HD outdoor IP camera advice

Discussion in 'Smart Home, Climate Control & Security Forum' started by MazMan, Feb 4, 2014.

1. MazMan

MazMan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Dear members,

I'm looking to get a HD outdoor IP camera which will be installed on my 6th floor balcony and will be pointing down at the block's parking lot. My car has been involved in two hit and runs, wing mirror theft and recently, a catalytic converter theft. So, it's time to have some surveillance.

I've had a look at the 1080p UCam247 model with built-in DVR. Don't think the 15 metre night vision range is going to be enough from the 6th floor, particularly when the camera will be at a slight angle. Maybe would require around 20/25 metres. Otherwise the UCam247 would've been perfect.

Here is an image of my building. 6th floor is 2nd from last at the top. This is for height purposes only, as my balcony is not located on this side hence you cannot see the parking lot either.
    [​IMG]

Thanks

2. Darvish

Darvish
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. dj-dulux

dj-dulux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    Either narrow fixed lens, or optical zoom and high power narrow beam IR illuminator, this will also mean you need true day/night camera. This needs designing to ensure everything is going to work as expected, I would also put up a wider angle camera to capture the scene. As Bertq says, would not expect change from £1500 - £2000 to do it properly.

Dupe...

4. Ruehl

Ruehl
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Camera is better than nothing, but lots of issues from living up top.

Cameras mounted 6 stories up would be too difficult for identification even in the daytime. At best, you might get the color of the car and make model but that's it. For night vision, the on-camera IR is good for maybe 30 feet max also making it a distance issue.

Best bet, speak to the HOA and get approval to mount cameras in the parking lot perhaps underneath the light posts. Or perhaps speak to neighbors on the 1st or 2nd floor about installing cameras. Also, consider fake cameras. Read the reviews on amazon for the fake or dummy security cameras, they really work!