format if the opportunity presents itself.
Yup, no problems with that at all. In fact, even via SCART, the HD version may well look better because of the superior bandwidth available. Good HD downscaled to SD looks like a really top-notch DVD transfer rather than like the usual over-compressed Sky rubbish.

bobcar

Yup, no problems with that at all. In fact, even via SCART, the HD version may well look better because of the superior bandwidth available. Good HD downscaled to SD looks like a really top-notch DVD transfer rather than like the usual over-compressed Sky rubbish.
I find the jump in quality over SCART from the SD to the HD channel to be much more than the jump from HD channel over SCART to HD itself over HDMI. Obviously the best is HD over HDMI but watching an HD channel over SCART does show how good SD broadcast could be if they didn't cut the bitrates so low.

NicolasB

Distinguished Member
I find the jump in quality over SCART from the SD to the HD channel to be much more than the jump from HD channel over SCART to HD itself over HDMI. Obviously the best is HD over HDMI but watching an HD channel over SCART does show how good SD broadcast could be if they didn't cut the bitrates so low.
Personally I find there's quite a large jump between proper HD and the best upscaled SD. But I have a large 1080p-resolution television that I sit very close to, and I use a video processor to get correct film-mode deinterlacing of 1080i/50; if any of those do not apply, you won't be getting the maximum benefit from HD.

I absolutely agree about how much better SD could look if they would up the bit-rates a bit. :(

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom