HD - My Verdict - HORRIBLE!

S

stumpywalnut

Have given it 2 weeks to make sure my initial reaction wasn't an overreaction - now I know I REALLY dont like it.

Not the HD programmes - they're very nice - all 4 of them that Ive watched.
Films look sharp, Football IS fantastic, BBC Demos look nice and Sky1 HD is an improvement.

I dont watch programmes BECAUSE they are HD, I watch a programme I want to watch and enjoy the fact that it looks that much better than I am used to.
The HD channels are so few and when you consider how many programmes on these few channels I am actually interested in - I dont get to watch much HD at all.
- This I could deal with.

What I am REALLY, REALLY disappointed with is how bad the SD channels look in comparison to the Sky+ that Ive just taken out and moved upstairs.
- these make up probably 90% of my viewing.

I have a PW7 which was run through QED component cables via a JS Tech box into the VGA input - and I was very happy with the pictures thank you very much.
Now I run component from the HD box into the panel (via a QED component cable) and its a good deal worse than I had before.

Last night I connected both the component and VGA inputs to see if I prefered to watch SD programms via the VGA input as I had previously - nope, thats horrible too.

My conclusion - the HD box is set up for exactly that - showing HD pictures, and while there are still SD channels they will look WORSE than your old analogue box.

My eyes, my opinion.

analogue box.

My eyes, my opinion.

Maybe your connections too?

SD channels received via the Sky HD box are greatly improved here via HDMI and at 1080i.

ATB

Max

Blimey, sorry to hear that mate.

I can't say I've found the same, but then again I went the whole hog and bought an LCD tv and HD box the same (ish) time, and I'm still in that fuzzy warm glow stage, where SD is miles better on a better TV and HD??? Well roast my crunchy parsnips..............

Are you sure that you're not having a HD come-down? I get a little bit, when I choose to watch something in SD. I always end up thinking "Cor, I wish this was in HD"

I find that the PQ via HDMI is improved slightly on SD channels - but then I was using RGB scart on my original Pace 3100 Sky+

Maybe down to you connections?

Its not a connectivity thing.
As I said, I had both connections - component and via the JS box running at the same time - both were poop.

As for buying a new TV to go with the box - thing is you WILL enjoy it more as the screen is 'better' (/different) so you cant compare to what was there before.

Id just assume SKY are using less bandwidth to broadcast the SD channels - maybe cos its taken up by the HD ones, maybe (if I was into conspiracy theories) so the HD looks even better in comparison.....

Are you sure that you're not having a HD come-down? I get a little bit, when I choose to watch something in SD. I always end up thinking "Cor, I wish this was in HD"

That is definately the real problem with SKY HD!!

You watch all that dandy chocolate box HD glory, then when going back to the fog that is SD - you feel like bloody well switching it off!

Id just assume SKY are using less bandwidth to broadcast the SD channels - maybe cos its taken up by the HD ones, maybe (if I was into conspiracy theories) so the HD looks even better in comparison.....

:) I may even believe that of Sky, if it wasn't for the fact that they are broadcasting off of so many transponders - and hi def is only on for what seems like 1/2 hour a day!! :D

Early days I guess ....

Perhaps anyone who is paying to watch only 4 HD programmes in two weeks should reconsider the costs involved:)

That aside are the SD channels still poor when the box is set to AUTO and if they are then use the RGB scart instead, should be pretty much identical to the old picture then.
SKY only control their own channels so can't cripple other broadcasters and well with 8million SD subscribers and 100,000 HD subscribers does anyone think that SKY think their SD subscribers will spend an extra £400+ or just cancel and go to Freeview/Cable/Freesat:)

Its not a connectivity thing.
As I said, I had both connections - component and via the JS box running at the same time - both were poop.

As for buying a new TV to go with the box - thing is you WILL enjoy it more as the screen is 'better' (/different) so you cant compare to what was there before.

I have found the SKY SD programmes to look great on my display - compared to my older pace Sky+ box
Two pints on beeb3 and Starship troopers the other night looked mighty fine. On the old pace box, it all looked a bif undefined, with expanses of undetailed colour.

Agree with you on the HD content though - not many programmes worth watching yet - hope Xmas TV makes up for it. Sick of learning stuff from History channel just because it's HD and hardly anything else is.

SKY only control their own channels so can't cripple other broadcasters.

I think some broadcasters do a good enough job of that without any input from Sky ... :)

Its not about comparing HD to SD.
Box is set to auto - I apprecaite that things will look different.

Im no scientist/boffin but I work for a video company and spend all day 'looking' at things, its my job to get the best quality from whatever the source material I am given.
I know what 'bad connections' will do to a picture, I also know when something is softer and noisier than something else:)

This is purely a comparison of picture quality between 2 different sources.
1 IS worse than the other (in SD obv).

Im not saying this will be the case for everyone, just that in my case with the analogue box SD channels looked sharper than they do now, with less noise, pixelation and blocking.

Im not saying this will be the case for everyone, just that in my case with the analogue box SD channels looked sharper than they do now, with less noise, pixelation and blocking.

Ah, thought we were talking about comparing SKY Digital to SKY HD, analogue being uncompressed does tend to look good albeit in a 4:3 way:)

apologies - I was talking about my old SKY+ box compared to the new HD one.

Perhaps it's the de-interlacing of the STB that is causing the problem when set to AUTO. Did you use RGB scart to VGA convertor on the previous SKY+ or something else to get the 576i into the PW7?

SKY+ = Scart (QED) to JS Tech Box, VGA (Van Damme) to VGA input on panel.

HD = Component (QED) to Component input on panel.
HD box set to Auto.

Im not saying Sky+ was fantastic, Im just saying that in comparison SD channels were sharper and less noisy.
The HD gives 'ok' SD pics, and I dare say if I hadnt had the previous set up Id be happy.
But I did and Im not.

Im not saying Sky+ was fantastic, Im just saying that in comparison SD channels were sharper and less noisy.
The HD gives 'ok' SD pics, and I dare say if I hadnt had the previous set up Id be happy.
But I did and Im not.

No issue then, comparing the two boxes using the same type of output and the old box was better for 90% of your viewing does make your decision pretty understandable.
It's also perfectly reasonable for the HD box to have slightly different internal components which affect the RGB out, many people say they see a difference when swapping digiboxes or upgrading to standard SKY+.

It's a shame HD coverage isn't wide enough to compensate for your viewing but I hopes that in time it will be so cancelling and getting your money back is for you the bet thing to do. Later this year perhaps next year the situation may be different and it could be worth looking into to again:)

Despite what I do for a living, Im not 'anal' about watching the goggle box at home.
If it was a bit worse Id put it down to a different cable or summat, enjoy the occasional HD film and call it evens.

But the pictures are so soft at times they are almost blurred.
I realise some channels are worse than others, but when its BBC3 thats looking so soft that Mrs S comments - then I know its not just me.

I've read quite a few posts that component output on the Sky HD box is pants, haven't tried it myself yet though. SD over HDMI to the panel is very, very good for me on channels that have a decent amount of bandwith. Much better than my old Pace Sky+ with a QED RGB to Comp convertor

SD channels received via the Sky HD box are greatly improved here via HDMI and at 1080i.

I'll second that

I was so mightly impressed with the improvement in SD quality that I wouldn't dream of going back to a none HD box now.
Some of the high bit rate SD channels look amazing

My Panny PV500 plasma has freeview built in and a dedicated aerial feed. SKY HD box is set to auto and both my wife and I reckon the SKY HD box output is noticebly sharper and colours more focused. Using HDMI connection.

I dont doubt that over HDMI there is no issue.

But, as said originally, in MY case SD channels are FAR worse.
As its an older panel I dont have the HDMI option.
- However, some claim that HD can look better (via component) on these panels than newer ones.
Its just the crap SD (that makes up 90% of what I watch) more than outweighs the benefit of having the occasional enjoyment of a good HD prog.

I never said everyone would find this, its just MY experience.

I have found the SKY SD programmes to look great on my display - compared to my older pace Sky+ box
Two pints on beeb3 and Starship troopers the other night looked mighty fine. On the old pace box, it all looked a bif undefined, with expanses of undetailed colour.

Urgh, that master of Starship Troopers the other night was horrible, much below Five's usual standard. It was 4:3, washed out and looked like it had been duped via 1" tape.

haha - 1" is ok - as long as its a first generation!!
Its the dubs, of dubs, of dubs.....that they 'used' to broadcast from thats the problem....

I must say that SD is better on the plasma connected to the HD box in the living room, as are the other TV's. But when watching an HD channel, the picture on the plasma in the kitchen is terrible, as are the other TV's in the house.

haha - 1" is ok - as long as its a first generation!!
Its the dubs, of dubs, of dubs.....that they 'used' to broadcast from thats the problem....

it definitely had a "I have been composite video at some point" look about it...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom