Question HD LEd Tv for £350

delboy2028

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi guys I need some help, I am looking for an LG tv for under £400 I would like it over 40" and the main use will be for my xbox one.

I have found 2 but I am confused as to which ones are going to be best and am seeking advise please..

LG 42LF580V 42" Smart Full HD LED TV

LG 43LF540V0 43" Full HD LED TV

I am on a buget so I know I wont get the best but the best for my money would be good. LG does not have to be specific.

Panasonic TX-48C300B

and

Philips 50PFH4319/88 50 Inch Full HD LED TV.

Last edited:
The 540 looks a bit of a mare to find, and its only got 2 HDMI's. The 580 is a very decent set, but since the 625 is a slightly better panel (not 3D, unlike last years, but the blacks were better than the 5 last year) and slightly cheaper, that what I'd go for.

You might still get last years 5/6 series LG on clearance, and last years Samsung H5500 as well - around £300 if there are any left, or the Sony W7. Best value for around £400 at the moment is certainly the Samsung 40H6400 - for £429 your getting a mid range panel and an extra HDMI - but its last years, so grab it now. In a 46-50, your going to be on short rations - but see what clearance on the same models above gets you.

And the C300 is not what I'm recommending to customers. Turkish.

Sonys are good for gaming but possibly cost more. You could check the Sony outlet or richer sounds clearance

Personally, having had nearly every TV under the sun in the last 2 years, LG would be bottom of my list due to poor contrast and blacks. One thing that really bugs me is not having properly black letterbox bars when watching movies! But each to their own!

I would look at the Samsung J5100, Sony R453 and Sony R553. As Old Bones suggests, the H6400 would be great but £429 a bit over budget. It's 120Hz so you get virtually no blur. If your budget can stretch then this would be an excellent choice.

Buy SONY BRAVIA KDL40R553CBU Smart 40" LED TV | Free Delivery | Currys

I wouldn't normally recommend buying from Currys but I can't find this model anywhere else and the price is right IMO.

Vickster's suggestion of checking Sony Outlet website is good. They had a 42" W705B on there this morning for £299...but it's sold. They re-stock a couple of times a week mainly on Thursday morning (I think) so you have to be both patient and vigilant as they sell very, very quickly.

https://outlet.sony.co.uk/shop/Televisions/102-123-cm/

John Lewis are also getting rid of old stock. They had some good deals on their website very recently but they have sold. However, I would check tomorrow morning to see if they have updated their page with new offers. Scroll to the bottom of this page to get an idea of what has been available;

http://www.johnlewis.com/browse/electricals/televisions/all-tvs/size=39-to-46/_/N-6srfZ1z0oizs

I didn't know there was a Sony Outlet, so thats going in the bookmarks!

The last of the old warehouse stock is/has gone on the website, but dont forget that stuff can still be in stores. A chap tonight was looking at the Panasonic 520 in a 40in. I said that it probably wasn't the first thing I'd recommend, and the Samsung 6400 would a great buy, although a little more expensive. He agreed that picture was better (more on that in a mo), but at £429 it was a little more than the £400 limit he'd set himself. I offered to have a look in the back, to see what had been marked down (there isn't room for everything on the shop floor). Came back with a 40H6400 for £379 (same price as the Pannie). He took it. So there are deals that can be found - just ask when you come in.

I was testing the 5100 next to the 6400 to show the difference in refresh rate tonight, and the 5100/5500 did not come off well. there was a lot of blur. Remember as well that the 5100 is not smart and only has 2 HDMI's (the more the better), but its the refesh that could be better. The Sony from Currys is bascially last years W7, but in a cheaper case (we had the 48in). The R4 series are basic...

As for LG, it depends. If you bought the 575 series last year, then the Samsung 5500's blacks were certainly better, but the refresh on the LG was much better than the Samsung. The 6 series LG had much better blacks, annd a very decent refesh for a 100hz screen. Better blacks tend to mean a bigger price, I'm afraid.

Only just noticed a philips in the list. Havn't seen a Philips in store for two years, apart from a dot.com return - and it was pretty rubbish for the price.

Best thing to do is to go into a store and see what there, and ask about markdowns. You've got a decent list of whats out there, and the price you should be paying for what spec. Armed with that, you can see if your getting a better deal by buying a markdown. If you can get a really good TV for less than £400 (and I'm sure you can), at least you'll know what your getting.

Old Bones - Do the lower end 50Hz 'R' Sony's have less blur than the Samsung 5 series?

No is the answer - I was comparing a 32in R4 and a 32 Samsung 5100, and I certainly thought the Samsung looked better. The W7 was slightly better, at least the customer thought so.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom