HD output via compoent

TeresaM

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Is there such a thing a DVD player or recorder that will output HD signals via component cables. I've looked through the specifications for several models but they don't really make it clear (well, not to me anyway)

Last edited:
the dvd recorder models with hdmi outputs like the sony x70 and x90 and x95 range also allow component outputs , albeit its at 720p if I am not mistaken

you can download the pdf manuals for the x70 and x90 etc from the sony website and check

I would assume other quality models like the pioneer and panasonic will do so as well

I am sure many dvd players also have it too

Thanks for the quick reply. I just had a look at the Sony manuals: with hdmi connection you can select 1080/720/576/480 interlaced or progressive but for the component connection you can only select progressive or interlaced (it doesn't mentioned resolution so I assume it is 576) or is my understanding wrong?

checking my 870 you appear to be correct , except its 720 x 576i or 576p for similar hdmi settings and so I assume its the same for component , but yes component only allows you to select I or P , whereas hdmi also allows 1280 x 720p and 1920 x 1080 I or P as well

so I would say it only allows 576i or 576p on the component

Only old extinct models may offer higher res outputs via component.[ but rare] .

These days in accordance with the plan to 'close the analogue hole', high resolution output will only ever be available via HDMI... so that it can be controlled to prevent leakage of HD material [ Copying].

Gavtech, that's interesting, thanks. I don't suppose you can remember a specific model can you? Then I can look out for a secondhand one.

The reason I'm after one is because I have an old CRT TV which can display up 1080i but only through component and I don't really want to replace it.

Gavtech, that's interesting, thanks. I don't suppose you can remember a specific model can you? Then I can look out for a secondhand one.

The reason I'm after one is because I have an old CRT TV which can display up 1080i but only through component and I don't really want to replace it.

I'm sorry Teresa, I cannot recall any specific models.
I think it will be much rarer in DVDR's than in Players... and since your original post suggests you would consider either, I think you stand a better chance of looking in the direction of Players.

I don't think there is a mainstream brand that offered upscaling via component on a dvd recorder. Samsung offered it on a couple dvd players but they got into trouble with it. Smaller manufacturers have done it quite regularly for dvd players especially chinese brands and its possible there are chinese dvd recorders which feature this but they rarely use decent upscaling chipsets as they are built down to a price point. If you want to upscale dvds for playback the zoran based samsung hd-850 is a good model but I don't think you'll get a dvd recorder with the same function.

Freeview bitrates are so low at the moment too and with resolutions on freeview dropping from 720x576 to 544x576 on some channels to make way for freeview hd channels you aren't going to get much of a benefit from upscaling them.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom