• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

HD on 32" TV

thelawnet

Standard Member
I have a Samsung LE32R41BDX 32" LCD(standard, 1366x768, 720p/1080i), and was wondering, if I get V+, can you see the difference with the HD and SD?

Or is my TV too small?

I am sitting about 7' from my TV.

CapricaMan

Established Member
Yes, you'll get that wow factor.

james_uk9

Established Member
Plus you get a 3 tuner PVR. It's a no brainer really, after an hour or 2 playing with the features you will wonder why you didn't do it sooner.

E

eelvis

dont beleive the hd hype on a 32" you will only see the difference from a few feet away. Hd is all hype.

Nivek TT

Distinguished Member
I stand firmly on the "HD is good!" side of the playing field!

I can't believe that anyone with healthy vision who has experiended a good HD feed is not blown away!

IMO, you will see a huge improvement over composite/RGB connected SD when viewing Component/HDMI connected HD on you 32" panel! :smashin:

mouseymousey

Established Member
The SD picture on my 32" LCD from the V+ box is great. The HD stuff can be a bit hit and miss, some of it you can tell a difference, some of it you can't.

I wouldn't say any of the HD I've seen had a "wow factor" though.

Just to clarify though, I think this is mainly because the SD picture through the V+ box is so good.

Nivek TT

Distinguished Member
Hence I stressed the...

"huge improvement over composite/RGB connected SD when viewing Component/HDMI connected HD"

The V+ is offering a rather good upscaled SD image. Comparing SD and HD on only the V+ probably isn't a fair comparrison since the SD is getting some HDish treatment to it!

Some HD programmes can disapoint, especially re-mastered old stuff. But some still blows me away - most recently the Top Gear Polar Special!

And the England vs Germany game on BBC HD looked lovelly! :smashin:

thelawnet

Standard Member
The SD picture on my 32" LCD from the V+ box is great. The HD stuff can be a bit hit and miss, some of it you can tell a difference, some of it you can't.

Couldn't tell the difference when comparing SD and HD Sky Digital on the cricket at a friend's house (32" screen, ten feet away, somewhat imperfect vision). Better sound though I guess.

ph7

Established Member
I have the same TV and believe me there is a noticable difference.

But the big plus is how good the SD does look compared to the Sky unit, the upscaling is very good

Yes it is true that if you are sitting more than 18 feet away you wont see the difference as much, but if you sit that far away you need a bigger telly!:rolleyes:

dmx005

Established Member
I have a philips 32" lcd and like others mention, some of the HD content is average and not necessarily any noticable improvement over SD but then again some of the HD content is superb & you would need to be blind not to notice the difference, even on a 32"er.

SD picture also improved quite substantially for me when I got the v+ stb. good luck! :thumbsup:

Nanor

Established Member
I must say I (and the missus) have noticed a huge difference. Some the HD stuff we've watched was simply superb (the top gear polar special). We've noticed a distinct jump in PQ. Even SD looks better (on most channels) when upscaled.

We do have a rather small lounge so i opted for a 32" set as i felt a larger set would have been overwhelming. Got to bear your viewing distance in mind with any set up. I've not watched many films through the V box (how many HD ones are there...) but the quality of the images on our 360 and on HD DVD is fantastic and everyone who has seen it has commented on it and already three of my mates have taken the HD plunge.

xeb

Standard Member
My 2 pence worth is that HD is slighly better than sd when watching films and normal programmes. ( sd through hdmi that is )

Sport however is amazing, WOW factor yes!:smashin:

zico martin

Established Member
watching wimbledon on HD was the first thing that gave me that as hence I watched more of it this year than in the last ten years! No idea what the scores were mind but the matches look great!

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom