HD or SD? Tape or HDD?

Mr Lazy

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

My Samsung miniDV camcorder has just given up the ghost and need to find a replacement. I've been doing some web-based research and reading this excellent forum, but I need some help trying to decide whether to go HD or not. Regardless of HD/SD, I'm also torn between HDD and tape (I've discounted DVD and flash).

I have the following questions buzzing around my head:
- can all HDV camcorders play back miniDV tapes or is this camcorder specific? Ideally I'd like to still be able to play back my existing miniDV tapes (they are all copied onto DVD but I'd rather not rely on the DVDs as the only 'usable' copy)

- the only reason I am considering HDD over tape is the ease/speed of transfer to PC, combined with the ability to select and playback individual clips. However I am concerned with the backup strategy if I go down the HD route - how do people currently backup HDV/AVCHD given the file sizes/HD content - is it PC only or is there a way I could use my existing standalone SD DVD recorder (single layer)?

- I hear talk of the PQ being better with tape than HDD, but will I (and the wife etc.) really notice any difference? Given that I'm used to SD, if I go down the HD route surely anything will be an improvement regardless of media type?

- I've noticed some HD camcorders (ie. Sony HR5) do not have Firewire - what's that about? - my laptop does not have any form of AV in/out, so would I be stuck?

- if a camcorder has no HDMI output, it can still output HD via component AV, right?

- my Panasonic 32" LCD TV can display up to 720p but can accept a 1080i input and downscale - I have heard this can decrease the PQ, is that true? Is it worth getting a camcorder that can output in 720 (I believe these are rare)?

The camcorder will primarily be used for filming the kids and family events etc. I don't intend on doing any editing (certainly if HD I don't think my laptop is the appropriate tool despite being dual core and can't afford to upgrade right now), although you never know.

I'm prepared to pay 500GBP for HD (would push to 550 for something that's worth the extra). I appreciate this is entry-level for HD and will only give me a very narrow field of choices.

Many thanks
Steve

can all HDV camcorders play back miniDV tapes or is this camcorder specific? Ideally I'd like to still be able to play back my existing miniDV tapes (they are all copied onto DVD but I'd rather not rely on the DVDs as the only 'usable' copy)

Yes, all HDV cams can play miniDV tapes.

- the only reason I am considering HDD over tape is the ease/speed of transfer to PC, combined with the ability to select and playback individual clips. However I am concerned with the backup strategy if I go down the HD route - how do people currently backup HDV/AVCHD given the file sizes/HD content - is it PC only or is there a way I could use my existing standalone SD DVD recorder (single layer)?

I use HDV, but yes you can burn AVCHD (or HDV) raw files to a ordinary DVD as a data disc.

- I hear talk of the PQ being better with tape than HDD, but will I (and the wife etc.) really notice any difference? Given that I'm used to SD, if I go down the HD route surely anything will be an improvement regardless of media type?

Yes, any of the AVCHD cams will be an improvement, and are good. The quality differences between AVCHD and HDV are small - you have to know what you are looking for.

- I've noticed some HD camcorders (ie. Sony HR5) do not have Firewire - what's that about? - my laptop does not have any form of AV in/out, so would I be stuck?

None of the AVCHD cams have Firewire (as far as I know). You copy the files with USB.

- if a camcorder has no HDMI output, it can still output HD via component AV, right?

Right.

- my Panasonic 32" LCD TV can display up to 720p but can accept a 1080i input and downscale - I have heard this can decrease the PQ, is that true? Is it worth getting a camcorder that can output in 720 (I believe these are rare)?

Don't know about your TV. I know you can convert in software from 1080i to 720p and it looks very good (with decent software). I've been impressed when I connect my 1080i camcorder to my 480p Plasma....

The camcorder will primarily be used for filming the kids and family events etc. I don't intend on doing any editing (certainly if HD I don't think my laptop is the appropriate tool despite being dual core and can't afford to upgrade right now), although you never know.

I'm prepared to pay 500GBP for HD (would push to 550 for something that's worth the extra). I appreciate this is entry-level for HD and will only give me a very narrow field of choices.

If you don't plan to edit, then the HDD/AVCHD cams have a big advantage, as you can easily find the clips you want; delete ones you don't want to keep, etc all from the camcorder.

Bargin on the Canon HG10, which is probably the best AVCHD/HDD cam available, here at £549

http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/conte...rs~subdept~HARDDISCCAMCORDERS~brand~canon.htm

Thanks for your time Mark, really useful answers.

There's only two things putting me off HDD:
1) how do I play my existing tapes (especially if in the future my backup DVDs don't play on whatever new DVD player/recorder I get or for that matter on anyone else's I might want to share footage with, or they get stolen/destroyed in a fire, or am I being too paranoid?). I had started copying my DV to my external hard disk when the Samsung died, so essentially I would only have one (usable) copy of each "tape", which makes me very nervous. I'm not expecting an answer to this BTW (but would be happy to receive anyone's opinion), I guess it's just a decision I need to commit to.
2) at what point do I say "right, time for a backup" when you have a potential 7 hours (or whatever) of footage. At least with tape there is an obvious time to archive - when you reach the end! :)

Apart from that I'm still keen :confused:

yes you can burn AVCHD (or HDV) raw files to a ordinary DVD as a data disc.
OK, so I could do it through the PC, but not directly to my standalone DVD recorder as at present, right? Presumably because it's not HD-DVD (or BluRay) and there's not enough space etc. Sounds like this could lengthen the process which I'm not too keen on. I guess it would be even longer with HDV tape though given the real-time transfer. Having two pre-school kids I don't get a lot of (ie. any) free time :rolleyes: I don't know what quality setting is considered 'normal' with these formats (ie. SP/LP/XP) but if recording at SP, how much data would fit on one ordinary DVD-R?

None of the AVCHD cams have Firewire (as far as I know). You copy the files with USB.
OK, I wonder why that is. Just seems odd as I thought Firewire was virtually invented for this very application.

I've been impressed when I connect my 1080i camcorder to my 480p Plasma....
Should be ok then. I'm sure I read a review of a camcorder that could record/output in both 720 and 1080 but I can't remember which one it was now ugh!

Bargin on the Canon HG10, which is probably the best AVCHD/HDD cam available, here at £549
Better than the SR5 then yeah? purelygadgets are selling it for 478 (sale ends today). Empiredirect have 7-10 day lead time on the HG10 and I really didn't want to wait that long (though I want to make the right purchase).

Cheers
Steve

how do I play my existing tapes (especially if in the future my backup DVDs don't play on whatever new DVD player/recorder I get or for that matter on anyone else's I might want to share footage with, or they get stolen/destroyed in a fire, or am I being too paranoid?).

Yes that is something you need to consider. If you go to a HDD cam, then you need a strategy for where you backup anyway. You can backup your DV material in the same way. Some options are DVD (but make multiple copies), or you can have additional HDDs (e.g. a RAID setup, where data is automatically duplicated).

Or you can buy a cheap DV camcorder just for playing old tapes...

don't know what quality setting is considered 'normal' with these formats (ie. SP/LP/XP) but if recording at SP, how much data would fit on one ordinary DVD-R?

Depends on the model. Generally the highest quality rate is in the range of 13 to 17 Mbps. That means something like 30-40 mins on a disc. "SP" tends to be around 9 Mbps, which is around 1 hour.

The HG10 is quite similar to the Sony SR7; the SR5 has a few less features. In terms of quality there isn't a huge difference, the SR5 should be OK, just the HG10 is a bit better...

OK, I wonder why that is. Just seems odd as I thought Firewire was virtually invented for this very application.

Firewire and DV go hand in hand; DV was designed with Firewire in mind (and maybe vice-versa). But with a HDD cam, it's really just like an external HDD to the PC, and USB is used as that is the most common.

or you can have additional HDDs (e.g. a RAID setup, where data is automatically duplicated).
In my dream perhaps :)

Or you can buy a cheap DV camcorder just for playing old tapes...
Will have a look at prices on ebay :D Seriously, if I do decide to go HD on HDD I might consider this option, it's just a question of money.

The HG10 is quite similar to the Sony SR7; the SR5 has a few less features. In terms of quality there isn't a huge difference, the SR5 should be OK, just the HG10 is a bit better...
SR7 is way above budget. Shame, cause those Sony's look great in black. Yes, I'm materialistic as well as lazy.

Although I haven't seen the HG10 in the flesh, I'd previously thought of Canon's as plasticky - I take it that is not the case with this one and that the build quality is good?

Off to read some reviews of both...

Thanks again Mark.

Although I haven't seen the HG10 in the flesh, I'd previously thought of Canon's as plasticky - I take it that is not the case with this one and that the build quality is good?
It is infact quite well built . I have one on loan for trial use . I find it better built than the HV20 which isn't itself bad
I dont work for Canon ( honest) but youll have to agree the XM2 and its ilk are not in the least bit plasticky!
Infact I own Sony camcorders but Canon DSLRs, but I'm rather struggling to find any bad things to say about the HG10 TBH:thumbsup:
And Im not even enamoured with AVCHD but the HG 10 is deserving of its good reviews

but youll have to agree the XM2 and its ilk are not in the least bit plasticky!
Indeed, I was refering to the consumer (lower-end) camcorders and certainly not their SLRs and pro/semi-pro camcorders.

Shame there's no manual focus ring, surprising considering the list price. Guess you can't have everything.

Thanks for your comments Senu I now need to work out if I can justify 550 as opposed to 490 (cheapest price seen so far for the SR5 though haven't looked properly yet)...will be reading reviews today and seeing how the SWMBO feels about 60 quid :)

I replied to your other thread...
now back to this one..

I don't want to send you around in circles, but when I said AVCHD/HDD cams are great if you aren't editing (you can pick and choose clips etc); I was assuming you are using a PC. AVCHD, combined with a fast PC and the right software, you can pick and choose the clips you want and burn them to a disc.

But, for the easiest life (if you really are "Mr. Lazy"... :)) tape is easiest, as you can just simply play the tapes, if you don't want to edit or deal with a PC at all. With a HDD cam this only works until the HDD is full... then you have to do something with it.

I say this is there was a recent thread where someone was looking to swap their AVCHD Panasonic SD5, as they found working with AVCHD too difficult
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=681964

To be clear, there is nothing wrong with AVCHD or the SD5, it's a great camcorder. It is just that you do need to be willing to spend some effort on a PC to be able to manage the video you get.

I don't want to send you around in circles
Don't worry I've been doing that to myself! I just can't decide what's best for me - HDD or tape. The pros and cons of both way up very equally for me. Unlike a lot of experienced people here I have nothing against tape, but I must admit HDD/Flash is more sexy, but I won't allow that to sway me. If my old MiniDV is going to remain working (most of the time) then I will probably plump for HDD as at least I'll still have something to play my existing MiniDV tapes on and use to finish the process of archiving them to DVD (well at least until it gives up the ghost and then I'll either resort to the DVDs/files as the only archive or buy a cheap one on ebay).

if you aren't editing.
I haven't done this with my tapes so far, but then again I could have done with some decent editing capability last year when I was asked to film a relevative's wedding (in theory the rudimentary editing capabilities of my standalone DVD recorder should have been enough but that's another story). For now though editing is not my main concern it will just complicate matters.

I was assuming you are using a PC.
Ideal scenario would be to use a Blu-Ray recorder (either PC-based or standalone would be simpler) to backup to disc and also to backup to PC hard drive. The former is still a pipe dream as the units are too expensive but I imagine that in 12-18 months there will be affordable Blu-Ray writers.

As far as playback only is concerned I wonder if my laptop is up to spec. It's just under a year old. AMD Turion64x2 at 1.8Ghz. 1GB RAM but cheap to upgrade to 2GB. Vista Premium. I have a feeling it will be the graphics card that will let it down. When playing DV .AVI files in WMP there is occasionally some stuttering but usually only when I try and do something else at the same time. What do you think? If not, will I still be able to just merge clips together (etc.) ok ie. not actual editing of the video per se.

But, for the easiest life (if you really are "Mr. Lazy"
Like most men I'll do anything for an easy life. As I type I am copying my most recent MiniDV to PC. Of course it took one hour for the realtime transfer. I thought I would choose WMV for the first time thinking it would be quicker (2GB file as opposed to 13GB) - WRONG! It has calculated that it will take over 4.5 hours to complete the import (create the file?). I like the sound of being able to copy from a HDD in a more "parent-friendly" timeframe.

I say this is there was a recent thread where someone was looking to swap their AVCHD Panasonic SD5
I think that person probably didn't do enough research. Though in fairness, it is a complicated subject especially if you are not technically minded/experienced.

Enough of my waffle.

I have some questions about the HG10 and the SR5 which I'll post a bit later...still got some work to do...

Ok... you've done your homework!

I'm not sure if your PC is fast enough or not... an intel Core Duo is generally fast enough but not sure how that compares.

Ideal scenario would be to use a Blu-Ray recorder (either PC-based or standalone would be simpler) to backup to disc and also to backup to PC hard drive. The former is still a pipe dream as the units are too expensive but I imagine that in 12-18 months there will be affordable Blu-Ray writers

There is this device which allows easy creation of an AVCHD disc for Sony models..
http://www.sony.co.uk/view/ShowProd...imageType=Main&category=CAC+Other+Accessories
http://www.purelygadgets.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=9024&wysiwyg=10

Then if you have a Blu-ray player or a PS3 you can play it...

Panasonic also has one
http://www.panasonic.co.uk/pukweb04-otm-cam-accessories/vw-bn1e-s/index.htm
http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/conte...s~st~Camcorder+Accessories~make~Panasonic.htm

Canon is coming out with one as well
http://www.canon-europe.com/About_Us/News/Consumer_Releases/Consumer_2008_DW-100.asp

I don't want to send you around in circles
Don't worry I've been doing that to myself! I just can't decide what's best for me - HDD or tape. The pros and cons of both way up very equally for me. Unlike a lot of experienced people here I have nothing against tape, but I must admit HDD/Flash is more sexy, but I won't allow that to sway me. If my old MiniDV is going to remain working (most of the time) then I will probably plump for HDD as at least I'll still have something to play my existing MiniDV tapes on and use to finish the process of archiving them to DVD (well at least until it gives up the ghost and then I'll either resort to the DVDs/files as the only archive or buy a cheap one on ebay).

if you aren't editing.
I haven't done this with my tapes so far, but then again I could have done with some decent editing capability last year when I was asked to film a relevative's wedding (in theory the rudimentary editing capabilities of my standalone DVD recorder should have been enough but that's another story). For now though editing is not my main concern it will just complicate matters.

I was assuming you are using a PC.
Ideal scenario would be to use a Blu-Ray recorder (either PC-based or standalone would be simpler) to backup to disc and also to backup to PC hard drive. The former is still a pipe dream as the units are too expensive but I imagine that in 12-18 months there will be affordable Blu-Ray writers.

As far as playback only is concerned I wonder if my laptop is up to spec. It's just under a year old. AMD Turion64x2 at 1.8Ghz. 1GB RAM but cheap to upgrade to 2GB. Vista Premium. I have a feeling it will be the graphics card that will let it down. When playing DV .AVI files in WMP there is occasionally some stuttering but usually only when I try and do something else at the same time. What do you think? If not, will I still be able to just merge clips together (etc.) ok ie. not actual editing of the video per se.

But, for the easiest life (if you really are "Mr. Lazy"
Like most men I'll do anything for an easy life. As I type I am copying my most recent MiniDV to PC. Of course it took one hour for the realtime transfer. I thought I would choose WMV for the first time thinking it would be quicker (2GB file as opposed to 13GB) - WRONG! It has calculated that it will take over 4.5 hours to complete the import (create the file?). I like the sound of being able to copy from a HDD in a more "parent-friendly" timeframe.

I say this is there was a recent thread where someone was looking to swap their AVCHD Panasonic SD5
I think that person probably didn't do enough research. Though in fairness, it is a complicated subject especially if you are not technically minded/experienced.

Enough of my waffle.

I have some questions about the HG10 and the SR5 which I'll post a bit later...still got some work to do...

you can put any hd footage you have on blue ray but have to be prepared to pay.at the moment although i still prefer hdv tape cams they can be a pain as i found out today copying some tapes a play back hdv drop out while copying means a second rate copy or starting again which can be a pain if you are near the end of a film.

Thanks Chris that's a very good point and one I hadn't really thought about. I guess with SD on MiniDV you tend to just accept the odd glitch now again because, hey, it's just SD and it's "just" tape (I'm talking from a casual consumer perspective rather than doing anything more "serious"). With HD there must be a natural tendency to expect and demand (near) perfection, and perhaps rightly so.

.. Unlike a lot of experienced people here I have nothing against tape, but I must admit HDD/Flash is more sexy,
Im not sure how "experienced" I might be but I like tape still and also warm to the idea of HDD /Flash for impulse recording;)

Editing can be fun ( even additive) if you dont make it a chore .and the results can be very entertaining. It really just needs you to actually start
It is time consuming but you don't have to spend lots of time on all video and some footage doesn't need editing anyway. Occasionally you can shoot with the aim of minimal editing
Like most men I'll do anything for an easy life. As I type I am copying my most recent MiniDV to PC. Of course it took one hour for the realtime transfer. I thought I would choose WMV for the first time thinking it would be quicker (2GB file as opposed to 13GB) - WRONG!
It has calculated that it will take over 4.5 hours to complete the import (create the file?). I like the sound of being able to copy from a HDD in a more "parent-friendly" timeframe.
To be sure mpeg transfer is very quick but if you edit or reencode for any reason..the time advantage of HDD gets lost. I would have thought having a Setop DVD recorder ( especially one with HDD which you can trim, cut out scenes, split or combine scenes would make you just stick to tape..:rolleyes:

I think t

I was talking to guy I guy I know and respect today by email. I am planning on installing a NAS with 5 x 500GB HDDs in RAID5 (or maybe 6). He applauded my idea but warned me not to forget to back up the data.

Now, the data will be FLAC ripped from CDs, ISO ripped from my DVDs, and AVCHD footage from my SD7.

I started to ponder what hardware I'd need to back up this lot and came to the conclusion that I'd either need a big expensive tape drive, or another 5 x 500GB NAS in RAID5 (or 6 :) ). That's £900, twice.

Oh, I also have some Canon HV10 footage on there, but I am not worried about that because all the footage is safely stowed on six MiniDV tapes.

Think on..

I started to ponder what hardware I'd need to back up this lot and came to the conclusion that I'd either need a big expensive tape drive, or another 5 x 500GB NAS in RAID5 (or 6 :) ). That's £900, twice.

I didn't realise I had to take out a second mortage if I went HD :D

We (the missus and I) have decided to use the old MiniDV cam 'intensively' for a week and see if it continues to work or not. My feeling is that these faults don't fix themselves, but we don't have any special events coming up for a while so the risk is less.

I intend to start backing up the rest of my tapes to hard disk (only 160GB NAS...might not be enough if I keep them all in DV!). All but the most recent is already on DVD.

Regardless, I want to be prepared in case I do need to get a new one (and even if the old Samsung does keep going I'd like to replace it later in the year as soon as money allows), so I have a few questions re the Canon HG10 and Sony SR5. Also, Empiredirect might raise their price on the HG10 any moment.

I've listed what I think are the pros and cons of each together with some questions:
Sony SR5
I don't trust the tech specs on sony.co.uk. It states there is a viewfinder when clearly there is not. So, I wonder how many other specs are wrong (this is very poor Sony!!)
pros: records in SD, doesn't it?
cons: no viewfinder, no video light
Does it really support 16:9?
I read a view (Amazon I think) that stated that it splits the audio and video into seperate files (once transfered?) is that right?
I am struggling to find expert reviews - can anyone help? (please don't send me a search from Google)

Canon HG10
pros: viewfinder, video light
cons: does not record in SD (or does it?). that's the only one (plus price if Empiredirect put their price up)
I read somewhere that said you can copy video from the HDD to the miniSD card - is that right? None of the reviews mention it.

One last thing, the only thing that is now troubling me re HDD is reliablity. Can it cope with a two week holiday in Spain (roads even bumpier than here in Kent etc.). What if I drop it? At least with tape the chances are the tape will still be playable even if the camera is screwed (I've been there). Flash - no moving parts though I am still concerned about reliability/data integrity (have lost two stills from a Memory Stick Pro Duo, though that was probably due to the cheaper than chips card reader).

Thanks in advance.

Sony SR5
I don't trust the tech specs on sony.co.uk. It states there is a viewfinder when clearly there is not. So, I wonder how many other specs are wrong (this is very poor Sony!!)

Not sure what you are looking at.. I see it says Viewfinder
NO

http://www.sony.co.uk/view/ShowProd...e=Main&category=HDD+AVCHD+Hard+Disk+Drive#tab

pros: records in SD, doesn't it?
yes
Does it really support 16:9?
Yes. High Def is native 16:9. The SR5 is 1440x1080 resolution (with non-square pixels), the HG10 is 1920x1080 with square pixels. This doesn't actually seem to make much/any difference; higher resolution is better in theory, but it also means more compression is needed.

I am struggling to find expert reviews - can anyone help? (please don't send me a search from Google)

Here is one
http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/camcorders/0,39029966,49293914,00.htm

Canon HG10
cons: does not record in SD (or does it?). that's the only one (plus price if Empiredirect put their price up)
I read somewhere that said you can copy video from the HDD to the miniSD card - is that right? None of the reviews mention it.

Correct, Canon doesn't record in SD. No, you can't copy video from the HDD to the miniSD card.

I suggest you look at the manuals to see detail.
Sony manuals here
http://www.sonydigital-link.com/DIME/camcorders/camcorders.aspx?l=en

Canon is trickier, as Canon UK doesn't put their manuals on the web. But the Australian models have the same spec and they do...
http://www.canon.com.au/support/manuals.aspx

Ianyone help? (please don't send me a search from Google)

Canon HG10
Never tried it TBH ( ill have a look in its manual )
The HG10 does not have a video light. Not comparing it to the SR5 it has a lot more Pros than that. It should be compared to the SR7
Good Build, Very good quality in daylight.:thumbsup: Quite acceptable quality in lower light. Controls and menu layout is pleasing.Menus are easy to navigate and Setting not hard to change. Its Zoom lever is a proper "rocker" although a proper ring is always better
It is very surprising when you put off auto slow shutter. very good with fast moving subjects. Its LCD is very clear . too
Comes with rather decent usable software:smashin:
Although it is an example of how good an AVCHD camcorder can be , you are right it doesnt record SD:thumbsdow
One last thing, the only thing that is now troubling me re HDD is reliablity. Can it cope with a two week holiday in Spain (roads even bumpier than here in Kent etc.). What if I drop it? At least with tape the chances are the tape will still be playable even if the camera is screwed (I've been there). Flash - no moving parts though I am still concerned about reliability/data integrity (have lost two stills from a Memory Stick Pro Duo, though that was probably due to the cheaper than chips card reader).
Although the camcorders have apparent decent shock proofing for thier HDDs ( and mechanisms to stop them rotating and damaging if you should you drop them) I really have no idea how robust these are. Even with a tape model it is ever so easy to snap off an important bit or crac scratch the lens so camcorders in genearal would prefer tno to be dropped. I dont think bumpy road matter
I share your concerns but I don't hear of too many HDD camcorders getting returned though

Canons Manual is on a PDF if you want I can email it

The one I linked to (Canon Australia) is a pdf, and it's the same manual (has the Canon UK address etc on it as well as Australia and others)...

The one I linked to (Canon Australia) is a pdf, and it's the same manual (has the Canon UK address etc on it as well as Australia and others)...
Yep didnt spot it:smashin:
You do have a knack for finding these things:D

Not sure what you are looking at.. I see it says Viewfinder
NO
:oops: ok let you off...I'm tired my eyes are fuzzy my 4yr old got me up long before dawn after the 1yr old had woken up at 2am :(

Thanks for the manuals and the review had a look on cnet a few days ago and then forgot the site even existed. There don't seem to be many reviews of the SR5 though do there?

The HG10 does not have a video light.
Are you sure? According to the specs it does:
http://www.canon.co.uk/for_home/product_finder/camcorders/high_definition_hd/hg10/index.asp?specs=1
"Built-in Video light=Yes". simplydv.co.uk's review has same. Perhaps your loan is a prototype/foreign model or something? I'll admit I haven't seen it in the flesh.

It should be compared to the SR7
I can't afford the SR7. So, I'm comparing on price (well, HG10 at Empiredirect's price).

The only reason I'm considering the SR5 is because I like the option of being able to shoot in SD if required, plus it's about 60 quid cheaper than the HG10 (I know that 60 quid is not a lot of money these days).

Cheers
Steve

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom