HD Only - at last!

logiciel

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
After a long battle to give up my unwanted and unused SD "Entertainment" channels Sky have finally given way, and I am now the proud payer of only (!) £10 a month for the HD Mix channels and £10 for use of the Sky+ facilities:clap::clap:
This victory over telephone staff and e-mail correspondents who were uninformed and insolent by turns was achieved by e-mails to "higher authorities" and was provided by a very agreeable - and here's glory for you! - Service Excellence Consultant.
It would be nice to know how many - and how much - SECs they have at Murdoch Mansion.
I'm also still intrigued as to why they refuse my generous offer to pay them up to another £26, for their Films and even for their Sports.:confused::confused:

After a long battle to give up my unwanted and unused SD "Entertainment" channels Sky have finally given way, and I am now the proud payer of only (!) £10 a month for the HD Mix channels and £10 for use of the Sky+ facilities:clap::clap:
This victory over telephone staff and e-mail correspondents who were uninformed and insolent by turns was achieved by e-mails to "higher authorities" and was provided by a very agreeable - and here's glory for you! - Service Excellence Consultant.
It would be nice to know how many - and how much - SECs they have at Murdoch Mansion.
I'm also still intrigued as to why they refuse my generous offer to pay them up to another £26, for their Films and even for their Sports.:confused::confused:

perhaps they think your such a pain that you would start giving them grief over the type of progs they transmit and that you would ask for rebates for the progs you dont watch.

So you are paying £20 a month for BBC HD (which only transmits part time) C4, which is again part time, in the fact that not everything is HD, and finally LUXE TV, which is about as useful as a chocolate teapot, oh and the ability to record these channels.

If this is so, then I am suprised SKY hadn't ripped your hands off the minuite you suggested it to them :devil:

So you are paying £20 a month for BBC HD (which only transmits part time) C4, which is again part time, in the fact that not everything is HD, and finally LUXE TV, which is about as useful as a chocolate teapot, oh and the ability to record these channels.

If this is so, then I am suprised SKY hadn't ripped your hands off the minuite you suggested it to them :devil:

No, AIUI, he's getting all the HD channels, (apart from Movies & Sports) and PVR Sky + functionallity for his £20 a month! :smashin:

ATB

Max

There is a saying that comes to mind - 'a fool and his money...':devil:

It's a new package called the 'Sky part time HD mix'!!

:cool:

Ah I see now. So that is everything apart from movies and sport, which to be honest, is the only reason i have HD

im confused h!
you could get all the hd channels from satellite why do you need sky?

So you are paying £20 per month for the pleasure of 11 HD channels, have I got that right :confused:

Gazza - You've got it exactly right, 11HD and all FTA SD, with Sky+ functionality, which I may drop - do you think that's bad value??

dreadline: As I said, HD Mix, not Freesat or SkyFreesat.
I've offered Sky the money to be like you, watching Films and Sports, but they won't take it unless I also pay them for channels that I don't want.

12promises: What's a "pain" for asking for something that many people have?

morilli: What about those "fools" who pay a lot more for a load of SD channels they never watch?
And who's more foolish: me for paying for what I want, or Sky for not taking up my offer to pay more for more of what I want?

chuckstones: You've fallen for an old trap - believing what Sky says: "HD channels depend on your package" - they don't, except Films and Sports.

bluesteel: As you may guess I DO get them from satellite as well, for my own dark reasons.

Anyone or everyone: What SD channels do you pay for and watch, that you couldn't manage without??

Last edited:
Along with all the FTA SD channels too?

You know the whole point of paying for it all, even if I don't always watch all of it, is that I have the choice to watch what I want when I want.

And I don't bellyache about what I pay for as it is my choice.

As it is your choice to pay for HD only channels and pay a good hefty sum for it, please do not make an issue out of it.

I didn't report this as a personal issue - the main purpose was to make clear what many people in other threads have not been clear about - that HD only IS an option, an option that SOME Sky staff don't know exists and that some insist does NOT exist.:D
I'm not complaining either, about the charge I'm now paying being too much - quite the reverse: I'd like to pay more but Sky won't let me.
Having "the choice to watch what I want when I want" is a concept that Sky choose to restrict, even when that is to their disadvantage.
Again, as this is the Sky HD thread, how much of their supposedly - but now found not actually - compulsory SD "Mixes" do HD subscribers use?

It is physcially impossible for the system Sky use to allow only sports and movies on a package without at least one mix package being taken. it's not that they don't want to, it's that they can't do what you ask.

I don't see the value in this £10 'package' to be perfectly honest, but hey, each to their own :)
I am now the proud payer of only (!) £10 a month for the HD Mix channels and £10 for use of the Sky+ facilities... I'm also still intrigued as to why they refuse my generous offer to pay them up to another £26, for their Films and even for their Sports.:confused::confused:
You're confused as to why they won't let you tailor-make your individual package? This is Sky we're talking about ;) Can't say I blame them right enough...
Having "the choice to watch what I want when I want" is a concept that Sky choose to restrict, even when that is to their disadvantage
Well, I'm pretty sure that the majority of users accept the choice they're given, and that's very much to Sky's advantage. If everyone had the chance to pick and choose then we'd no doubt lose a lot of the peripheral channels, Sky would lose revenue, our prices would go up... etc.
As you may guess I DO get them from satellite as well, for my own dark reasons
Right, now I really fail to see the point :D

Last edited:
Im glad you have got what you wanted out of Sky and respect you for sharing this information with the rest of us. :smashin:

However personally i think the package you are on is a bit of a waste. I certainly couldn't live with just those channels.

It should be noted that anyone downgrading to this package from say... Sky Movies Mix will lose the option to play any previously saved HD/SD movies on their hard drive

Skytech: Thanks for the view from inside Sky. "Physically impossible" and "can't do" need some explanation though. They've said there's a rule that Films and Sports need an Entertainment, that it is "mandatory"; and they wouldn't answer when I asked where that is in the Ts and Cs. If there is a rule it can't be physically impossible to change it.

Graham: There's been a lot of discussion in the forums about whether £10 is good value or not; the majority view has been that it is.
They make an advertising point about "choosing your package" to a certain extent, so as HD advances it seems reasonable enough to me to have the choice of a package with only HD channels.

WATTS, and anyone: How much of your viewing is of the SD channels? Also, isn't there enough SD on the many FTA SD channels?

It is physcially impossible for the system Sky use to allow only sports and movies on a package without at least one mix package being taken. it's not that they don't want to, it's that they can't do what you ask.

but he has at least one mix - the HD mix.

as to value, well its all relative. You could argue that in some of the mix categories - particularly entertainment and documentaries, you get pretty good value. eg skyone is a big reason many pay for the entertianment mix, but you get that in the HD mix. you get 3 documentary HD channels so could drop the documentary mixes.

TBH the only SD mixes we could live without would be kids for NickJR, and whatever mix has stupid UKTVFood on for my wife :p The rest are pretty well served by the HD mix.

let me get this straight

your already paying £20 a mth to sky, £10 for HD and £10 for the record facility

and you are willing to pay an extra £26 a mth for the movies and sports package

that would make a total of £46 a month

your only saving a tenner a mth for having every channel available

1 - 0 to sky i think

but he has at least one mix - the HD mix.

as to value, well its all relative. You could argue that in some of the mix categories - particularly entertainment and documentaries, you get pretty good value. eg skyone is a big reason many pay for the entertianment mix, but you get that in the HD mix. you get 3 documentary HD channels so could drop the documentary mixes.

TBH the only SD mixes we could live without would be kids for NickJR, and whatever mix has stupid UKTVFood on for my wife :p The rest are pretty well served by the HD mix.

The HD 'Mix' was renamed from the HD Subscription, it's not really a 'mix' selection at all as on the system it's an entirely separate sub to the channel subscriptions, just like a Sky+ subscription. Because of this it wouldn't be possible to use the HD mix as the basis for Sports and movies to be added on.

I'm guessing thats the situation, but I was merely pointing out that sky need to have slightly clearer rules. While that might be the technical situation, you try telling that to a customer when they point out the rules say you need at least one mix, and you tell them back that the HD mix isn't a mix.

I think they might get away with it because they may require an 'entertainment' mix, which is one of the main 6?

DADnLAD
I'd be glad to get it straight.
I was paying 27, now paying 20, saving 7, watching exactly same channels.
I might offer the current 26 for Sports and Films - total 46, compared to 53 if I had to pay for channels I don't want.
As Sports and Films are subs, and Sky+ comes free with subs it should really be 26 for them and 10 for HD - only 36.
Where's the 1-0 whitewash to Sky in any of those?

Skytech: Sky use all three terms for the HD channels, mix, package, and subscription, choosing the term in each case that gives them the advantage.

Richard: That ties in with what you say and ask, and they do need to be clearer. They DO say an Entertainment Mix is "mandatory" - but refuse to say where in the T&C that is specified.

Going back to square one, the main aim of this was to point out that in many emails and phone calls, mainly bad-tempered or insolent, Sky told me, and will no doubt tell anyone else who wants only HD, that they don't do it, that it is not possible. Then, when I told them, as I hope others will tell them, that many of their customers already DO have only HD, they gave it to me - and very pleasantly.

Last edited:
The HD 'Mix' was renamed from the HD Subscription, it's not really a 'mix' selection at all as on the system it's an entirely separate sub to the channel subscriptions, just like a Sky+ subscription. Because of this it wouldn't be possible to use the HD mix as the basis for Sports and movies to be added on.

If it IS a mix then surely it should not have to be paid for again if you have multiroom HD?

The fact that Sky charge a second £10 pm HD sub if you want an HD box on multiroom contradicts the argument that multiroom duplicates all your mixes.

Consequently, the renaming of the HD sub to the Hd mix which was Sky's decision as they did it recently throws this into contention.

Someone really should challenge Sky on this as the HD mix ought to be duplicated now that they have chosen to brand it thus.

The multiroom HD sub is hard to defend anyhow but this concept that HD is now a mix not a sub makes it even harder.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom