1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD or not to HD

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by ff2001, Jun 20, 2003.

1. ff2001

ff2001
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am about to purchase a panny plasma TV PW5 but have found a good deal on the HD version £3500 is it woth getting the HD version?

Would prefer the HD option but the connectivity could be an issue.

It only comes with the vga socket, but could I run my equipment through RGB-VGA converters and then a VGA switch to select source? Equipment would be

digital sky RGB-VGA

XBOX }
    PS2 }
    DVD }

Through amp

How do you get from component / svideo to VGA?

I currently own a sony str925 so do not NEED a new amp but would require svideo conversion. Could do with new amp for more optical sockets / multi room output anyway so maybe component output from the denon 3803

Would {XBOX / PS2} - VGA converter be a better bet?. Could run DVD through another RGB - VGA and not require an amp.

Thanks for any advice

Lee

----
    Sony 28" WS, SONY STR925, Imerge Soundserver, marantz rc5000, XBOX, GC, PS2, B&W CM4, CMC and DM601 speakers

2. JamesTapp

JamesTapp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Get an iScan Ultra. This has SVideo, Composite and Component inputs with a VGA output. Good prices at the moment because they are clearing the stock with the iScan logo. See www.ivojo.co.uk.

StooMonster will be along shortly to tell you the great benefits that you will gain from this neat piece of kit.
    :D

James

3. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    Hi Lee,

You should be able to fit a terminal board to the plasma which will give you component, s-video and composite. I think you can get them in BNC or RCA input socket flavours. You might need a component switcher if you need to input more than one component source. Sky into the VGA input (via a JS Tech converter) would be fine. Hope this helps.

Steve

4. JamesTapp

JamesTapp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Of course, the terminal board is an option, but you will always wonder if the deinterlacing of the iScan would have made a bigger difference to the quality of your display.

Why not get one on loan before getting the terminal board... you know you want to....:devil: