HD Is the picture really any better?

never-right

Novice Member
Hi

Its been a while since I worked in the TV trade, so perhaps other have more experience than me.
HD-High Deffinition, it is obviously meant to give a better picture.
When I worked in the trade HD was just talked about, but I am under the impression that on a small CRT (less than 28") you cannot see any difference in picture quality.

Is this correct?

To me most CRT TVs, the picture looks perfect, so how can it be improved?
The large screens that are now sold may benefit from HD, but then again most LCD and plasma do not have the picture quality of a good CRT.

And do you have to pay extra for HD, from Sky or Freeview?

N :devil:

onkeh

Novice Member
Completely pointless to quote screen sizes unless stating viewing distance. The reason you can tell the difference between 640x480 and 1280x960 on a 17" monitor is because you're sitting a couple of feet from it.

Exactly the same with TVs, no sense whatsoever in getting HD on a 32" screen if you're going to be sitting 12 feet away.

never-right

Novice Member
People seem to think that you get a better picture on all sizes of TV, or are they just buying because of fashion or through ignorance.

Anyone want to inform the public?

N

onkeh

Novice Member
People seem to think that you get a better picture on all sizes of TV, or are they just buying because of fashion or through ignorance.

Anyone want to inform the public?

N
The picture will be better, but whether you're sitting close enough to see it is another matter.

never-right

Novice Member
Thanks for your replies, but no-one else seems to want to comment.
I am a little sceptical, I assume that the bigger the picture the more effect you will see, so when you get a smaller picture - at some point there will be no difference.

N

Ian J

Banned
The CRT forum isn't as busy as it once was which is hardly a surprise on what is supposedly a technology forum.

My guess is that the picture on my previous 32" JVC TV was a similar quality to my current HD picture but I am now on a 50" screen which is much more engrossing than the comparatively smaller CRT that I had

Home Theater Me

Standard Member
The difference between SD and HD is night and day IMHO. I have a Mitsubishi 32" CRT - sitting 8ft away I can see the horizontal lines of pixels. Same distance from my 7ft wide HD front projection screen and I see no visible pixels. SD was OK for 27" or less TVs - HD is way better for 32" and up TVs. Of course any TV can only look as good as the signal it is fed.

onkeh

Novice Member
I am a little sceptical, I assume that the bigger the picture the more effect you will see, so when you get a smaller picture - at some point there will be no difference.

N
I don't really know what you want us to say, "better" is a totally subjective term. Go to a friend's house/TV shop and ask them to run a few demos and then you can judge for yourself.

In any rate, the vast majority here own HDTVs so they're hardly objective.

Last edited:

never-right

Novice Member
Old CRT TVs seem to be disappearing from the shops, but I would assume that both newHD and nonHD are still on offer.
HTM seems to say 32" and upwards for HD, Hawklord is uncommital, and Ian J does say HD is no better on a 32" JVC.

N

Alkali

Novice Member
Well, this is a question I have a lot of interest in actually. I've been using my 28" Sony CRT for a year or so now with Blu-Ray movies. This has been the case because basically I havnt been able to afford the 40" HDTV I want, but I'm comfortable in the knowledge I am getting a fair deal watching Blu-Ray on my CRT. I can almost hear you screaming "whhhhhy????", so I'll explain.

Its obvious a normal 28" CRT cannot accept anything higher than 576i (ignoring PAL/NTSC complications for simplicity). I'm not contending that the image provided by my Blu-Ray discs is going to be any different whatsoever to a well-encoded DVD. In fact, I have tested multiple Blu-Rays directly alongside the DVD of the same film, on the same frames, using my CRT. With new films, or well-encoded DVD's, there is some difference in colour reproduction as my DVD player seems to have slightly less saturation of colour than the PS3, but otherwise the picture is identical at normal viewing distance with paused images. So, the question remains, why am I using Blu-Rays?

Studios are realising that their old DVD masters of movies are not good enough to be used on Blu (in terms of a HD picture), so lots of them are producing brand new masters from the original film stock, plus doing lots of work (in some cases) to reduce scratches and detrimental effects from the film, balance the colours and saturation for example. This has a knock-on effect for viewing those same movies on my CRT screen. The movies actually look better regardless of the fact I can't see full HD. A perfect example, if extreme, was "The Eagle Has Landed". On my DVD it was 4:3 ratio, and had excessive grain, and colours were a little washed out, contrast poor. The Blu-Ray release was 2.35:1 ratio, and all the problems had been erased. It was a vastly superior image, and all because it was on the new format. I buy my Blu's only because they offer an upgrade on an older catalogue film, such as my example just now, OR because its a new film I don't already have on DVD, OR if I want to start replacing my favourites (and I might have a little perk of a better transfer to view). Once I have my HDTV I can enjoy them even more, but for now, I am perfectly happy with Blu on CRT. There is a difference from DVD->Blu via CRT, but it depends what work has been done on the Blu compared to the DVD, and also how old the film is.

