Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

HD Plasma (9966) or LCD (9830)

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Davey74, Aug 16, 2005.

1. Davey74

Davey74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    People you all seem to know alot more about this then i do so i require some serious help!!!

I was going to buy the Philips 42PF9966 (plasma) then discovered the new 42PF9830 (LCD) had been released.

I do not know which is best plasma or LCD picture quality wise, i do know that the LCD has £1000+ to pay on top, but does come with all the new HD sockets (HDMI) plus Ambilight 2.

Advise people if you would be so kind.

2. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    If you are looking to get a panel for HDTV viewing (who isnt!) then I think the LCD would be better.

To enjoy HDTV as well as future HD formats like Blu Ray, HD DVD and the PS3 and XBox 360 you would need a panel that supports 1920X1080 resolution. Plasmas do not at this time.

The other thing you would need is the propper conections. At least one HDMI input. Also component. and possibly DVi-D or DVi-I for a Home theater PC. (you never know what youl be conecting to it in the future)

LCDs are also good as they dont burn and are brighter than Palsmas.

Newer plasmas do support one HD resoultion 1280X720 but its not full spec which is 1920X1080. They also have HDMI and DVi conections.
    But suffer from screen buring and high power consumption.

They are cheaper than LCDs though. The size/price ratio is in plasmas favour.

3. Davey74

Davey74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for your helpful reply!

When you read the specs on these tv's why dont any of them actuallt tell you the resolutions, they say pixels (9966 1024 x 1024, 9830 1366 x 768)?

Is the LCD worth £3300 (price found online) or is the plasma £1900 a better buy in peoples opinions???

Oh the 9830 does come with a motorised stand ooooooooooo

4. scarty16

scarty16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    pixels = resolutions (in this case)

But you don't need 1920x1080 to enjoy HDTV, it may be better, it may not be, depends on the source, the processing of the signal, the screen technologies etc

Remember resolution/pixels is not the only factor to consider.

5. Davey74

Davey74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So we are saying that the LCD would be a better buy even though it actually has less pixels than the plasma, (LCD should be the poorer picture as less?) :rolleyes:

Also is the Philips LCD 42PF9830 a good buy at this time when it has no scart sockets and as off yet HD amps & DVD players & sky HD are basically unavailble or if there a way to "plumb in" your old video/DVD till the rest appears?

6. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

The Plasma is based on an ALIS panel which while having a 1024 vertical resolution only has half of those pixels "illuminated" at anyone time unlike "normal" progressive displays used on LCD and other plasmas.
    Similar to a CRT display which has two fields for a single frame scanning the odd number of lines then the even etc etc.

So the numbers game in this case is not so straight forwards as it seems:)