1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD-LCD or Plasma??????

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by edggie, Sep 5, 2005.

1. edggie

edggie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi every one i've got real problems here! :confused: Im obsessed with getting a playstation 3 next year and love Dvds so have now started looking at HD televisions. I would like a 42" screen but only want to spend about £1500 and cannot decide on plasma or LCD.
    1. Which is more hard wearing ie. burning etc???
    2. What is a contrast ratio and how does it fit in with resolution?
    3. whats better 720progressive or 1080interlaced?
    4. Is HDMI important and why?
    Can you recommend a good set in this price range for use on ps3 and dvd/blueray???
    :lease:
    P.S. is a projector any sort of sollution???

2. SAH

SAH
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    I'm in the same position.

I'll be buying an Xbox 360 and PS3 so I'm looking for an HDTV set.

I'm sure there'll be many more newbies in a similar position in the coming months!

Would a SKY HD box be the best way to go if you were looking for a HD set-up in time for this Christmas, or would I be better off waiting until 2006?

3. Lionheart

Lionheart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi edggie and SAH....I will try and tackle each point at a time

When it comes to screen burn (or more commonly screen retention which is a temporary problem which can be overcome by running a full moving screen for a while) Plasma TVs are much tougher than they used to be (alot of screen retention problems can be overcome by running a Plasma in properly, for about 200hrs, see the Plasma forum for info), however LCD's dont suffer from either screen burn or retention (at least not to the best of my knowledge) and so LCD win on that point. However u get less screen for your money with LCD so the choice is yours.

2. Contrast ratio is the difference between the brightest whites and deepest blacks....however there is no industry standard to measure this so be careful of cheap makes claiming better ratios than say Pioneer or Panasonic...it just isnt going to happen

To your ps I cant comment as Ive never used any kind of projector

3. There are people on the forums who can explain this much better than I so I will leave u to do a search for info on this point..or maybe someone will jump in and explain it. :)

4. HDMI or High Definition Multimedia Interface is an all digital connection so there is no conversion to analogue between source and TV and so no loss of picture quality, plus the added bonus that it can carry full discrete surround sound to a suitable amp as well as normal stereo to your TV

Of course it is up to you to decide which is the best for gaming...I have the Panasonic 42pv500 and it looks gorgeous with games...also I hear one of the best LCD,s is Panasonics TX32LXD500 although maybe a bit over the price range u want (sounds like im a salesman for Panasonic lol) and if u r a really hard core gamer then maybe an LCD has the edge on screen retention, although I believe the response rates can be slow although this is improving...but do some searches of these forums and I bet u can find all the info u want...hope this helps a little...all the best with your new TV

4. SAH

SAH
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Would it be possible to hook up a PC to a HD set, just for gaming?

5. Lionheart

Lionheart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes...all that info is on the forums..ive not done it with my set as yet but all the connections to do this are in place on my Panasonic SAH :)

6. edggie

edggie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I see what you are saying about contrast ratio but whats better say: 800:1 or 10000:1 on a 42" screen? Also had a look in the shops and cant seem to find and 1080I only 720p whats the diference picture quality wise??

7. Geoxis

Geoxis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I just bought the Samsung PS-42S5HX which ticks all my boxes and cost less than £1500 delivered the next day, it is HD ready it has a HDMI input and apparently it looks really good with games. But I think you should go to your nearest Curry store and take a look a the image... and compare it with other displays.

I can assure you that it becomes clear on what you want to buy....

8. Howard Pitfield

Howard Pitfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
  9. SAH

SAH
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Thanks for the replies.

I think I'll hold out until Christmas and see what happens.

Exciting times ahead. :)

10. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    I've seen screen-burn extensively in plasmas - and it is an issue. However, as you say, things have improved and with care it can be avoided or minimised.

However I HAVE seen LCDs suffer from screen-burn as well. Haven't seen it on LCD TVs, but I have seen laptops and desktop LCD monitors with burned in Windows screen furniture (internet explorer logo top right, start button bottom left etc.) Not common - but I have seen it.

Another thing to watch out for on LCD displays is backlight quality. I've seen some screens where the backlights begin to fail and become less uniform.

11. Lionheart

Lionheart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Steve...thanx for the info on LCD...I did a little research and apparently there is a kind of "screen burn" in the LCD system called video memory which can cause a permenant image on LCD as you have seen. Apparently it is pretty rare (no doubt like plasma's such problems are being overcome) but it is an entirely different thing as of course plasma and CRT tvs are based on phosphors which are involved in screen retention whereas LCD is not

12. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Indeed - I had always assumed it was caused either by the liquid crystals not "twisting" enough, or by the TFT transistor somehow beginning to fail partially.

13. Lionheart

Lionheart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep....interesting subject...needs a forum all its own lol