Last edited:

softsorter

i think your going to struggle with a new CRT as far as i'm aware the main st retailers dont stock them anymore or from what i have seen.

i have just upgraded from a 28 wide screen panasonic to a new Panasonic th-42px80b and i really pleased its SD pictures are really impressive, best i think is have a look at you local outlet and judge if a lcd / plasm is going to suit your lounge at what ever distance is where you view at.

i'm 10ft from my HD Ready Plasma and have no complaints what so ever, i had a problem getting rid of my immaculate 28 crt no one wanted it :eek:

mecca30uk

Novice Member
I have a samsung slimfit 32" CRT HD tv

I have the best of both worlds, i can watch SD in 100hz goodness, then plug in my xbox360 and play and watch up to 1080i or 720p or anything under that

I can tell you now HD even on this CRT trashes the normal 100hz SDpicture, it really is like night and day.

I tried playing my xbox in 480p mode and i could barely read the writing, and the games looked so bad i couldn't play them, i guess because im now used to HD gaming.

There is a massive difference between SD and HD even at the lower 720p

onkeh

Novice Member
Old CRT TVs seem to be disappearing from the shops, but I would assume that both newHD and nonHD are still on offer.
To be honest I think you'll be struggling to find a non-HD panel in anything other than portable sizes.

HTM seems to say 32" and upwards for HD, Hawklord is uncommital, and Ian J does say HD is no better on a 32" JVC.
It depends on the viewing distance, for the love of god. How far do you sit away from the TV?

Last edited:

topmba

Novice Member
The difference between SD and HD is night and day IMHO. I have a Mitsubishi 32" CRT - sitting 8ft away I can see the horizontal lines of pixels. Same distance from my 7ft wide HD front projection screen and I see no visible pixels. SD was OK for 27" or less TVs - HD is way better for 32" and up TVs. Of course any TV can only look as good as the signal it is fed.
That is not a progressive scan crt like the 36zp18

Mr Quint

Distinguished Member
I Had the 36zp48p up untill around 12 months ago, Stunning CRT. The xbox 360 looked Unreal via component. However since getting the Sammy LE46M86 I have never looked back, stunning HD screen IMHO. :thumbsup:

Sonic67

Banned
I think all the HD TV owners may still have a CRT somewhere in the house or have upgraded from one.

To the OP I moved my 28" CRT into the back room/kitchen where it's fine for in there. I wouldn't want it as my main set. When I go to other people's houses I sometimes wonder how they can watch on what's seems like such a small TV.

Regarding HD on some films it's as different as AM and FM. I sometimes don't bother with some buying some DVD's as they are 'only SD'. Instead I might watch them on PPV till the blu-ray is out.

X

xraffle

This question is very interesting. Some people claim there is a huge difference while some say there is very little to no difference. I guess it all depends on what you're watching and how good your eyesight is. From what I've seen, there is a difference, but it's not that much. But that's just my opinion.

KiLLiNG-TiME

Distinguished Member
Intresting topic..

Well I for one am still using my Philips 32"CRT 100HZ brought in 1997 reasons well beside the cost of upgrading it's still working beautifully with my DV-717 for the moment, & i dont really watch to much TV only movies so sound for me became more important + i was waiting to see which format would win out HD or Blueray as i didn't want to be caught in the vhs/betamax problem again !!!

Last edited:

Canti1982

I tried playing a blu-ray movie on my old 32" loewe Nemos and compared it to the same film on standard dvd. The blu-ray looked far worse as the image had to be scaled to fit the screen. As a result it seemed pointless to buy blu-ray movies until I had a suitable display.

I now own a Pioneer 428xd and have to say I have been very impressed. The pioneer plasmas are amoung some of the few screens that I felt really improved on my crt. DVD looks great and blu-ray a big improvement again, its just a shame there are not more titles to choose from.

At the end of the day both formats are good but the big deciding factor is your display. Most people dont even know how good standard dvd can really be!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews

Latest News

What's new on Netflix UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Warner Bros 2021 movies coming to HBO Max and cinemas simultaneously
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
4K Streaming impacts carbon emissions says Royal Society
  • By Andy Bassett