1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD in the near future

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Sly Fly, Jan 27, 2005.

1. Sly Fly

Sly Fly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +718
    Despite my trying to find out, I can't seem to locate any info on the whole High Definition malarky with respect to timing. Sources seem to contradict each other.

Right. I've just bought a TV. 36ZP48P CRT. Didn't want to get a Plasma just yet, what with the HDCP thing going on. Much rather get this one, and then sell it three years down the line and upgrade when things have properly sorted themselves out.

Also want to buy a DVD player with component output to complement the TV. Question is, when are the whole shebang of HD DVD Players coming out? And will they be able to play regular DVD's? I ask this as that will determine whether I buy a moderately expensive DVD player, or a cheapy-but-goody.

Cheers for any advice,

Sly

2. beeblebrox12

beeblebrox12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HD-DVD players will be coming out at the end of 2005. They will play normal DVDs too but the price is expected to be around $1000 initially.

3. TOSHMANIAC

TOSHMANIAC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    im in the same situation as you SLY FLY,this HDTV business is doing my head in,the route im going down is this;
    just bought a cheap dvd player with prog scan and optical out-£28 to tide me over for the next few months cos ill be buying one of the new dvd recorders with a HDMI output.as i see it,early adopters to HDTV will be ripped off,so i will be content to UPSCALE my films to 720p or 1080i.not ideal i know,but its a good compromise until it all settles down

4. pdundas

pdundas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HD-DVD (USA): 4th quarter 2005
    HD-DVD (Europe): Not known
    Blu-Ray (USA): Early 2006
    Sky HD (UK): During 2006

5. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    I believe HD DVD is going for a worldwide release Q4 2005. :cool:

Steve

6. Sly Fly

Sly Fly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +718
    I see...

Well I think I'm going to go the way of the ToshManiac and also purchase a cheapy-but-goody and see what occurs. Nice to know that HD DVD players will play regular DVD's. Thought they would, but best to check.

Will there be any benefit playing a HD Disc on my 36" CRT? Or can you only take advantage of HD through a DVI and HDMI output?

Thanks for the replies guys.

7. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    You may want to start it all off by buying a PS3 that supports Blu Ray and/or a PC drive. Same for HD DVD.

That way even if one format or the other doesnt take off, you are still left with a functioning product.