HD on E1 vs Sony SD DVD Comparison

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by ShortNick, Apr 26, 2007.

1. ShortNick

ShortNick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    For anyone who is wondering if there is a big difference between HD and SD, I played 'Mummy Returns' on both of the above systems last night at 1080i on a Sanyo Z4 on 7' screen and the difference is startling.:thumbsup: Clean, crisp and full of detail on HD, picture on SD Sony lacking detail and a little blurred on motion, and nowhere near as good as the Tosh. Tried 'Revenge of the Sith' on E1, upscaled from normal SD DVD and there is also a massive difference in quality over SD from a normal player. Not a scientific test by any means, but it passed the 'what did we need a new DVD player for?' girlfriend test, which I am sure you will agree is v. important:smashin:

2. TrevorS

TrevorS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    My solution is to play upscaled SD (bought discount or used) for Blu-Ray exclusives. The picture may not match HD, but it's a lot cheaper than adding a BR player and still looks pretty decent :).

3. lgans316

lgans316
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,788
    A Peculiar reason.
    80% of the exclusives are SD and except for music videos I am not sure if the outtakes etc would have a reasonable PQ. I think E1 would be a good choice as you get more features / value.

4. TrevorS

TrevorS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    You appear to be interpreting the word "exclusives" as being extra content on a disc (content in addition to the film itself). My usage is to differentiate film titles that are "exclusive" to BR (from studios that have elected not to release on HD DVD).

I agree, the E1 makes lots of sense -- a very effective upscaler in addition to its HD DVD playback capability.