HD Lcd vs excellent crt?

rupbert

Novice Member
Hi guys,

I have a Panasonic 32ZP48, regarded as one of the best crts on these very forums.

Yesterday I got hold of the official MS vga cable, and decided to hook the 360 up to my computers tft. The tft is an LG L1710B, again regarded as a very good lcd monitor.

My question does not concern the diffference in resolution (which looks excellent), but more the performance of colour rendering and black levels.

Despite changing the custom setup several times, the image still appeared washed out, the darkest blacks appearing grey.

I know any decent crt at the moment will have a better contrast ratio, however I am concerned that even on a very good HDTV (the Samsung LE range for example), that the performance will be similar to my LG tft, thus dissapointing.

Are my concerns valid?

Thanks.

chedmaster

Novice Member
Yes they are. I have a similar Toshiba Prog Scan CRT and running at 480p is breathtaking. Obviously HD LCDs will resolve more detail, but everywhere else the CRT wins hands down for me. It is unfair when people compare their JVC CRTs and their Sonys because these have half the resolution of a Prog Scan CRT (e.g. select Tosh or Panasonic ones).

My suggestion is either CRT or plasma if blacks and colour reproduction are more important than pixels to you.

However, I do think a Samsung LE is much better contrast wise than a PC monitor, so don't base comparisons solely on that. Still, LCDs lag behind plasma and CRT blacks.

*puts on flamesuit* as thousands of angry LCD pixel whores attack me with numbers :D

EDIT: I assume you mean Toshiba 32ZP48? Not Panasonic?

broona

chedmaster said:
It is unfair when people compare their JVC CRTs and their Sonys because these have half the resolution of a Prog Scan CRT (e.g. select Tosh or Panasonic ones).

Except for my JVC HV36P38? Xbox 360 over component at 1080i looks lovely on a CRT! :smashin:

Northerner76

Novice Member
I have the Tosh 37WLT58 HD LCD TV and have no concerns over colour reproduction - I use component (720p) - I have also tried the VGA connection to my TV and although the picture at first lacked the vibrancy and colour fidelity of the component connector, a few tweaks to the TV's VGA settings and it was almost up there with the component connection.
In summary if vibrant and faithful colour reproduction is your worry with an LCD TV - then using component (and assuming a decent TV) you should have no concerns.
I would say that Xbox 360 at 720p on a decent 37 inch LCD will beat a CRT hands down (just my opinion of course)

rupbert said:
I know any decent crt at the moment will have a better contrast ratio, however I am concerned that even on a very good HDTV (the Samsung LE range for example), that the performance will be similar to my LG tft, thus dissapointing.

Are my concerns valid?

Thanks.

SeeNoWeevil

Do a search on VGA cable and washed out colours.

Also tft monitors are generally very poor, my Dell tft is junk compared to my Samsung HD LCD.

boyimace

I upgraded from a Tosh 36ZP48 to a LCD and to be honest I probably didn't need to as the pic quality from the Tosh was excellent, if I had the patience I probably would have waited a bit longer to upgrade.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Large Screen HDR TV or Projector For Home Cinema + Best of the Month
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom