HD Impressions - My first two months

TheBlueBrazil

Setup:

Panasonic 42PX70 - display
Sky HD - source (HDMI) set to AUTO
Panasonic SC-HT550 - audio optical connection to Sky HD

Having had Sky HD for a couple of months here is my thoughts.

Sky HD box - Great for quality of HD programming broadcast, very poor software/hardware leading to numerous recording failures and random reboots.

Picture quality - the 42PX70 does a good job dealing with 576p SD output from the HD box. Not as good as a 32" CRT but very watchable, getting better as the hours clock up on the screen I think.

HD Channels -

BBC HD - Excellent, only fault would be that the EPG isn't always as accurate as it could be leading to some recording issue.

Sky One HD - Must get more HD programming, don't watch much on this channel

Sky Arts HD - See Sky One HD comments

Sky Movies HD - Very good picture quality although no Star Wars in the last 2 months. Have watched a lot of films on the movies HD channels. Very pleased. SBO HD is good as well thanks to recent 2 free films offer. PQ excellent although sound issue with Movies HD2 was a disappointment as I was looking forward to Starship Troopers HD.

Sky Sports HD - What the setup was bought for. The USPGA in HD was truely remarkable. HD Cricket looks amazing as well. I feel slightly let down with HD Football though. Although the PQ is fantastic on the slow pans and slower action shots as soon as a fast pan starts the motion blur is more noticable to me than it was in SD. I had to go round to a mates house and watch their SD 28" CRT just to determine if my setup was faulty or not. Hopefully I will become more accustomed to the motion blur as time moves on. Not sure if my problem is that I 'look out' for these sorts of things and that is what is making me see the problem.

Discover/History/National Geographic - Fantastic in every way. National Geographic SD was always one of my favourite channels anyway so a chance to see some of it's programming in HD is fantastic. Sky should run Arts and Sky one HD like these channels are run with 100% HD programming.

So come on Sky and the BBC, lets have more HD please.

.Griff.

Setup:

Panasonic 42PX70 - display
Sky HD - source (HDMI) set to AUTO
Panasonic SC-HT550 - audio optical connection to Sky HD

Having had Sky HD for a couple of months here is my thoughts.

Sky HD box - Great for quality of HD programming broadcast, very poor software/hardware leading to numerous recording failures and random reboots.

Picture quality - the 42PX70 does a good job dealing with 576p SD output from the HD box. Not as good as a 32" CRT but very watchable, getting better as the hours clock up on the screen I think.

HD Channels -

BBC HD - Excellent, only fault would be that the EPG isn't always as accurate as it could be leading to some recording issue.

Sky One HD - Must get more HD programming, don't watch much on this channel

Sky Arts HD - See Sky One HD comments

Sky Movies HD - Very good picture quality although no Star Wars in the last 2 months. Have watched a lot of films on the movies HD channels. Very pleased. SBO HD is good as well thanks to recent 2 free films offer. PQ excellent although sound issue with Movies HD2 was a disappointment as I was looking forward to Starship Troopers HD.

Sky Sports HD - What the setup was bought for. The USPGA in HD was truely remarkable. HD Cricket looks amazing as well. I feel slightly let down with HD Football though. Although the PQ is fantastic on the slow pans and slower action shots as soon as a fast pan starts the motion blur is more noticable to me than it was in SD. I had to go round to a mates house and watch their SD 28" CRT just to determine if my setup was faulty or not. Hopefully I will become more accustomed to the motion blur as time moves on. Not sure if my problem is that I 'look out' for these sorts of things and that is what is making me see the problem.

Discover/History/National Geographic - Fantastic in every way. National Geographic SD was always one of my favourite channels anyway so a chance to see some of it's programming in HD is fantastic. Sky should run Arts and Sky one HD like these channels are run with 100% HD programming.

So come on Sky and the BBC, lets have more HD please.

I'd have to agree with everything you've written there.

You must have been unlucky as I've had Sky HD about the same amount of time as you and the very first film I managed to watch, and record, in HD was Revenge of the Sith (amazing btw).

I would recommend changing "Auto" to "1080i" though.

Edit - The only thing I would add is, and touch wood here, my box has had no recording failures or reboots (yet).

remlap

Novice Member
I would recommend changing "Auto" to "1080i" though.

Yes I'm sure everyone loves stretchy-vision or having to switch the set with the remote.

SKY One HD I'm assuming cant be full time HD due to rerun rights, the documentary HD channels are their own commissioned productions and can be rerun as much as they like.

They would quickly lose rights by rerunning stuff often.

.Griff.

Yes I'm sure everyone loves stretchy-vision or having to switch the set with the remote.

And again in layman's terms?

CarlB

And again in layman's terms?

Because if you set the Sky box to 1080i, everything is displayed in widescreen, and this means 4:3 programmes are stretched to fill the screen. With 'Auto', 4:3 programming is correctly displayed as 4:3 with black bars down either side of the picture.

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
I have mine set to auto but I still find 4:3 programmes stretched. Probably a question for a different thread but any ideas why? It's a Sony lucadatoov

.Griff.

Because if you set the Sky box to 1080i, everything is displayed in widescreen, and this means 4:3 programmes are stretched to fill the screen. With 'Auto', 4:3 programming is correctly displayed as 4:3 with black bars down either side of the picture.

You sure? Some 4:3 material appears on mine with black bars down the side using the 1080i setting.

remlap

Novice Member
I have mine set to auto but I still find 4:3 programmes stretched. Probably a question for a different thread but any ideas why? It's a Sony lucadatoov

Possibly your set does not support auto switching or you have it switched of in the menu's.

You sure? Some 4:3 material appears on mine with black bars down the side using the 1080i setting.

Yes we are, SKY Arts shows 4:3 programs the correct way, probably due to the fact I still believe its a separate operation to the rest of the SKY HD Channels.

.Griff.

I understand what you're saying remlap but I can think of various examples of 4:3 material that isn't stretched (as you suggest using 1080i).. Moto GP on BBC2, various foreign football feeds on channel 4, channel 5, Eurosport, Tennis, Volleyball and other various sports on Eurosport. None of which are "stretched" to fill the screen.

TheBlueBrazil

When threads go bad

pwood

Scaler in the Panasonic is better than HD box, at least on my older PV500 so I agree Auto is the best option on a Panny. Different screens will produce different results.

remlap

Novice Member
I understand what you're saying remlap but I can think of various examples of 4:3 material that isn't stretched (as you suggest using 1080i).. Moto GP on BBC2, various foreign football feeds on channel 4, channel 5, Eurosport, Tennis, Volleyball and other various sports on Eurosport. None of which are "stretched" to fill the screen.

I believe all those except Eurosport hard-code Pillars into their signal.

Have you viewed the likes of Living, FX ect all are still 4:3 with some cracking shows but I would not want to stretch a 4:3 letter-boxed format to 16:9 if possible.

.Griff.

I believe all those except Eurosport hard-code Pillars into their signal.

Have you viewed the likes of Living, FX ect all are still 4:3 with some cracking shows but I would not want to stretch a 4:3 letter-boxed format to 16:9 if possible.

Aah I see.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom