HD Lead

Michaelknell

Ex Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any info on the component/composite HD AV lead with SCART adapter (this will connect to composite, component HD and non-RGB scart and this WILL feature an optical out for 5.1 sound). I would like to know about the connections at each end. Any pics would be very helpful.
Also, how good is it compared to a HD - DVI cable?

Hi Michael - there was a similar question to this earlier today - follow me! - while it's about the VGA cable, the priciple is the same. Also there is an FAQ which should answer most related questions. There will be some pictures added to this shortly, so keep checking back!

Cheers, I did check the FAQ but I was unsure as to wether I'd need any sort of adapter. I'm assuming from what I read that the part that is connected to the 360 will be a HD thingy, and the bit connected to the TV will be the red, white and yellow cables? If this is the case then it would be OK as I could connect the sound cables to my external source. Do I have this right?

This is the cable you get with the Xbox 360:

componentcompositelead6to.jpg

componentcable1gf.jpg

The end that plugs into the 360 has an optical out. The other end has 6x RCA connectors: 1 for composite, 2x for stereo audio and 3x for a component HD signal. The lead with the core system is similar, except that you don't get the optical out at all, and the 3x component connections are missing. Hope this helps! :thumbsup:

OK, so whatever happens I plug one end into the xbox obviously, but with my HDTV (no HDMI just DVI) I'm assuming I'll only need the three HD leads plugged in. However, I have taken my speakers off my TV as I have a 5.1 surround sound system. Will this mean I will need three HD cables plugged in to my TV as well as the two sound cables plugged into my system? If this is right what can I do with the spare composite lead? Will it be removeable or will it just lie loose?
Thanks for the help.

anyone know how long the cable will be? Does it look the same length as standard Xbox AV cables?

I may buy a HD TV before then, and want to prewire it. Seems like I'd need a set of male-female phonos, then plug the xbox in. Does anywhere do such a thing?

Michaelknell said:
OK, so whatever happens I plug one end into the xbox obviously, but with my HDTV (no HDMI just DVI) I'm assuming I'll only need the three HD leads plugged in. However, I have taken my speakers off my TV as I have a 5.1 surround sound system. Will this mean I will need three HD cables plugged in to my TV as well as the two sound cables plugged into my system? If this is right what can I do with the spare composite lead? Will it be removeable or will it just lie loose?
Thanks for the help.

If you have a surround sound system at home then you should buy a digital optical cable and connect one end to the 360 HD cable ( there is a connection on the cable at the end you plug into the 360 ) and the other end to a digital optical input on your surround sound amp. This would be better then using the red and white stereo audio leads as they will only give you stereo sound. You would then leave the red and white audio leads and the yellow composite video lead loose. The red, blue and green leads would go into your TV's component connections for the HD picture.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom