1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hd Help!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by marke, Jul 8, 2005.

1. marke

marke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys, another newbie who's 'lost in space' I'm afraid.

Just got a Panasonic 42" TH42PV500CAB High Definition Plasma FREEVIEW Digital TV+DMRES10EBS DIGA DVD Recorder but I am not that impressed so far.

My queries are:

1.How do I get the best out of the system?
    2.Should I get a pro to set it up and why?
    3.I currently just have it scarted up to the dvd player and skybox...can I improve the picture by using other leads?

Any advice most welcome please

2. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Connect the DVD recorder to the plasma using good quality component leads, then set it for progressive scan output.

Make sure that the Sky box is outputting in RGB mode (Settings -> Picture Settings
    -> should say 'RGB', not 'PAL').

That should give you the best that you're going to get at the moment. Could try checking the plasma forums for advice on which settings to use on the plasma for best results. There are several owners of this plasma on there at the moment.

3. marke

marke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for quick response
    SKY is set to RGB but picture is not great; checked settings for SKY and seems that signal strength is good but quality is half way....does this effect picture?
    When you say "component leads" do you mean scart or others...sorry bit thick with new toys!

4. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +824
    Marke, you should be impressed.

Component leads are a very good video connection that uses coaxial RCA connectors like the usual video or audio connectors, but three of them just for the video. The connections are called Y-U-V or Y-Cr-Cb or Y-Pb-Pr. You may not find suitable leads in every shop, but they will be worth hunting down and connecting.

Your source will probably output component all the time, but may need to have progressive scan output manually selected (very worthwhile).

The display will probably need to have the component input selected manually, but it should pick up the progressive scan input automatically.

BTW, does the DVD player output RGB on scart? That's always the first thing to do, but it won't give you progressive scan.

Does this make sense?

Nick

5. marke

marke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, this is the options that I appear to have:

Panasonic Plasma seems to have every connection known to man....

DVD has : SCART - presently being used
    Component outs as you describe
    S-Video
    Optical digital audio out...whatever that is

SKY has: SCART - presently being used
    Digital Interface (under a cover that has screws removing to access)
    RS 232.....looks like a pc port to me
    RF in / out for aerials

I will set the DVD to progressive and see if that helps

Any other thoughts as to the connections that I should use?
    Cheers

6. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Progressive scan only works through the component connection - forget the scart! Quickest way to get the leads is to go down to your nearest Currys etc. You'll need to decide how much you want to spend. They usually have medium quality leads from e.g. JVC and higher quality from e.g. Monster. Depends on how deep your pockets are and whether you'll notice the small improvement from the more expensive leads. Bear in mind that if you want to go for the really good ones, they are cheaper online, from companies such as Lektropacks and Keene.

Link for cable
    Don't for get that you'll also need a stereo audio cable to go with this, as the component leads don't carry the sound.

If your Sky box is in RGB mode and you're using a good scart lead, then that's it as far as Sky goes. You'll notice that the picture quality varies a lot between the different channels. This is due to the amount compression that the broadcaster uses (not Sky, who don't have any control over this).

7. marke

marke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice AV Junky.
    The main thing that I was not that impressed with was some of the SKY channels...some are very good, others not so good. At least I now know why.
    Looks like I'll be buying some component leads this week plus audio lead...

Cheers

8. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    I'm glad you got some helpful advice but this isn't really a HD question as outlined in the title of this thread maybe it'd been better placed in the plasma forum.

9. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    Hello all

neilmcl - maybe not a true HD Question as such but possibly highlights that folk are being 'sold' HD Ready displays without any explanation that the source has a profound effect on what you see on screen; if you only get a demo of HD on these TV's your likely to be a touch disappointed with some of your SD sources!

marke - once you have the optimal connectivity between your sources and your PlasmaTV (YUV 'Component' or RGB SCART for the DVR and RGB SCART for the SKY Digibox) you then have to consider how to ensure your seeing the source signal at its best on your TV in your room.

You can :

01. Try fiddling with the User menu controls - though hard to judge where to set them if you have no reference!

02. Invest in a copy of DVE or AVIA Set up Discs (see AVForums Power Buy section - search for Piero Milani) and for sub £20.00 you can use your DVD player and a few cups of coffee to 'eye in' your TV using the user menu adjustments.

03. Invest in the NEW SpyderTV Home Theatre Calibration system (SRP £200.00) and this time use your DVD player and the supplied optical analyser (along with your PC) to take the guess work out of where to set the user menu settings.

04. Call in the Professionals - for £250+ you can have someone visit and accurately calibrate your TV to as near Broadcast Settings as the manufacturer has made it possible to achieve.

Best regards

Joe

PS Just to be clear your PlasmaTV is HD Ready - the included Freeview Tuner is most definitely Standard Definition :)

10. marke

marke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Joe,
    Many thanks for your very good advice, it is really appreciated.
    Your comment on buying HD Palsma etc is also sound and quite rightly expresses concern with the actual process that seems to be used at present to sell these units with as little information as seems possible. I actually did a lot of homework before committing to this particular unit which seems fairly well rated for the cost.

I will be playing further with the user controls and may consider getting a pro to look if I cannot get a satisfactory result myself...I don't give up easily. I also live in Cornwall and we don't have many pro's out in these 'ere parts!(not that sort of pro's anyway)

As for me not using the forum in quite the right context....I thought that my purchase and query was relevant to HD...that's life, I'm new to all of this, just registered, asked a question or two and it didn't kill anyone....please world forgive me! Nuff said.......

Many thanks to the positive advisors, I hope that at some point, as I learn in future, I can give something back.
    Regards
    Mark

PS looking forward to some HD in the future but I note that the date for SKY does not seem clear from other comments made on the forum

11. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    Hello marke

Keep up the feedback - I'm sure many new members of AVForums are encouraged to post when they see other new members having a go and the 'lurkers' will benefit from your 'fiddling' :)

As a minimum investment purchase a Set up Disc from Piero - if your patient and willing to work with the disc instructions it'll pay dividends.

The guys who really know what they are doing with this kit travel around the UK so not a problem I'm sure to plan a visit to Cornwall.

Best regards

Joe

12. marke

marke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Joe,
    Many thanks again for your advice it is appreciated.

Funnily enough after some 'fiddling' this last few days the picture does seem pretty awesome on some channels / programmes, but some others are a bit poor....more fiddling required!
    Next, once I have the leads, I will be 'interfering' with the dvd player until it plays ball. This really is proper boys stuff...playing with tv, dvd and remotes...drives her indoors mad!

Cheers
    Mark

13. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Hi Mark, sorry if it seemed that I jumped on you a bit before about posting in the wrong forum, it's just that your original post didn't really mention anything about HD other that the title and I thought if you posted in the plasma section you might get some more feedback. However it seems the right person did look in on this post anyway and has given you some good advice.

All the best
    Neil.

14. marke

marke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No problem, like I say I'm just learning my way around the systems (and this website!) having just bought my first HD Plasma, so need some advice.
    Cheers
    Mark

15. nm10721

nm10721
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Marke,

can I give you some advice.

Take other advice on this thread!

Get component leads, try this site, they are good, IXOS leads are the bees knees but their are other excellent leads also that are cheaper

http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/scan/ml=10/sf=category/se=Component/se=Video.html

Get a decent scart as stated, Thor cables are a good mid range cable price wise, but their are lots of others.

Once you have these cables, rig the component leads up to your Dvd player, enable progressive scan and put on something like Ice Age or The Incredibles DVD's. Now see if theirs a button on your plasma remote to enhance the picture. I have one on my Hitachi pd5200. It can make the picture very rich and is good for cartoony movies.

Now sit back and enjoy the lush colours and then you will realise why you bought a plasma!

I had the exact same concerns re sky etc. Good cables make a big difference.

And when your'e ready rig ur computer up to ur Plasma :thumbsup: via DVI or Analogue. Download some HD clips and sit back in amazement!

16. marke

marke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for the advice, I will be getting some leads as you have all advised.
    I was concerned with the Sky signal as the signal strength is as high as it goes but the quality is only half way....might have a play with the dish although probably more to do with LNB.
    My pc is 20ft from the plasma so I'll need some long and very good leads! I'm sure that someone must do them. Thanks for the link, I'll be havin' a look later.

Cheers

Mark E