HD install - what to do with old equipment

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Allsaint11, Feb 7, 2009.

1. Allsaint11

Allsaint11
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi folks, i stumbled across this forum when i started thinking about getting sky+HD. I'm getting it installed next friday (13)! and would like to do the following:

Give my current sky+ box to my father. He already has a sky+ box and a standard one and wants to swap the standard one for my sky+. Will it just be a matter of him pairing his card to the +box or is it more complicated than that? (he has 5/6 mixes and the sport package).

Use my ancient standard sky box to get sky freesat. I believe there is a one-off fee of £20 but would i need to contact sky to let them know beforehand or will the installer be able to sort it out while he's here?

Thanks in advance, Sean.

2. willduval

willduval

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    from the Freesat from Sky FAQ

Q: I already have Sky digital satellite equipment - what else do I need?

A: All you need to gain access to the free channels available on the digital satellite platform is a Freesat from Sky viewing card, which costs just £19.57. If you’d like to access the interactive services available, you’ll also need a working phone line. To purchase a viewing card please phone Sky on 08448 244 400.

I'm not sure about the Sky+ question

3. GasDad

GasDad
    Remembered (1964-2012)

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +758
    That will work if he has a multiroom sub. If he doesn't he won't be able to use the recording facilities of the box. Assuming he has multiroom, to make the the best use of the box, he will need another feed (cable) from the dish to the sky+ box (to watch one thing and record another etc).

Then as you say pair his card to the box.

It isn't part of the normal install (you aren't having multiroom) - you are right about the fee. However presumably the box is going in another room - ask the installer how much he'll charge you to run a set of cables to the new room (I'd get two put in in case you ever go to multiroom).

James

4. Allsaint11

Allsaint11
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the help chaps. Was going to ask how much a couple of cables would cost but i've just spied a similar thread!

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009