HD Is it really different?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Barr_y, Apr 23, 2007.

1. Barr_y

Barr_y
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have had SKY HD for some months now but with my Pioneer Plasma have yet to find much difference in picture quality. The sound is better with 5.1 digital on some programs.

When I press the (i) on some HD programs they are the same as the ordinary channels when pressing the (i) button. Some not even saying that they are HD DD. They have a W only meaning wide screen but I can't see any picture difference at all.

So is the £10 I am paying just a con by Sky?

2. Neil Watson

Neil Watson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    SkyOneHD is not HD all the time and the small print says as much :(

Its a simulcast of SkyOne but where the HD version is available (e.g 24, Lost, Battlestar Galatica, etc) they show that. When SkyOneHD is showing Sd content the logo changes to just be SkyOne. When its showing HD content the logo says SkyOneHD.

There are a few other Sky Channels that do this but non SkyHD channels are always HD.

The other thing to note is the most Sky installers will connect up the Scart lead along with the HDMI lead. Most TV's auto switch to Scart but don't for HDMI. Net effect is that everytime you turn the skyhd box on even if you had HDMI selected previously you end up watching the Scart input instead and you won't see any difference on the HD channels as they are downscaled when output through scart.

hth

3. Mattster12

Mattster12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The HD I mostly watch is football and it is a lot better than SD, The picture quality has got better and better in my opinion. If it wasn't for football I wouldn't bother with HD to be honest but I'm happy to pay the extra tenner a month just for all the footy we get to watch in lovely HD.

4. Barr_y

Barr_y
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Neil. Sometimes when I watch Freeview channels switching between Sky, the actual freeview is a far better picture in the way it seems more natural on my screen.

I have the controls set to Full on both but Sky seems to make people a little bit squat, especially when watching tennis.

Also is it possible to run an aerial cable from the HD box to another TV in another room and still watch Sky HD? I have a small 19" LCD HD ready TV in my dining room which has a Sky freeview card installed?

My Sky box is only connected to my TV by HDMI cable and sound comes through my Denon AVR when watching HD programs with DD sound, so no problem with scarts at all.

5. Ewoody

Ewoody

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +307

my thoughts entirely.
    HD football is a god's send.

ITV are living in the dark ages.
    Not looking forward to Man U v AC milan.

6. Mattster12

Mattster12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Neither was I but luckily I've got a ticket for that game :)

7. Neil Watson

Neil Watson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    If the freeview is built into the TV then yes ts quite likely to look better than Sky's SD channels.

A setting of Full would imply to me that its attempting to fill the widescreen TV frame at all times. Any non-widescreen content on SD channels would get stretched but in a non-linear fashion (it sort of keeps the middle section of the screen correct and progressively stretches the left and right sides more the nearer to the edges you get. I would expect a setting of Widescreen or 16:9 would give the correct shape?

As to Sky Freeview Card installed - not sure what you mean by this other than you have a sky box in you dining room too and have a Sky FreeSat card plugged into it? Yes you can output HD on your 19in LCD HD Ready screen (I have one too in my Kitchen :)) as the SkyHD box can output HD on both the component AND the HDMI sockets at the same time. You will need to run either a component & stereo audio leads (5phono leads in total), or component + digital audio lead (if your 19in TV has a digital audio input) from the back of the SkyHD box if your currently use the HDMI output.

8. Barr_y

Barr_y
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sorry Mattster and Ewoody not a big football fan these days. If they got rid of the stupid offside rule and didn't have so many foreign players and went back to good old attacking football it may excite me again.

What use is an offside rule when the whole point of the game is to score goals. Mark my words nobody would be offside if they did away with the rule, teams would certainly make sure they always had players behind attackers, so then you wouldn't see a lot of fairies all running forward trying to trap attacking players into offside.

9. Barr_y

Barr_y
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks again Neil. Yes you are right I do have another Sky box in my dining room with a Sky FreeSat card plugged in.

All I want to do really is watch the Grand Prix on Sunday's when we have visitors and are dining in the dining room. It doesn't have to be HD as TV is not watched much in the dining room. I know that seems rude but when family come they also like to watch it as well and we do have dinner at about 1 to 1.30PM.

That's why I wondered if just an extension aerial from the second out socket would work. My Sony TV does have RGB and also an extra composite connection, but not really interested in sound quality.

10. Neil Watson

Neil Watson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    In which case yes a bit of RF cable is all you need as you could just plug that from the 2nd Rf output on either of the Sky boxes as both pick up ITV1. If you wanted to go for broke you could even add a Sky magic eye device onto the kitchen end of it and beable to control which ever sky box you have the RF lead coming from.

I've have done this with my SkyHD box. I have a RF aerial cable running from it with a magic eye on the end along with a HDMI cable (my Main TV is plugged into the SkyHD box via component as for that TV it gives a sharper image than HDMI). The HDMi cable gives me HD to the 2nd TV while the RF cable allows me to control it. The RF lead isn't actually plugged into the 2nd TV, it just has the magic eye on the end of it.

11. Barr_y

Barr_y
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thank you Neil. I am not sure what you mean about magic eye though. Could you explain where I would find this, or what it actually is please?

I have tried the component leads against the HDMI connection, but on my TV the picture is so clear anyway there isn't any difference. Even my analogue picture is great, not that we have that on a lot, except sometimes when I am recording two programs and switch to freeview which we are not supposed to have in our area and it breaks up a bit.

12. Neil Watson

Neil Watson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Here you go. This is a 2nd remote and remote eye but you can buy the remote eye on its own too.

http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/sto...null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=418024&category_oid=

It plugs onto the end of the aerial lead that comes from your Sky box (and you can then plug this into the back of the TV if you are viewing it via the aerial lead - best not :D) and provides a 2nd remote reciever that you place near your 2nd TV. This 2nd reciever relays any remote signals back to the sky box via the aerial lead and allows the sky box to be controlled from this 2nd room.

If the link doesn't work goto the currys website and enter 418024 into the search box.

13. mmace

mmace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    really?
    if they got rid of the offside rule then no one would be offside?
    how did you work that one out?

14. Barr_y

Barr_y
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Think about it. That is the point, what good is offside. It would make sure that nobody was offside by just getting rid of the rule. Would you let an opposing player or two wait near the goal past for a ball to be booted up to him without making sure they weren't covered by defenders. I don't think so.

15. erniebert1

erniebert1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    No m8 its not a con at all. I'm very happy with HD, I knew what i was getting before I bought it & I can clearly see a difference between SD & HD and think its 100% worth paying £10 a month for that difference. Football is excellent, HD programmes like Lost & rescue me are excellent examples of the quality of HD.

I also watch as much SD programmes on the HD channels as possible, as personally a SD programme on a HD channel is better quality than a SD programme on a SD channel :thumbsup:

lee

16. Barr_y

Barr_y
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    That may be the difference in TV quality. I have had lots of relations and friends who can't tell the difference in quality on my Pioneer when switching between SD shown on HD than on SD.

The best pictures on HD definitely come from BBC on Sky. I also like the pictures on Sky1 but as yet they are not brilliant.

17. Barr_y

Barr_y
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Neil thank you for all your input. I have now had a look at the magic eye when I went to Maplins today. I just wish I hadn't bothered to put a cable from my LNB and only having the free sat card. I can always put another hole through from my lounge to my dining room as the TV's are back to back, only a couple of foot distance.

18. Neil Watson

Neil Watson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Your welcome.

If its only a few feet I'd go the whole distance and along with the RF cable I'd also run a HDMI or Component+StereoAudio cable through to the dining room too :) Might as well get a better picture too as a 2.5m HDMI cable is £8 from audiovisual online and a Belkin Pure-AV 1.8m component lead is also £8 from pcworld website :smashin:

19. SickStu

SickStu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    You could always watch Hibs v Dunfermline which is on SS2 HD at the same time :smashin:

'mon ra cabbage 'n ribs !

20. Ewoody

Ewoody

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +307
    No thanks, I'll somehow watch a artefact infested 16.9 offering from ITV (Man U v AC Milan)
    Roll on wednesday night, chelsea v liverpool .. HD heaven.

21. peter09

peter09
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think that the User experience of HD is similar to that of HiFi. Quite often I have found (my self included) that it is difficult initially to isolate a change in quality of HiFi kit. People often do not really recognise the change. Its only after a while that people start to hear the difference. The appreciation comes not from moving up in quality but when you try to go back. "Wheres all the Bass gone, where is the bells gone in that bit?"
    You do not realise what is missing until you have heard whats there.

I find this with HD. Its only when you start watching a program in HD and then move back to watching in SD that you begin to appreciate the rubbish picture. Suddenly all that blur and artifacts really standout. How many people realise that the textures on material and surfaces are missing in SD, not many, its only when they see it and appreciate it in HD does the impact come through. This does not happen immediately, its a process that takes some time, days, weeks may be.

PC

22. Barr_y

Barr_y
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Neil I have tested the connection from HD box to second TV in Dining room and on the small screen the pictures are great even with just the RF cable. I have also tried connecting RF through my DVD recorder then to TV in dining room, but I am not sure if it can record like that. I have tried but at the moment it doesn't seem to work. Can you record from the 2nd output of the HD box?

23. RockStrongo

RockStrongo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Totally wrong.

If you scrap the offside rule, there's nothing to stop "babylining" - players hanging around in the penalty area waiting for a long ball to be booted up to them. It's a recipe for static players and long ball tactics - the exact reason why the offside rule was brought in in the first place.
    Believe it or not the offside rule actually encourages excitement and attacking football by giving the game some balance and allowing for organised formations and tactics.
    If you haven't figured this out by now you're watching the wrong sport. Try tennis instead.