HD over std 100mb LAN?

leecavturbo

Enough band with? I ask as I'm sure I read gig a bit needed for HD.?
My query is in relation to WiDI

Chris Muriel

Distinguished Member
Probably ok with a wired connection.
Less likely with a wireless connection.

leecavturbo

thx chris. hmmm half and half.
Widi will be by wifi. nothing less than N draft and hopefully dual band. ?

Chris Muriel

Distinguished Member
With a good connection with a stroong signal and no interference (including perhaps neighbours using the same or adjacent channels) you may be ok.
Impossible to be certain without trying.

richard-wong

truth is streaming using uPnP or DLNA server (packet video) required very little bandwidth unless the video you are streaming is raw HD rip i.e. it will need 50mpbs or something even higher to stream. Most MKV (1080p) AVI and WMA HD videos requires only about 8-10mbps which is easily done over even a 801.11g wireless (54mbps) connection.

but then again I can't find any TV can play MKV files directly (with a reasonable price tag), which is stupid as MKV is the most common HD file container format.

To answer your question, 100mbps is more than enough (my NAS is connected to my router via 100mbps and it is fully capable of streaming to my computer, laptop, phone and tablet simulanously - yes i tried it) but the question is not how much bandwidth required, but "If you can do it". Sadly the only way i know without forking out thousand is to get a Networked Media Player or play it off a laptop (which is what i do and I like it cos the laptop act as a media player and puts HDMI signal to my AV receiver)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom