HD output resoloution

tommyb1

Established Member
Reaction score
I've posted about this a few times to try and gauage opinion (cheers Mwardy!) and.....

It would appear that the HD box outputs a 576p signal, which means that it deinterlaces the 576i broadcast that it receives.

Apparently, it does a much worse job at deinterlacing than simply upscaling a 576i to a 1080i signal (where i assume it doesn't do any deinterlacing)

what is the consensus on best output option?

1080i for HD content,but that can be awful for SD,so I use the s-video output converted but not upscaled(576i) through my 3808,which also allows tweeking of the picture to best suit the poor quality channels like Sc-fi and Hallmark etc.This also allows me to use my tv's 'zoom' modes,rather than the 'stretchyvision' of 4:3 1080i by hdmi.This might be controversial!:)

Whichever looks the best to you with your kit. You have the Sky box and the TV, just try each setting/interface in turn and see which is the best - if you can't tell any difference then it doesn't matter which you use.

Simple really.

Apparently, it does a much worse job at deinterlacing than simply upscaling a 576i to a 1080i signal (where i assume it doesn't do any deinterlacing)
You assume wrong. :) You can't upscale a picture without deinterlacing it first.

There cannot possibly be a consensus on that question because it depends on whether your TV is better at upscaling than your Sky box, and that varies from TV to TV. Personally I use the "Auto" setting. Some other people prefer "1080i". You need to try both and decide for yourself which looks better for SD material.

1080i for HD content,but that can be awful for SD,so I use the s-video output converted but not upscaled(576i) through my 3808,which also allows tweeking of the picture to best suit the poor quality channels like Sc-fi and Hallmark etc.This also allows me to use my tv's 'zoom' modes,rather than the 'stretchyvision' of 4:3 1080i by hdmi.This might be controversial!:)
RGB SCART will give you a better picture than S-Video.

RGB SCART will give you a better picture than S-Video.
I knew I'd have to explain this!I know only too well that RGB would be better,but I live with a woman,and I'm sure you know that compromises have to be made.The RGB scart is connected to the Sony HDDDVD recorder,and training her to do any more faffing about,other than selecting SkyHd or SkySd on the AVR, is way beyond my ability!Anyway its better than having poor quality programming upscaled to 1080i and then having my panel rescale it back to its native 768 res, plus the 3808 allows adjustment of the analog input signal to help sort of optimise brightness/contrast/colour for the poorer quality channels.I have thought of trying a RGB splitter, though that would entail more training of SWMBO,selecting hdmi on the TV remote, or multiple presses of the 'help' button of the SkyHd remote until the HD picture appears on the hdmi input 4 of the TV,after viewing SD by scart, and if I did this I know she would say,why can't you leave it alone?You always have to make everthing complicated!:)

When the SkyHd remote is in TV mode,the help button cycles the TV av inputs,on the Pio panel,:)

quick resolution question here aswell please.
will a tv with a native resolution of 1080p up scale the sky box resolution of 720p or 1080i to 1080p.
cheers

will a tv with a native resolution of 1080p up scale the sky box resolution of 720p or 1080i to 1080p.
cheers

Basically the TV will scale anything that doesn't match it's native resolution.

That said there should be no need to use 720p on the SKY box as all HD channels are 1080i and and if you send 1080i the TV will just de-interlace as required since no scaling is required.

cheers bus i have set it up on 1080i and got recommended tv settings for sky hd from the settings forum for my tv and i am really pleased with it.
cheers

Basically the TV will scale anything that doesn't match it's native resolution.

That said there should be no need to use 720p on the SKY box as all HD channels are 1080i and and if you send 1080i the TV will just de-interlace as required since no scaling is required.

cheers bus i have set it up on 1080i and got recommended tv settings for sky hd from the settings forum for my tv and i am really pleased with it.
cheers
You may want to set the output to Automatic rather than 1080i as the TV will (most will) then auto aspect ratio switch between 4:3 and 16:9 channels. Whether the resulting SD picture is worse, the same or better than leaving on 1080i depends on your TV - try the different settings and see which you prefer as that's all that matters.

cheers
All TVs scale any input to to their native resolution: if they didn't then the picture wouldn't fit the screen! (Strictly speaking converting 1080i to 1080p isn't a scaling operation, though, merely deinterlacing).

cheers bud that sorts it for me i had it in my head for some reason that my tv would be showing 1080p when i pressed the resolution info button on the remote,thought there was something wrong when it was showing 1080i :D

All TVs scale any input to to their native resolution: if they didn't then the picture wouldn't fit the screen! (Strictly speaking converting 1080i to 1080p isn't a scaling operation, though, merely deinterlacing).

I knew I'd have to explain this!I know only too well that RGB would be better,but I live with a woman,and I'm sure you know that compromises have to be made.The RGB scart is connected to the Sony HDDDVD recorder,and training her to do any more faffing about,other than selecting SkyHd or SkySd on the AVR, is way beyond my ability!Anyway its better than having poor quality programming upscaled to 1080i and then having my panel rescale it back to its native 768 res, plus the 3808 allows adjustment of the analog input signal to help sort of optimise brightness/contrast/colour for the poorer quality channels.I have thought of trying a RGB splitter, though that would entail more training of SWMBO,selecting hdmi on the TV remote, or multiple presses of the 'help' button of the SkyHd remote until the HD picture appears on the hdmi input 4 of the TV,after viewing SD by scart, and if I did this I know she would say,why can't you leave it alone?You always have to make everthing complicated!:)

Thats why i got a Harmony 1000:D

Thats why i got a Harmony 1000:D
You have got to be kidding!The SkyHd remote has all the TV/AVR/SkyHd functions she can handle.:)

cheers bud that sorts it for me i had it in my head for some reason that my tv would be showing 1080p when i pressed the resolution info button on the remote,thought there was something wrong when it was showing 1080i :D
The TV shows what type of signal it is receiving. It always displays 1080p so there wouldn't be much point in advertising that.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom