1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD Pioneer or Panasonic which one's for me?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by NaTT, Jun 26, 2004.

1. NaTT

NaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    I'm wanting a 42/43 inch plasma. I've narrowed down my selection to the:
    Panasonic TH-42PHD6
    Pioneer PDP434HDE
    Pioneer PDP-43MXE1-S

Personally, I have marginally preffered Panasonic plamsa images to Pioneer's. But it's close.

My intended use:
    70% TV viewing from an NTL: digital box with RGB scart.
    20% DVD viewing. Will likely be a Momitsu V880N, with DVI, component (RCA type), Supports 480p, 720p, 1080i.
    8% WMHD / DivX viewing either through the Momitsu or a HCPC
    2% xbox
    2% for other PC uses with a HCPC
    I've no need for speakers or amplification

My questions:
    With the PDP434, the HDMI et al are in the media box. How does this connect to the screen, and does it involve any A/D - D/A conversion?
    Which cards would be best for the Panny (DVI plus what?)
    Does the panny come in silver?
    Which should I go for? :D

thanks

2. NaTT

NaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    bumpty bump, whilst there's so many of us browsing

3. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Hi NaTT,

Personally, I'd go for the Pioneer 43MXE as it is more flexible than the HDE, and can take a 50Hz signal on the DVI input, unlike the Panasonic which won't. Regarding the connection from media box to HDE, it is by DVI along with a separate control cable. I don't think the PHD6 is available in silver. Hope this helps.

Steve

4. NaTT

NaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Thanks Dutch.

So can you by pass the media box for DVI sources? Otherwise you'd be needing a DVI-> HDMI cable, only for it to be transported to the screen on a DVI lead. But then I guess you'd have to be swapping leads to do this because it's the only input to the screen?
    Sorry to be daft, but why is it a disadvantage not to be able to port 50Hz over the DVI input?

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,515
    NaTT

PlasmaTV:
    Pioneer PDP-434HDE - no way to not have all of your video sources input via the R04 Media Box. There are command signals being passed via what looks like a standard DVI cable between the Media Box and the Screen and unless these signals are present the screen shuts down after 15 seconds; so no way not to have the Media Box in circuit.

Plasma Display:
    Panasonic TH-42PHD6BX - the 'as supplied' bezel is Charcoal though if you want it can be re-painted any colour you want for about £150.00.

Panasonic TY-42TM6DB card - is slight limited by only having a limited range of 'acceptable' video input signals, only one of which is 50Hz.

Pioneer 43MXE1 - the new kid on the block and early indications are it looks very good; though we still have a fair amount of trial and error to fully understand some of the new features.

If you like to fiddle, tweak, upgrade go with either of the Display models and assume you will splash out on a scaler/video processor now or in the future; the video processing in the displays is not on a par with a Lumagen or DVDO external processor.

Best regards

Joe

6. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    NaTT,

As Joe says, unfortunately you can't bypass the media box. PAL signals are at 50 Hz, so you could use the Momitsu to feed it at 50 instead of at 60 (which the Panny only takes and would give motion judder) - this will give you much smoother motion on camera pans. I feed my Pioneer at 75 Hz from my Momitsu which is possible with a custom resolution. Hope this helps.

Steve

7. VT 4 CCTV

VT 4 CCTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dutch,
    Can i ask how old your 433 MX is. How long has this model been out???

cheers

8. NaTT

NaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    From the spec sheets the Pioneer 43MXE1 looks like it's got the same plasma unit as the PDP-434HDE. (with the first being a display and the other a TV, thanks for the clarification Joe).

When buying a 43MXE1-(S, :thumbsup: ) is it like a panny requiring you to pick option onboard cards for your inputs? I have tried to find the details on their web site promise!
    If yes, then what would be my best options given my sources and intentions?
    Ideally I'd like an out of the box solution plus the ability to tweak later, without having to rip my wall apart if I run the cables in the wall.

9. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,515
    Hello NaTT

As you say the NEW 43MXE1 uses the same front filter and pixel array as the PDP-434HDE - they also share a fair amount of video processing circuitry; though the MXE1 has been tweaked a fair bit and adds more options and features to the control and menu adjustments.

We (as can most Pioneer UK dealers) normally supply the 43MXE1 in three configurations:
    01. No Video board
    02. Including the PDA-5003 BNC Video board
    03. Including the PDA-5004 RCA Video board

I expect we will supply most displays with the PDA-5003 BNC Video board as that has the most flexibility and I only expect to sell displays with NO Video boards if a Home Theatre customer requests us to supply an alternative Third Party board - these have still to fully materialise at present.

As with Panasonic Displays its down to your preferred dealer as to what arrives on your door step - here at TMF we Pre Install all Video boards and run a series of tests on the Display to ensure there are no stuck or dead pixels and also knowing in advance your system configuration we pre configure the various input settings so you should have a plug and play system when our driver drops it off with you.

The 43MXE1 has plenty of tweaking for you to play with in the User and Integrator menus.

If you want more details on your wiring specifics its probably best if you email me off-line.

Best regards

Joe

10. NaTT

NaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Then it looks like I'll be wanting to demo the Pioneer 43MXE1 with the PDA-5004 RCA Video board (the Momitsu comes with RCA terminals, so I'd like to match them and it's not an HDCP device so I don't need to worry about that just yet).

Where can I get a demo of this display, with an RGB Digital TV signal and a DVI/HDMI DVD player into it? I live in Watford.

I guess the only concern is if Sky releases HDCP boxes shortly?

11. NaTT

NaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    also "I expect we will supply most displays with the PDA-5003 BNC"
    As the DVD player/s I'm looking at have RCA connectors and the JS Scart to Componenet has RCA connectors, do you think I'd be better off with the Including the PDA-5003 BNC Video board?
    Or better still, how's BNC more flexible?

12. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    VT 4 CCTV,

I've had my MXE just on 1 year - I think the model came out about a year before that. The new MXE1 model is just becoming available now.

NaTT,

You would be better off getting the PDA-5003 board as you get the choice of using RGBHV or component on superior BNC connectors - you wouldn't have a problem finding RCA to BNC component cables for your Momitsu. I'm not sure where your nearest place to demo one would be, but there are a few reputable dealers in Kent who advertise here. I don't think you need to worry too much about HDCP until Sky go HD in 2006, but even then they probably wouldn't turn it on from the start. Hope this helps.

Steve

13. NaTT

NaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    thanks Steve, what's RGBHV and is it the passing of this only that makes BNC connectors superior? :confused:

14. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,515
    NaTT

RGBHV is Red, Green, Blue + Horizontal and Vertical syncs - its what most PC's and Analogue Video Processors output.

On the PDA-5003 you can switch the menu settings for the BNC connecters (Input 5) between RGBHV and YUV. If you have a YUV (Component) signal you simply attach the 3RCA outputs from your DVD player to the RGB BNC terminals and ignore the H+V terminals.

As Steve says having the option for YUV or RGBHV (PDA-5003) may be preferable to YUV only (PDA-5004) - where the PDA-5004 is most relevant is for customers who plan to use a variety of sources into the Display for Video and Audio as this card has audio inputs for each source whereas the PDA-5003 has a shared audio input for Composite and S-Video.

Best regards

Joe

PS BNC is a technically 'superior' connector to RCA in that its designed to actually carry a 75 ohm video signal - whereas RCA connectors are not; not sure why the Industry ever started using RCA for video but it would be nice if it stopped it some time soon!!!

15. NaTT

NaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    most excellent reply :clap:
    I'll be saving that one to file and will now be getting the 5003.

16. NaTT

NaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    or will I........?

I'm nearing completion of my shopping list (if only I were neare completion on the new house that is facilitating this purchase - by way of the missus permitting it).

I'm on cables at the minute and how best to hook up the x-box with HD etc :D

What else outputs RGBVH?
    When I hook up a PC it'll be via DVI.
    My DVD player will output Component and DVI
    My TV will come from component from a JS RGBtoComp
    And my X-box will output component (that I'll probably then convert to VGA to make best use of the available sockets)

So none of my source are RGBVH. Is it worth getting BNC cables and then converting them to RCA connectors at the ends? Is this done via a custom made cable? So perhaps the 5004?

cheers and thanks for your patience

17. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Well if you think of it another way you are definitely not using SVHS and Composite nor are you running audio up to the screen so anything the 5004 card offers you is wasted and the 5003 card givea you the option to upgrade to a video processor running RGBHV in the future, if you so desire.

18. NaTT

NaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    would a video processor's RGBHV output render better results than it's DVI output?
    I'm guessing with such a lump I might be tempted to stick all inputs into it and have them all go out via DVI.
    Just out of interest anyways as I'm back in the BNC camp now! It'll be the 5003 for mine.

19. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    No, DVI is the way to go with this panel, just forget about the RGVHV if it's of no interest, and concentrate your mind on the 75ohm connectors for component video. Joe is as always, bang on the money. Check out the sticky in the cables and connectors forum by The Beekeeper. Make sure it's raining though, it's a long read. It explains a lot about connection issues that you never wanted to know, but maybe ought to if you are going to get serious.

20. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,515
    NaTT

Just a wild thought!!! - why not contact one of us off line and get all the answers in one go; it'll save you frying your brain :)

Best regards

Joe

21. NaTT

NaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    thanks Joe, have e-mailed you