1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD help for philips 32PF9976

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by carpy1, Sep 30, 2005.

1. carpy1

carpy1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Wonder if anyone here can help me

i bought the philips 32PF9976 about a year ago (maybe less)
    one of the main reasons was its support for hdtv, however a more detailed look at philips website it states that this tv does not support 720p, only 1080i.
    But i have also read in these forums that it can display 720p but with a border.

Can anyone clear this up?

also i have read that these tvs have firmware, as i have had my set for over a year im sure i will have the lowest version, Does this have any knock on effects for HD use?

Also am i going to be screwed when sky bring out there new hd box?

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    That model range were launched before HD Ready was introduced so always a slight risk buying one for the future HD services, however the resolution is ok and as long as you have at least one connection with HDCP you should be ok.

I assume the 9976 acts in the same manner as my 9986 in that a 1080i source is scaled to fit the 1366*768 display while a 720p source is 1:1 mapped thus leaving a few unused pixels around the edge. In one way this makes sure you get the best 1280*720 image but on the other you feel short changed. Philips I believe will no longer be developing the firmware for this range of LCD so that's that.

3. carpy1

carpy1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thanks alot for your help

4. diabolik

diabolik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi carpy, did you find out any more about this. Did you get it working at 720p?
    Thanks