HD Picture difference between a Panasonic PHD8 and PWD8

S2KI

Standard Member
Reaction score
So we all know that the PHD8 is the HD screen and the PWD8 is the SD one.

And the general concensus is that the PWD8 will still produce a good picture through HDMI when HD Sky arrives.

However how much better is the PHD over the PWD? Obviously when placed side by side the PHD will shine. But in a living room will you notice the difference on a day to day basis?

What are the actual screen resolution differences and how does that equate to the viewable HD picture?

What I am getting at is. Is the PHD worth the extra money now or is it better to go down the PWD route and then get a next gen screen, ie the soon to be released £5000 pioneer, when they become cheaper?

This question has been asked and answered sooo many times on this forum.

In my view at 10 foot away, I can not tell the difference - but that is me - well past 40 and certainly no 20/20 vision.

The price difference is now under £600 - although AV-Sales is threatening to end the special offer deals - though they've done this before - only to re-introduce the offers at even lower prices!

The other thing to take into consideration is the risk of increased levels of buzzing and fan noise from the PHD8 - the PWD8 has no fans.

There is also an opinion that I share - that - less than good SD material (crappy FreeView and Sky channels) can look better on the PWD8 screen.

Gussie :)

S2KI - Not 100% sure why you are asking but your signature suggests that you have a 37PW5. Other than an increase in size of screen, why would you upgrade now?

I would apply the logic you offer in your last sentence and apply that to your current situation, sit tight with your PW5 until such time as HD content is plentiful and the HD technology has moved on a few generations.

UKseless1 said:
S2KI - Not 100% sure why you are asking but your signature suggests that you have a 37PW5. Other than an increase in size of screen, why would you upgrade now?

I actually need another TV now and can't see the point of spending £600 ish on another 26" LCD. Which to be honest are pretty poor. The 37" can go in the bedroom.

Personally speaking, I am going to go for the PWD8 as I reckon the vast majority of my sources for the next three years (at least) will be SD. I will still be able to watch HD sourced material (maybe PS3 when it arrives) but without access to the increased screen detail inherent in an HD display. By the time HD becomes the norm (maybe 5+ years) then I'll upgrade. By which time HD panels will be better and cheaper :smashin:

But then I've never been an early adopter... ;)

Then AV-Sales are doing the PWD8 for just shy of £1100 and I think you'll be hard pressed to do better.

The PHD8....if money is burning a hole in your pocket and you absolutely must have HD and you aren't willing to wait for technology to roll on a few generations........well you get my point.

There's a chap who went down to AV-Sales and did a comparison on the PWD8 and PHD8 posted his thoughts. Think he ended up going for the PWD8...will see if I can find the post.

UKseless1 said:
Then AV-Sales are doing the PWD8 for just shy of £1100 and I think you'll be hard pressed to do better...
Oh yes, I'll be getting mine from AV-Sales :D

UKseless1 said:
...There's a chap who went down to AV-Sales and did a comparison on the PWD8 and PHD8 posted his thoughts. Think he ended up going for the PWD8...will see if I can find the post.
I had a look for that but I found it was a PWD8 and PIO 436 he compared - he preferred the PWD8 :smashin:

Thanks I'll do some reading. Does anyone know anything about the resolution question I asked?

I think MAW or Hornydragon could offer the best explanation with regards the issue of resolution. Have seen Hornydragron say time and again that it's not all just about pixels.

Hello S2KI

TH-42PWD8BK has 852x480 pixels.
TH-42PHD8BK has 1024x768 pixels.

So with both Displays your relying on the in-built video processor to match your Input signals to the Displays pixel array - no matter if its an SD or HD source.

With the PWD your pretty much always down converting your Source signal to match the horizontal resolution of the Display - so your always 'loosing' resolution; though that doesn't equate to producing a poor image.

The PWD and PHD use different video processing engines and for me the PHD is the better option as I find colour banding a pain and its more apparent on the PWD Display.

Viewed in isolation both units produce a very viewable image - viewed side by side and the PWD stands up very well against the PHD but given the choice I'd always take the PHD.

Best regards

Joe

PS The price of the up-coming 1920x1080P 50" model from Pioneer has not been set - it could be a lot more than 5K!

Gussie said:
The price difference is now under £600 - although AV-Sales is threatening to end the special offer deals
!! As the end of the quarter approaches? Say it ain't so ;)

How about if the PWD8 is £999 with a component board?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom