HD or not HD?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by chops1981, Feb 8, 2009.

1. chops1981

chops1981
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello. Here's my setup. Panasonic 42PX80. Sony PS3. Sky+ (not HD)

I'm looking for a AV Receiver cheap or second hand to eventually add a 3.1 or 5.1 speaker setup to. The problem i'm having is i am confused about this HD Audio stuff. I realise that my PS3 can decode HD Audio and send it to a receiver. I also realise that is upscales video on board. I currently have it HDMI'd to the plasma.

Here's my problem. I would like the setup to be as future proof as possible but don't need a receiver with onboard upscaling (PS3 does it already). I would like however one that can accept the HD Audio decoded on the PS3. What is it i am looking for in the technical specification of the Av Recievers that specifies it can accept and use the decoded HD Audio tracks. I didn't realise until recently that not all HDMI's transfer audio as well as video, however with the PS3 only having the HDMI to transfer HD Audio (is this correct??) am i out of options other than to go for a receiver with HDMI audio compatibility?? (am i making any sense???)

To keep my budet down i am looking at older amps and second hand ones, any suggestions would be great. Budget £150 -£200

Thank you.

2. Mark.Yudkin

Mark.Yudkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,542
    Correct - you need an A/V receiver that is able to extract audio over HDMI. You do not need the ability to extract and scale the video or the ability to accept and decode encoded HD audio as your PS3 already has this.

Since HDMI audio is recent, you will need to be lucky to find something second-hand with HDMI audio. However there are entry level models from Denon, Onyko, Sony and Yamaha with these features, so look for a good deal in your local shop.

3. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,094
    There is a Yammy RX V1700 on the classified which you might get for around £240 which is a very good quality amp which will do hd over hdmi.

New you won't be able to get a hdmi amp for less than about £220 and it won't be much cop at that level.

Buy used and get better value.