• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

HD monitors? What am I looking for?

T

The Pundit

Hey guys, I'm new here. Someone recommended this place for me as I was having trouble finding a decent monitor, and they said you guys were very helpful.

Well, I've been planning on buying one for ages, and only now have I realized how close Christmas is. I thought I'd buy one and get my parents to give it to me for Christmas, but me, nor my dad know exactly what we're looking for.

Well, I know that I'm looking for a 19' monitor, that I'll be able to use for HD gaming on my 360, but what stats should I be looking for? Could anyone tell me what I needs to be good in a monitor, and maybe give me a few suggestions? Help would be really appreciated, as I would love one for Christmas. Thanks.

BYF

Your want one thats widescreen and that doesn't blur during fast action and fast camera pans.

whether there is an LCD monitor that can do that i don't know, as im looking at them myself now for the 360 as all LCD TV's ive tried blur.

is there one? if so what models should i be looking at that have flawless motion?

don't always go by response times as there often worked out differently.

this is what im really after

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-GDM-FW900-Widescreen-Trinitron-Monitor/dp/B00004YNSR

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
I assume you're looking for an LCD?
If so, you'd do better to post in the LCD section.
All I know is, the lower the response time, the better.
A fast response means less motion blur.
No doubt the experts will put you right.
Welcome, BTW :smashin:

Indiana Jones

Distinguished Member
S

SquintingBadger

I think the best way is just to try it and see if you have problems with the blurring. Some people don't, some do. Be careful though, as some games add motion blur so it's probably best not to go looking for blur, but wether or not it looks good.
I can spot the blur on mine only on Oblivion and GT4. Everything else is fine, as far as I can remember. I'd prefer if it didn't, but the overall quality and size of the picture outweigh this.

S

SquintingBadger

I assume you're looking for an LCD?
If so, you'd do better to post in the LCD section.
All I know is, the lower the response time, the better.
A fast response means less motion blur.
No doubt the experts will put you right.
Welcome, BTW :smashin:

Yeah, this isn't quite right. As mentioned earlier, different manufacturers measure response time in different ways, and you can do picture processing (e.g. 100hz) that will reduce percieved blur further.

stewartbradford

If its just a monitor you want (dont need the TV tuner), try and find a Samsung 940BW, I picked it up from eBuyer.com a few months back for £165 and it's great value for money, VGA and DVI so you can plug the 360 into the VGA and still run your PC through it and a quick button press on the front of the monitor flicks between the two.

istanbul05

The Acer 19" WS W1916 or something monitor gets a lot of positive feedback, available from amazon amongst other places.

Yes i have the Acer AL1916W and i can highly recommend it. Great value for money. Only slight problem is that there is only one input, but that doesn't matter if your only planning on running your 360 on it and not your PC. If you are going to run your PC with it, all you need is a VGA box. :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom